Asyulus

CIVIL WAR OS | $744M OS | $1.15B WW

Deadline

China is still Steve Rogers’ best play with $177.9M to date (although this weekend saw the arrival of The Angry Birds Movie grab the top perch). It’s also now the No. 2 biggest superhero movie ever in the Middle Kingdom behind Avengers: Age Of Ultron. The next best cumes are Korea ($62.1M), the UK ($50.1M), Mexico ($40.7M) and Brazil ($37.4M).

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

The drops in OS and domestic weekends are going from mediocre to bad. IM3 was at $40.2M and $35.8M at same point, respectively.

Yeah. Last weekend it was trailing IM3 by ~20m. Now it's 30m. Dropped 62-63% this weekend as opposed to 55-56% drop of IM3. Apocalypse certainly caused the big drop. The 30m gap is not gonna reduce but let's see how much can it restrict the gap. IMO 40m gap in the final total is a given.

IM3 was 806m OS. 40m less is 766m. That's the most CW should do.

In fact, as right now CW is at 706m with a 30.7m weekend, adding 60m more for 766m is itself optimistic.

760m is more realistic. Add to it 410m dom, we get 1.170b ww.

Great numbers all around no matter what. But legs have been surprisingly meh. I was not expecting great legs due to it's huge ow and avengers-like marketing/demand, but it did die down faster than expected. Still, 1.170b is ~300m clear of BVS (not hinting at Marvel vs DC, but just comparing another similar SH vs SH tentpole that released in a similar period)

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Deadline

China is still Steve Rogers’ best play with $177.9M to date (although this weekend saw the arrival of The Angry Birds Movie grab the top perch). It’s also now the No. 2 biggest superhero movie ever in the Middle Kingdom behind Avengers: Age Of Ultron. The next best cumes are Korea ($62.1M), the UK ($50.1M), Mexico ($40.7M) and Brazil ($37.4M).

This Chinese number is fantastic :D

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

This Chinese number is fantastic :D

It is actually considered a disappointment to many. Look at the China Box Office Forum of predictions, it is no doubt doing well... but I would say it is below expectations for many. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

It is actually considered a disappointment to many. Look at the China Box Office Forum of predictions, it is no doubt doing well... but I would say it is below expectations for many. 

Well, it's their opinion but it's not like I care. Some people here are never satisfied and made grumpiness their way of life,some  others always have unrealistic expectations..

I like this number and that's all that matters to me :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

A disappointment? Hardly.

A pirated HD copy of the movie was leaked in its first week of release in China. Considering how huge piracy is in China this number is amazing.

People need to put their expectations on check.

Edited by MarvelandDC

18 hours ago, Agafin said:

@a2knet I don't think it will quite make it to $766m, how do you have it reaching there? Around $745 million seems likelier to me.

Yeah you are right it won't make 766m.

Had a 30.7m weekend and is 60m away from 766m.

I think it will add 40-50m to it's 706m cume for 745-755m OS. (405-415m Dom / 1.150-1.170 WW)

3 hours ago, MarvelandDC said:

A disappointment? Hardly.

A pirated HD copy of the movie was leaked in its first week of release in China. Considering how huge piracy is in China this number is amazing.

People need to put their expectations on check.

I honestly think Disney/Marvel expected much higher. 
The effects of Piracy is seriously overrated in China, Expendables 3 and Revenant did extremely well despite piracy.. and don't forget China use to have Hollywood movies release much later, instead of the current day-and-date release pattern. 
Piracy is definitely a factor, but there are many other factors for big drops or the inability to meet expectations.. eg; Avengers 2 left a bad taste in many Chinese audiences's mouth, or Chinese subtitles of Captain America Civil War in chinese theaters is just..absurd.

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

I honestly think Disney/Marvel expected much higher. 
The effects of Piracy is seriously overrated in China, Expendables 3 and Revenant did extremely well despite piracy.. and don't forget China use to have Hollywood movies release much later, instead of the current day-and-date release pattern. 
Piracy is definitely a factor, but there are many other factors for big drops or the inability to meet expectations.. eg; Avengers 2 left a bad taste in many Chinese audiences's mouth, or Chinese subtitles of Captain America Civil War in chinese theaters is just..absurd.

We can't be sure of it. This is doing very well for a Captain America movie.

Cap 3 was released in China on May 6th. Same day as the US release.

If Avengers 2 was bad it wouldn't have made $240M in China. Also Cap 3 was rated a 8.1 out of 10 in China.

Don't know about the subtitles.

6 minutes ago, MarvelandDC said:

We can't be sure of it. This is doing very well for a Captain America movie.

Amazing how the entire conversation around this movie has suddenly become "It is a Captain America Movie" once it was clear it wasn't hitting the heights of Avengers or even AOU.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Amazing how the entire conversation around this movie has suddenly become "It is a Captain America Movie" once it was clear it wasn't hitting the heights of Avengers or even AOU.

Nope, I said that since the beginning and I'm not alone.

May 08: 494   (+293.6)

May 15: 647   (+153)

May 22: 706.9 (+59.9)

May 29: 730.7 (+23.8)

Proabbly:

Jun 05: 742 (+11)

Jun 12: 748 (+6)

Jun 19: 751 (+3)

Final about 753-756m

Plus 400-405 domestic, might pass minions worldwide, might not. 

• Like 2

Captain America: Civil War took in an estimated $12.5 million this weekend, continuing its massively total that has propelled it to the highest-grossing worldwide gross of the year. The film has now earned $730.7 million overseas and $1.107 billion globally. Notable performances to date include $186.4 million in China, $62.7 million in Korea, $51.9 million in the United Kingdom, $41.2 million in Mexico, $39.1 million in Brazil, $27.0 million in Japan, $24.4 million in Australia, $22.3 million in France, and $20.9 million in Germany.

Source: BoxOffice.com

760M OS and 405M DOM 

1165M WW