115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

7 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

And not everyone when they get depressed has an imaginary friend on the cusp of being forgotten willing to put in one last effort to save Joy. Probably why the Bing Bong stuff didn't work for me as much.

Also I can't be the only one who thought Sadness' infodumping during the abstract thought scene really detracted from the gleeful absurdity on display. I just wanted to take the visuals in, not listen to why they were happening.

I like to imagine the critical and commercial receptions for the two Pixar films this year were switched around by accident

I think it's all really justified. Bing Bong cared so much about Riley being happy that he was willing to sacrifice herself in order to make sure that Joy could return to headquarters. To me, Bing Bong represents the last trace of pure childhood joy that Riley had, and his sacrifice is symbolic of wanting to make sure Riley is happy, even though he accepts that it can't be truly in the same way she was happy as a child.  Also, the info-dumping kind of works for me, at least it being consistent with how Joy had forced Sadness to read all of the mind journals. It did feel in character with sadness. That, and it's a lot more justifiable given how complex and abstract the film is.

At the same time, I feel like we're both solidified in our opinions that I don't think either of us are budging. Feels like Brave/Wreck-It Ralph all over again. :P

You do you, Tribefan. :) I'm really glad you loved TGD more than a lot of us.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with Bing Bong the character per se, just how the concept of an imaginary friend is presented as the only hope for a child to escape depression

Appreciate you praising my conviction, though. Admittedly I have softened my stance a tad on Brave even though I still think it has a lot going for it (I can't ignore the inconsistent humor and the rushed exposition), but I hope three viewings is enough to solidify my opinion on TGD

Seen this movie 4x now and it is still as wonderful as the 1st time I watched it. I think it might become my favorite animated film of all-time if I watch it a few more times and react to it like I did on my 1st viewing. 

I adore this film so much. 

On 12/15/2015, 11:48:18, Spaghetti-3PO said:

I think it's all really justified. Bing Bong cared so much about Riley being happy that he was willing to sacrifice herself in order to make sure that Joy could return to headquarters. To me, Bing Bong represents the last trace of pure childhood joy that Riley had, and his sacrifice is symbolic of wanting to make sure Riley is happy, even though he accepts that it can't be truly in the same way she was happy as a child.  Also, the info-dumping kind of works for me, at least it being consistent with how Joy had forced Sadness to read all of the mind journals. It did feel in character with sadness. That, and it's a lot more justifiable given how complex and abstract the film is.

At the same time, I feel like we're both solidified in our opinions that I don't think either of us are budging. Feels like Brave/Wreck-It Ralph all over again. :P

You do you, Tribefan. :) I'm really glad you loved TGD more than a lot of us.

You mean one of you actually thought brave was better than Wreck it Ralph!!! :o 

2 hours ago, Infernus said:

Shrek is awesome but its not at all Nemo's equal.

to be fair, id agree with you, but my opinions on both change all the time. Both are hilarious and they switch between which is my favourite That being said, Shrek 1 is likely the favourite amongst the GA

Eddie Murphy as Donkey is probably the greatest casting decision of all time for an animation.

Edited by Jessie

20 minutes ago, Jessie said:

to be fair, id agree with you, but my opinions on both change all the time. Both are hilarious and they switch between which is my favourite That being said, Shrek 1 is likely the favourite amongst the GA

Eddie Murphy as Donkey is probably the greatest casting decision of all time for an animation.

C'mon now, the difference in the level of animation between them is in itself huge enough to end any debate on which is better. 

11 minutes ago, Infernus said:

C'mon now, the difference in the level of animation between them is in itself huge enough to end any debate on which is better. 

That's like saying the Star Wars prequels are better than the originals because the CGI is better. You cant end the debate, they are both too good to simply end it with a 'you're right and im wrong' especially when most people would disagree with you.

23 minutes ago, Jessie said:

That's like saying the Star Wars prequels are better than the originals because the CGI is better. You cant end the debate, they are both too good to simply end it with a 'you're right and im wrong' especially when most people would disagree with you.

