abra

Wednesday Actuals: JW 19.9 [Not the PIXAR thread]

Mu understanding is that one's reaction to the song Let It Go makes for a fairly accurate barometer of whether you'll like Frozen. In which case: what the hell is the fuss about?

LOL.. You maybe right. I always loved movies with strong musical theme but I didn't like 'Let it go' at all when I heard it so I had no reason to see Frozen in theatre. I watched it on Blu-Ray and quite enjoyed it but still thought it's overrated as hell. Musically Frozen got nothing on the Lion King.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 2

100% doesn't mean an A+ or glowing reviews like a reasonable person who just doesn't know about RT may assume. If all the reviewers gave a film a B- it would still have a 100% rating. 100% means all the reviews are positive and sometimes that is a blurry line.

Damn all these years I've never understood that :P

• Like 1

100% doesn't mean an A+ or glowing reviews like a reasonable person who just doesn't know about RT may assume. If all the reviewers gave a film a B- it would still have a 100% rating. 100% means all the reviews are positive and sometimes that is a blurry line.

It does, in this case. Only Boyhood has a better average rating right now of recent films

Edited by tribefan695

Wait a second, they're making a TS4? What was the point of that ending? Money talks and bullshit walks I guess.

Probably true, but the only way they couldn't find a way to get another sequel out is if the toys actually died. You could easily see that ending as simply the "end of an era".

And seeing how boring Boyhood turned out to be for me, average ratings don't mean much either.

Well, you shouldn't expect any critics to completely align with your own tastes. That you disliked Boyhood doesn't change the fact that most critics adored it (and Inside Out)

• Like 1

I find films that finish in the 97%+ rarely end up being my type of movie, or are just overrated. Mad Max, Gravity, Babafuckingdook lol

The best films I find usually land somewhere between 84 - 92% lol. Random.

Well, you shouldn't expect any critics to completely align with your own tastes. That you disliked Boyhood doesn't change the fact that most critics adored it (and Inside Out)

Critics don't know humour as well as the general public know humour. Ever spoke to a critic? they are pretentious and usually completely humourless, I wont be letting this guy tell me what's funny and what's not.

Probably true, but the only way they couldn't find a way to get another sequel out is if the toys actually died. You could easily see that ending as simply the "end of an era".

True. That's Hollywood for you. If Cameron didn't kill off Jack I bet they'd make a sequel to Titanic somehow.

Critics don't know humour as well as the general public know humour. Ever spoke to a critic? they are pretentious and usually completely humourless, I wont be letting this guy tell me what's funny and what's not.

Yeah! You tell that strawman critic who's boss!

• Like 5

most animated films are overrated in my opinion. Not to say I don't like some of them but I don't cry ever five seconds like many people who watch many of these movies claim. 

As an animation fan, I do find the "I CRIED!!!" reactions to be rather overblown. Not every emotional moment warrants an overdramatic response, and it feels like way overplaying your hand when you're trying to recommend the film to skeptical listeners.