115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Stands up to any of Pixar's great films. It's not perfect - because this is arguably Pixar's most abstract premise, the movie feels the need to constantly explain itself and make sure everyone understands what's going on almost every time it takes the viewer to unfamiliar territory, which is handled about as well as could be, but it's still noticeable. Visually it could have also been a bit more adventurous (I'm thinking one or two more sequences in the vein of the abstract thought scene, which is a stand-out), plus that dumb Brazilian pilot scene from the trailers is still in there, though it goes down better in the film.

Those are small issues though, and on the whole the movie is a captivating journey that's funny, poignant, and bursting with energy and imagination from start to finish. Unlike more than a few Pixar films, it's very internally consistent (i.e. neither the first or the third act is obviously stronger or weaker than the other), and what I really appreciate is that it 1) has no antagonists, and, more specifically, makes Bing Bong one of the saddest characters in Pixar history instead of a twist villain, which would be really cheap at this point; 2) makes an explicit case for the value of sadness/Sadness and thus doesn't attempt to bullshit anyone in the audience, most importantly kids, for a minute; and 3) makes Riley herself an engaging, well-realized character; you could cut all the scenes taking place inside her head and still end up with a great 20-minute short film about a young girl's anxieties while growing up.

My third favorite movie of the year so far behind The Duke of Burgundy and Mad Max: Fury Road.
  • Like 8

Pixar's best films take broad, ridiculous, what-if components (rat chefs, romantic bots, talking toys, houses that fly) and use them to tell just as universal but generally more painfully emotional stories about adulation, success, loss, maturity, and just about any other raw nerve you can think of. INSIDE OUT is perhaps the best example of why Pixar's formula works so splendidly--Docter and company turn the mechanics of the mind into complete metaphor to tell a thrilling, funny, fast-paced adventure that's literally all about a 12-year-old girl developing complex emotions and memories. This is the endless spacial imagination of MONSTERS INC. weaved with the coming of age complexity of UP. This movie is the real freaking deal, folks. Not to even mention it has possibly the best Pixar voice performance in Amy Poehler and the best Pixar score in Michael Giacchino.

I'll let you know where it ranks among the Pixars once I've seen it three more times but I can tell you right now it's one of their best.

• Like 10

It starts strong, but the first half is just slightly above average, the last half is pretty brilliant though. That's my take until I watch it again in proper conditions.

I didn't like the first half that much because of the annoying back and forth between emotions and human world, it is very awkwardly edited together, preventing a connection with either Joy or Riley. Also didn't like the need that they had to show personalities island every damn time something happened to Riley, like, we got it already.

The score reminds me of The Incredibles mixed with Toy Story, but it is not as impressive as the former.

The last half was pretty great for various reasons, the emotional moments are clearly one (Bing Bong sacrifice and the ending :cry:), another one is the fascinating world and its characters, the super satisfying conclusion and the magnetic execution that doesn't let you take your eyes off the screen.

90/100
  • Like 2

Outstanding

A

Pros: You remember that good light feeling you had at the very last scene of Monsters Inc.? That's what Inside Out did for me.

Pixar yet again delivers in hitting emotional buttons. The film made this grown man smile and yes, tear up a little (especially when Riley broke down in front of her parents at the end).

Cons: this more than any other Pixar film will go over the heads of children. All Pixar movies appeal to all age groups but I can see kids not appreciating this one as much as others due to its complex themes.

Where does this rank among Pixar movies for you?

The first half was a little infantile and kind of boring except for the occasional laugh. The 2nd half was fantastic and one of Pixars best, incredibly emotional. Also the abstract thought scene was brilliant! Very reminiscent of Toy Story 3 in that I feel it affects my own way of looking at the world. When I saw Toy Story 3, I felt bad for all the toys I forgotten and tossed aside, inanimate as they were. Inside Out is just going to make me think that everyone has little voices inside there head and whenever an emotion becomes visible I'm going to dissect the cause. Weird but impactful upon me.

A- overall.

I was also appreciative of the credits scene where the emotions of many different characters were shown. It was a great scene to see inside other peoples head in the movie like the mother and father so it was great to see more of that.

Edited by OmegaSupreme

That was such a beautiful scene. Bing Bong fading away had me in tears. :(

I kind of saw it coming. I choked up a little but it didn't hit me like some other scenes. That scene of Joy crying over the memories; the emphasis on Joy expressing another emotion...I lost it there. Great animation and voice acting during that scene, it was executed tremendously.

Makes you wonder what goes on in their little heads...

• Like 1

I love the fact that the memories at the end were mixed. As we grow up few things are black and white. Memories are often sad and happy. 

Very inventive film. Might be one of Pixar's best the more I think about it.  If I had a bottom 5 and a top 5 for Pixar.

Bottom 5: Cars 2, Cars, A Bugs Life, Brave, Monsters University

Top 5: Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 1, Incredibles.

So Inside Out would be part of the middle tier (Wall-E, etc) which ranks it above every non-Miyazaki movie.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 3

The image of Joy shooting up on the wagon while Bing Bong jumped off as she's singing is as tearjerking to me as anything from a Takahata film. Ugh.

What kills me about the scene is that what Bing Bong cared about more than anything is making Riley happy, and the reason he accepted his fate and was so willing to jump off was that he knew she needed Joy. It would have been such an obvious decision for him to betray Joy in order to be remembered and loved again, but Pixar created a truly special character here.

• Like 5

Anyways, this is one of the most superlative animated films I know of. Nearly everything here works amazingly. All of these characters are given full stories and their actions all make sense, while the lack of a villain in the movie is something so rare in tentpole animated films, yet the film has a stronger sense of conflict than so many other films. I ended up caring for the wellbeing of one young girl more than the possible destruction of cities in your typical summer blockbuster. Even some of Disgust, Fear, and Anger's decisions work because they ultimately want what's best for Riley, and all of the emotions really do care not just for Riley, but for one another. Joy gets not only one of the best character arcs in Pixar History, but cherishes every bit of power Amy Poehler gives to her role. Sadness goes without saying, and Bing Bong was another obvious standout who becomes way more unexpected and nuanced a character than I thought going into this film.

Pixar's creativity here has no parallel. They explain these concepts in unique, relatable, and hilarious ways that are simple enough for a child to grasp without dumbing them down. The cartoony visuals are another really nice touch, giving the mind world and the real world unique styles that mesh together beautifully. The Abstract Thought sequence was one of the most entertaining I've seen this year. I have only two very minor quibbles with the film. The first is that it's a bit too short, and I think the action should have been spaced over a bit of a longer time period, but it didn't seem jarring as it was. I also kind of wish Disgust was in it a bit more (I think she didn't have quite as much to do relative to Fear and Anger), but she still had some fun moments (such as how she saves Joy and Sadness at the climax) and it's ultimately a story focused on Joy and Sadness.

It's fantastic. Best of the year so far, and I'm not certain anything else may top it.

• Like 1