There's a huge difference. Firstly Shrek and Nemo were of nearly the same period. And Nemo was an astonishing achievement in animation for its time (even for today in my opinion) while the CGI for the prequels sucked. Also the prequels are much behind the OT in most other aspects while Nemo is better than Shrek in most aspects, and atleast equal in others. And even if, as you believe, some think that shrek was slightly better in some aspects than nemo and equal in others, the difference in animation quality and emotional quality is much too big to not easily cover that.

26 minutes ago, Infernus said:

There's a huge difference. Firstly Shrek and Nemo were of nearly the same period. And Nemo was an astonishing achievement in animation for its time (even for today in my opinion) while the CGI for the prequels sucked. Also the prequels are much behind the OT in most other aspects while Nemo is better than Shrek in most aspects, and atleast equal in others. And even if, as you believe, some think that shrek was slightly better in some aspects than nemo and equal in others, the difference in animation quality and emotional quality is much too big to not easily cover that.

what do you mean 'as I believe' Shrek is undoubtedly the most loved animation of the last 15 years, hence its sequel is probably the biggest ticket seller since TPM. You are trying to argue that my opinion is wrong, its my opinion, both are too good for me to pick out which is better regardless of what you say. You prefer Nemo? cool, that's good for you, its your 'opinion' but there's a reason why Shrek is more popular. The star characters are more fun to be around and the Shrek/Donkey banter is comedy gold.

Nemo is more emotional ill give you that and its animation is better (though its budget was much larger and its was 2 years ahead of shrek) but that doesn't automatically make it a more enjoyable film. Next you're going to argue that Inside Out is better than Shrek because 'emotion and animation quality', fuck that.

Also how can you say the CGI in the prequels sucked? they we the best thing about the prequels

Edited by Jessie

2 hours ago, Jessie said:

what do you mean 'as I believe' Shrek is undoubtedly the most loved animation of the last 15 years, hence its sequel is probably the biggest ticket seller since TPM. You are

trying to argue that my opinion is wrong, its my opinion, both are too good for me to pick out which is better regardless of what you say. You prefer Nemo? cool, that's good for you, its your 'opinion' but there's a reason why Shrek is more popular. The star characters are more fun to be around and the Shrek/Donkey banter is comedy gold.

Nemo is more emotional ill give you that and its animation is better (though its budget was much larger and its was 2 years ahead of shrek) but that doesn't automatically make it a more enjoyable film. Next you're going to argue that Inside Out is better than Shrek because 'emotion and animation quality', fuck that.

Also how can you say the CGI in the prequels sucked? they we the best thing about the prequels

I am just saying that Nemo's animation was on a complete another level compared to anything ever seen before. The Shrek doesn't have this going for it. On all other aspects they are nearly equal and I think everybody would agree. Thus overall Nemo is better.

My 'opinion' is that Nemo is far superior to shrek even without the animation bonus. Nemo has comedy too and its enjoyable and its got real emotions with a much better sountrack too. Anyways, I am not stating my opinion here. I am simply looking at it objectively.

And I don't believe shrek is the most loved animation of the past 15 years. what are you comparing Shrek 2 with? Whatever Shrek 2 did we don't have a nemo sequel, yet, to compare. We can only directly compare Shrek and Nemo, and Nemo sold much more tickets than Shrek. Also Nemo has sold much much more DVDs compared to both Shrek and Shrek 2. Also, for whatever its worth - Nemo has 8.2 score on IMDB and Shrek has 7.9. Also Nemo has 99% RT while Shrek has 88% and Nemo has 90% Metacritic while Shrek has 84% so critic-wise atleast we have a clear winner.  And I myself have seldom met people who would say Shrek is better than Nemo. And even after all this, even if Shrek is indeed more loved than Nemo the difference would be little and thus the first para of this post still holds true.

Also I have, to be honest, not seen any prequel and only said what I've heard and read EVERYwhere which in fact serves my point all the more better since I am not just stating personal opinion for anything but trying to look objectively and state what is nearly unarguable 
(nearly because for every view their are some exceptions). 

Edited by Infernus

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

I am just saying that Nemo's animation was on a complete another level compared to anything ever seen before. The Shrek doesn't have this going for it. On all other aspects they are nearly equal and I think everybody would agree. Thus overall Nemo is better.

