115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Pixar's best animation in ages, there were a couple things that they could have handled a little less obviously, like going a bit to far to make sure the audience understands, a minor gripe was Riley's fears were a bit generic. Broccoli, clowns and basement stairs etc.. just wish they would  have made the character a little more unique, but honesty this movie was amazing, I was in tears at multiple scenes. probably in my top 3 favorite Pixar films. 

• Like 1

Bing Bong's death was absolutely devastating for my girlfriend! :D

Spoilers for Mad Mad: Fury Road and Inside Out

So who had the best sacrifice, Nux or Bing Bong?

:ph34r: 

They are both supposed to elicit different emotions (no pun) from you. 

BB's sacrifice was played straight for melancholy whereas Nux died gloriously on the Fury Road for a cause worthy of his sacrifice, not for the lies he had been fed his entire life by Immortan. It is a great tweak on the standard sacrifice plotline and you are majorly supposed to feel awe and pride at the

real hero Nux eventually turned into. So undoubtedly Nux for me as I haven't seen a character arc quite like that on screen before.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 4

I think Bing Bong also has quite the character arc, as I discuss a bit in the first page here.

What kills me about the scene is that what Bing Bong cared about more than anything is making Riley happy, and the reason he accepted his fate and was so willing to jump off was that he knew she needed Joy. It would have been such an obvious decision for him to betray Joy in order to be remembered and loved again, but Pixar created a truly special character here. 

I love how each character gets a special and unique arc that give their sacrifices purpose and power.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with the film is what tribefan mentioned: the stakes. It never really felt like Joy or Sadness were in any real danger. How could Riley forget something as integral as an entire emotion?

It's pretty great elsewhere though. Its emotional beats are executed flawlessly. Bing Bong's sacrifice was gut-wrenching. Docter is the best there is in animation right now at manipulating emotions. Some of the more abstract parts were great too like abstract thought and the dream sequence.

A-

Special features don't play in front of the movie on the big screen. I'm there to watch the feature film, not the short, so if you're going to play a short in front of the feature film then it should be open to the same kind of criticism as the feature film.

I had forgotten how bad Lava was five minutes into IO, but, yes, it was bad. You'd think Pixar would have better concepts for short films than volcanoes falling in love.

• Like 2

They don't advertise the short on TV. I assume you'd be willing to pay the same price for the movie even if the short wasn't attached.

I suppose the quirkiness of the Hawaiian theme was what appealed to Lasseter. Some people quite liked it too, apparently.

The Lava criticism's starting to get unreasonably harsh, I think. Yes, it's not very good, but they're doing it purely for fun. It's like criticizing a Blu Ray for having a special feature you don't like.

Nobody is criticizing the movie for Lava's shittiness. People have a right to call the short shitty here because this and the IO thread are the only appropriate places to talk about the short on the board.

Also, let's not pretend that the Best Animated Short category is not a good incentive to continuously make these shorts. It's not a slight because obviously people would want recognition for their work, but to claim they are made "purely for fun" is a bit disingenuous.

Edited by Spidey Freak

I don't imagine quality control is anywhere near as stringent on their shorts as it is on their features. They're intended as "training grounds" for their newer talent. An Oscar win is nice but that's just a bonus.

Yeah, if it is indeed "training grounds", then a critique of the short's quality is needed. Also, a short just being nominated for an Oscar, Annie or any of the other big awards goes a long way in increasing cred in the business. Additionally, Pixar has also gotten some extra Blu-Ray/DVD $$$$ by releasing not one but two volumes of short movie collections so far. Now WDAS is following suit. There are perks both for the individual makers and for the studio for producing a well-received short other than simply warming the hearts of cinegoers and BluRay/DVD purchasers.

Edit: In WDAS's defence, their animated shorts from the last decade have tended to be of a far superior quality than Pixar's shorts. So the quality control seems to be more effective there.

Edited by Spidey Freak

I am seeing it again tomorrow, maybe I'll warm up to the short a bit more. It didn't blow me out of the water (no pun intended), but it's still perfectly enjoyable. I don't get reason for the vehement hatred Some people have for it.

• Like 2

I am seeing it again tomorrow, maybe I'll warm up to the short a bit more. It didn't blow me out of the water (no pun intended), but it's still perfectly enjoyable. I don't get reason for the vehement hatred Some people have for it.

Every time I heard "I lava you" I wanted to run out of the theatre. The embarrassing lyrics could have been overlooked if the tired old plot didn't play so safely by the numbers. Even the animation was not out of this world stunning, especially for the same studio that gave us the gorgeous visual fest of Finding Nemo a good twelve years ago

Criticism is warranted but it's the "I can't believe Pixar would even dare put it out" reactions that ruffle my feathers

It's a great thing that people expect nothing but the best from Pixar. You don't want people growing indifferent to your product. Look what's happening to Dreamworks. If ILM doesn't mix things up, their movies are going to suffer the same fate soon enough. You can only milk the silly yellow Minion calves so much.

Edited by Spidey Freak