115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 8/3/2015, 1:50:48, Tamanna Khan said:

Great to know that you liked the movie "Inside Out", I am going to watch it on this Thursday as it releases in the Middle East.

Which is your favorite character from the film?

JOY 

FEAR 

ANGER

DISGUST 

SADNESS

Anger. But probably because I like Lewis Black's style, such as it is.

After my Blu Ray screening, I still maintain I have no clue what children could take out of this movie.

I mean there s actual psychiatrist lingo in there... they are very specific concepts that are addressed that young children could never really "get" and that some adults may not know about. 

I still can't believe they spent 150m+ on this.

Edited by The Futurist

Superior Pixar cinema.

Pixar once again shows itself to be a master of taking a quirky, somewhat off-beat subject, and portraying that subject material in way that lends itself to high-quality cinematic viewing.  Whether we're talking about a young boy's relationship with his toys, a child's fear of monsters, or simply a robot searching for love in a desolate world, Pixar has shown over and over again that it's not about the story per se, but rather how the story is ultimately told.  Flash forward to <i>Inside Out</i>, which has to be considered among their most ambitious projects to date.

Riley and family move to San Francisco from their idyllic Midwest home.  Naturally, there is an adjustment period, but leave it up to Pixar to show that adjustment period in a way that's never been done before.  Specifically, the story is told from Riley's point of view, and how her different emotions (Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger) deal with their new plight in Riley's developing mind.  It is a brilliant set-up that once again shows that, more than anything, Pixar films are masterful at emotionally investing their viewer in a subject.

The greatest strength here has to be the collection of characters on display, and more importantly, how those characters are handled.  They are handled with meticulous care and attention, and as a result no character goes wasted.  I've always thought that Pixar's supporting characters are always crucial in bringing out the film's themes, and such is clearly evident with that of Bing Bong.  Constituting Riley's imaginary friend, it would have been easy for Bing Bong to have simply been one-note comedic relief, but instead he is one of the driving hearts of the entire film.  It is quite clear when a film has strong love for the characters found within.  Thankfully for the viewer, such is very much the case here.

The manner in which the themes are not only written, but also presented are crucial here.  This is a film that could have easily been emotionally manipulative, but instead it becomes a poignant musing over growing up.  What connected with me the most was the way the film brought out the nostalgia connected to our memories.  And ultimately, that is the way the film is able to connect universally to its viewers.  All of us can relate to childhood memories, and the way they make us yearn for more simple times.  It is that very fact that makes the ending montage and demise of Bing Bong such excruciating emotional events.

Emotional turmoil has never been so simultaneously adventurous and devastating.  Such is the Pixar way, plain and simple.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

My opinion hasn't changed much on a new viewing. The beginning and ending are terrific and the message is solid, but any sense of internal logic is utterly lost on me, and makes me wonder why they even bother with Sadness' lines attempting to explain everything. I get that the mind is a random place, but you can't convince me that an emotion is ever in danger of being "forgotten" (Indeed, the movie itself doesn't seem sure either since it makes a joke about Fear not being able to quit). Joy and Sadness' adventure feels artificial and lacking real stakes, with things only happening because the plot dictates them to happen.

Maybe I'm being harsher on this than I should. I appreciate Pete Docter trying something novel for a kids movie but narrative wise I just don't feel like this is anywhere near Pixar's most cohesive effort.

Edited by tribefan695

Give it a few years, everyone will recognise this as being Pixar's best film.

I think everyone who will ever think that has already made their mind up about it. I've watched this three times now and it's not getting any better for me (as opposed to TGD which I love more with every viewing). The first time I saw it I thought I needed to see it again to fully appreciate it, but later viewings have only revealed more shortcomings for me. I know from experience that some Pixar movies just will never fully click, and this is one of them. It doesn't make me angry like Ratatouille but I just can't get swept up in it

On 11/19/2015, 1:15:55, tribefan695 said:

but you can't convince me that an emotion is ever in danger of being "forgotten"

The real heartbreak of the memory dump not that Joy will be forgotten, but it has become so buried deep in Riley's broken mind that with Joy stuck in the dump, she still could never reach Riley, even if she never faded.

But even that doesn't really make sense. If our minds were all designed like that we'd all end up permanently depressed at some point. I feel like there had to be a much less overdramatic way to visualize it

Maybe the problem for me isn't so much "no stakes" as it is "fake stakes". I think it could've worked better for me if it were just about the emotions reacting to Riley's real life drama from her headquarters; having the movie mostly be about Riley with small emotion interludes rather than the other way around

• Community Manager
10 hours ago, Spaghetti-3PO said:

The real heartbreak of the memory dump not that Joy will be forgotten, but it has become so buried deep in Riley's broken mind that with Joy stuck in the dump, she still could never reach Riley, even if she never faded.

So depression.

• Like 1

And not everyone when they get depressed has an imaginary friend on the cusp of being forgotten willing to put in one last effort to save Joy. Probably why the Bing Bong stuff didn't work for me as much.

Also I can't be the only one who thought Sadness' infodumping during the abstract thought scene really detracted from the gleeful absurdity on display. I just wanted to take the visuals in, not listen to why they were happening.

I like to imagine the critical and commercial receptions for the two Pixar films this year were switched around by accident

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎09‎:‎43‎:‎16, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Give it a few years, everyone will recognise this as being Pixar's best film.

its amazing how wrong you all can be. Nemo is far better than this, and will also be remembered as such

even shrek is better than this.

I really wanted this to be better for me than it ended up being, especially with everyone else loving it so much. But I just can't get over how glaringly illogical it is. Good Dinosaur may be scientifically dubious but as an exercise in world-building I thought it was executed better than this