KingoftheWorld

Is physical media dying?

I am sure physical media is going away slowly but surely.

I still buy blu rays whenever I actually get a movie.  Actually while I claim all the codes for the digital version that comes with them, I haven't watched one digital version ever 😛 

6 hours ago, 75Live said:

I am sure physical media is going away slowly but surely.

You could be right, in PC gaming physical is almost gone. But I am not so sure for some reasons.

A big one is vinyl/cd still being somewhat popular, music physical sales are still 70% the size of digital (including streaming, physical sales are still bigger than digital sales, i imagine streaming did kill digital sales business quite a bit).

I think there is a reasonable chance it will survive has a niche collectible product for the Criterion and the fan-franchise output.

Or a change could occur in physical hard drive technology that make it really interesting to still physically own your media, say a little quantic cube that could hold 20,000 movies, making it easy to bring your collection anywhere and share it with family/friends without license/Internet access issue and can have high quality 8k, 128 bits by pixels UUHD, lossless 8.2 sound, etc.... 15 terabyte by movie files.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 3:05 PM, Barnack said:

You could be right, in PC gaming physical is almost gone. But I am not so sure for some reasons.

A big one is vinyl/cd still being somewhat popular, music physical sales are still 70% the size of digital (including streaming, physical sales are still bigger than digital sales, i imagine streaming did kill digital sales business quite a bit).

I think there is a reasonable chance it will survive has a niche collectible product for the Criterion and the fan-franchise output.

Or a change could occur in physical hard drive technology that make it really interesting to still physically own your media, say a little quantic cube that could hold 20,000 movies, making it easy to bring your collection anywhere and share it with family/friends without license/Internet access issue and can have high quality 8k, 128 bits by pixels UUHD, lossless 8.2 sound, etc.... 15 terabyte by movie files.

I still purchase physical game copies for the same reason I occasionally get Blu-Rays. Storage space. The PS4 or hard drive has limited storage space so I need to get the disc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I still purchase physical game copies for the same reason I occasionally get Blu-Rays. Storage space. The PS4 or hard drive has limited storage space so I need to get the disc.

A 4 TB external drive for your PS is what $130 ? That about 200 dual side Blu-Rays, slow storage space got quite cheap over the year's