My 'opinion' is that Nemo is far superior to shrek even without the animation bonus. Nemo has comedy too and its enjoyable and its got real emotions with a much better sountrack too. Anyways, I am not stating my opinion here. I am simply looking at it objectively.

And I don't believe shrek is the most loved animation of the past 15 years. what are you comparing Shrek 2 with? Whatever Shrek 2 did we don't have a nemo sequel, yet, to compare. We can only directly compare Shrek and Nemo, and Nemo sold much more tickets than Shrek. Also Nemo has sold much much more DVDs compared to both Shrek and Shrek 2. Also, for whatever its worth - Nemo has 8.2 score on IMDB and Shrek has 7.9. Also Nemo has 99% RT while Shrek has 88% and Nemo has 90% Metacritic while Shrek has 84% so critic-wise atleast we have a clear winner.  And I myself have seldom met people who would say Shrek is better than Nemo. And even after all this, even if Shrek is indeed more loved than Nemo the difference would be little and thus the first para of this post still holds true.

Also I have, to be honest, not seen any prequel and only said what I've heard and read EVERYwhere which in fact serves my point all the more better since I am not just stating personal opinion for anything but trying to look objectively and state what is nearly unarguable 
(nearly because for every view their are some exceptions). 

The animation is never mentioned when talking to normal movie goers. You wont hear people walk out the cinema saying "i liked it, but its animation wasn't quite perfect". Its like saying South Park the movie is automatically worse because of its animation.

And yes you are stating your opinion, you can't say 'my opinion' then end your sentence with 'Im not stating my opinion. im looking at it objectively'.

Bravo on bringing up the IMDB scores btw, the most inaccurate way of judging a movies popularity, and critic reviews for that matter. Going by that IMDB theory both films were more loved than Titanic lol, nope. Not to mention IMDB is full of fanboys so its no wonder the Pixar movies rank so high on there, Wall E has a higher rating than both films, are you seriously suggesting that was more beloved than Shrek and Nemo? Most of Pixars films have a higher RT rating than Shrek because Pixar follow a formula that critics love, its like saying people are wrong for preferring Shrek to the likes of Ratatouille, Wall E, Toy Story 1-3 and Inside out because they have 10% more on a website of 200 critics opinions.   You say you rarely meet anyone who prefers Shrek but going by your way of posting and critiquing movies, ill take the assumption that you and your friends are kind of nerdy (I don't mean offence by that) so that probably explains why you all share that unpopular opinion. The Disney/Pixar brand have always been great DVD sellers, thats more to do with the company behind the films rather than the films themselves (obviously the individual quality of the films help). Nemo earned more at the box office because it was part of an established brand, Pixar was on fire back then hence that massive OW, it had a lot on its side. Shrek still had a better multiplier.

As for the prequels, well obviously they have their problems, but the CGI was the one thing they did right. Sure there may have been a little too much CGI but to assume its bad because a few of your friends said so is ridiculous, the effects were great for their time, you've just spent too much timing listening to haters on internet sites and I find it laughable how you use a film you've not seen as an example to your point.

All of this is irrelevant seeing as I have them both tied as my favourites, all I ever said was Shrek seems to be the most loved amongst the GA and going by that great multiplier, the enormous sequel which is probably the biggest ticket seller this millennium and the general WOM ive heard all through school/ college and now work, ive come to the conclusion you never meet anyone who doesn't love Shrek, in the real world that is.

Edited by Jessie

7 minutes ago, Jessie said:

The animation is never mentioned when talking to normal movie goers. You wont hear people walk out the cinema saying "i liked it, but its animation wasn't quite perfect". Its like saying South Park the movie is automatically worse because of its animation.

And yes you are stating your opinion, you can't say 'my opinion' then end your sentence with 'Im not stating my opinion. im looking at it objectively'.

