115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Absolutely loved it. The humor worked perfectly with Anger's newspapers and the more blatant humor. The scene with the dream productions and Fear's commentary on it was also top notch. Where the film really exceeds though is (surprise, surprise) the emotional aspects. I was sobbing on and off the entire last 30 minutes of the film. To be honest, I've always wanted something like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends but more serious; the idea of moving on from an imaginary friend is the perfect symbolic milestone of growing up and putting aside past innocence. Inside Out gave me back that when I was least expecting it; as soon as Bing Bong shows up, you can guess he's a goner in some sense. No way he is making it back to Headquarters, but you worry subtly that he might become a villain. The exact opposite happens and he ends up being the character who cares about Riley's well-being and happiness more than anyone else. When he sings with Joy one last time, you know exactly what's going to happen but that doesn't make it less soul-crushing.

The other stuff near the end also wrecked me with Riley's reuniting with her parents and the ensuing memories being shown and even beforehand with Joy realizing how sadness is needed for joy to flourish, but nothing topped the wow of Docter's handling of Bing Bong. I'm sure other people here will write more on it, but yeah. Bing Bong is amazing and the film is amazing. A+

• Like 2

Not only is this unquestionably the best Pixar film since Toy Story 3, this actually might be a contender for best movie of the 2010s so far. With Inside Out, Pete Docter tops the accomplishments he achieved with Up. This is one of the most complex and emotionally honest portraits ever on the state of the human psyche. While the movie mainly looks inside the mind of a young girl, the ideas and messages are universal in their appeal. Anyone who claims that Pixar has lost any of their luster should be silenced forever with this. Their best movies work on various different levels, offering a fun and colorful for children while providing some fascinating observations for adults. This is one of their very best. Inside Out also strikes the perfect balance between laughs and heartbreak. For a film that examines human emotions and memories, it will elicit of plenty of different kinds from the audience. While there are many moments that had me in stitches, there are moments of undeniable power that even the most cold-hearted person could choke up at. The voice cast is excellent too, but there are two stand outs. The first is Amy Poehler, who brings to Joy to life in a vivid vocal performance that recalls Ellen Degeneres' Dory in Finding Nemo. The other is Richard Kind, whose Bing Bong becomes one of the most memorable characters ever (his final scene: good god, I still haven't fully recovered). As is always the case with Pixar, the animation is incredible: the world inside Riley's mind is full of such visual detail that repeat viewings are sure to reveal new things. And Michael Giacchino delivers another memorable score for a Pixar film. Memories play a huge part in shaping who we become in our lives, and Inside Out tackles the subject in the way the animation studio does best. It's going to take something really special to come along and try to top this as my choice for the best film of 2015. A

• Like 1

I feel like I'm the only person who liked Lava. I get why others didn't and it's not exactly their most clever short, but I'm sure a four-minute version of that would've irritated people less than the six-minute version. It's cute.

• Like 3

One of Pixar's very best. Emotional, funny, and a beautiful score to boot. Much like the Toy Story films, this makes me think so much of my childhood, which makes me so happy. The casting was also all-around excellent, with Phyllis Smith as Sadness and RIchard Kind as Bing Bong being absolute stand-outs. 

10 / 10, or A+ to be more exact. 

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

I feel like I'm the only person who liked Lava. I get why others didn't and it's not exactly their most clever short, but I'm sure a four-minute version of that would've irritated people less than the six-minute version. It's cute.

I liked Lava. I thought it was pretty cute, and the Hawaii song and setting was nice. 

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

Hmmmm...... A- for my initial reaction. Halfway through it, I was more admiring it than loving it, but the feels got there in the end.

edit: LAVA was great. I absolutely loved it.

Did Tele Jr. love it?

Did Tele Jr. love it? I don't think so. It was a bit esoteric and over his head, and there were some parts he thought were scary. I think he liked it, though.
My cousin reacted similarly. I think he got the main gist of it but the movie quite frankly gets really weird sometimes. I usually find the concerns about Pixar films being too mature for kids pretty overblown but in this case it's hard to really argue with them. This film is kind of like a less grim Where the Wild Things Are Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4

I'll admit I didn't see it with any children, but kids were laughing hysterically at certain points in the movie, particularly the dream sequence with Fear watching. The gum running gag was mostly adults laughing though.

Where the Wild Things Are and Inside Out would make a damn good double feature though

• Like 2