Bravo on bringing up the IMDB scores btw, the most inaccurate way of judging a movies popularity, and critic reviews for that matter. Going by that IMDB theory both films were more loved than Titanic lol, nope. Not to mention IMDB is full of fanboys so its no wonder the Pixar movies rank so high on there, Wall E has a higher rating than both films, are you seriously suggesting that was more beloved than Shrek and Nemo? Most of Pixars films have a higher RT rating than Shrek because Pixar follow a formula that critics love, its like saying people are wrong for preferring Shrek to the likes of Ratatouille, Wall E, Toy Story 1-3 and Inside out because they have 10% more on a website of 200 critics opinions.   You say you rarely meet anyone who prefers Shrek but going by your way of posting and critiquing movies, ill take the assumption that you and your friends are kind of nerdy (I don't mean offence by that) so that probably explains why you all share that unpopular opinion. The Disney/Pixar brand have always been great DVD sellers, thats more to do with the company behind the films rather than the films themselves (obviously the individual quality of the films help). Nemo earned more at the box office because it was part of an established brand, Pixar was on fire back then hence that massive OW, it had a lot on its side. Shrek still had a better multiplier.

As for the prequels, well obviously they have their problems, but the CGI was the one thing they did right. Sure there may have been a little too much CGI but to assume its bad because a few of your friends said so is ridiculous, the effects were great for their time, you've just spent too much timing listening to haters on internet sites and I find it laughable how you use a film you've not seen as an example to your point.

All of this is irrelevant seeing as I have them both tied as my favourites, all I ever said was Shrek seems to be the most loved amongst the GA and going by that great multiplier, the enormous sequel which is probably the biggest ticket seller this millennium and the general WOM ive heard all through school/ college and now work, ive come to the conclusion you never meet anyone who doesn't love Shrek, in the real world that is.

Er.. I was saying what my actual opinion is and how I am not using that opinion in my arguments in that para. If I was using my actual opinion then, as I said, I wouldn't even be getting to animation thing. For me Nemo is already much better than Shrek in nearly every aspect.

Also, I didn't use the prequels as an example. You  brought it up. So I just wrote what I was aware of and what I have mostly heard. And only from sites like these and reviews. None of my friends has watched the prequel trilogy. Man, you would use anything to try to subdue others during arguments, every single time. You never change, do you?

On 12/15/2015, 11:48:18, Spaghetti-3PO said:

At the same time, I feel like we're both solidified in our opinions that I don't think either of us are budging. Feels like Brave/Wreck-It Ralph all over again. [emoji14]

You do you, Tribefan. [emoji4] I'm really glad you loved TGD more than a lot of us.

You mean one of you actually thought brave was better than Wreck it Ralph!!! [emoji33] 

Yep, I could go into detail if you'd like but that's not for this thread

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Also, I didn't use the prequels as an example. You  brought it up. So I just wrote what I was aware of and what I have mostly heard. And only from sites like these and reviews. None of my friends has watched the prequel trilogy. Man, you would use anything to try to subdue others during arguments, every single time. You never change, do you?

you said the CGI in the prequels sucked, trying to debunk my argument even though you haven't actually seen them lol. And Im out of order for quoting you on that? lmao.  Look, I don't give a shit about the difference in quality between the 2 films, both are my favourite animations of the last 2 decades, one just seems more popular that's all.

34 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Also, I know IMDB is not at all a good way of judging movies and I knew exactly that you would reply in such a way, that was why  I wrote for 'whatever its worth'. I was just stating the available stat.

If you know its not a good way of judging movies, and anticipated my reply, then why even bring up IMDB scores in the first place? You cant bring it up then when I present my counter argument, just turn it around like "well I didn't really mean it anyways", it seemed like you were just testing my intelligence and it back fired

Both films are great

8 minutes ago, Jessie said:

you said the CGI in the prequels sucked, trying to debunk my argument even though you haven't actually seen them lol. And Im out of order for quoting you on that? lmao.  Look, I don't give a shit about the difference in quality between the 2 films, both are my favourite animations of the last 2 decades, one just seems more popular that's all.

If you know its not a good way of judging movies, and anticipated my reply, then why even bring up IMDB scores in the first place? You cant bring it up then when I present my counter argument, just turn it around like "well I didn't really mean it anyways", it seemed like you were just testing my intelligence and it back fired

Both films are great

Ok lets just agree at this and end this pointless debate. 

Edited by Infernus