kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

3 hours ago, Alli said:

I simply don't believe it. If the average blockbuster really cost 150M and then you add 100-150M marketing, no movie would recoup its budget, much less make a profit.

Do you really believe Blade Runner 2049 had a $150–185 million production budget? No way, Jose!

Argument by personal disbelief. That is always convincing.

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's a bit weird that WB is timing the reviews to drop the same time as UK previews considering it's already out in many countries hours beforehand.

I imagine UK has English reviews and with better reach to a market like the US ?

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

RT watch begins in 55 minutes...

Hopefully the critics dont go full Apeshit against this innocent little movie...

Spoiler

Im unfunny, i know that. Im going into a corner for shaming purposes now.

Dwayne Johnson plays Davis Okoye... The opening act of the film, in which we meet Davis and his band of beta sidekicks, who gush about the “kale bread” they made last night while he pacifies the beasts, is an incredibly unpleasant ten or so minutes to get through, and I wondered if I had accidentally wandered into a narrative adaptation of a Mike Cernovich book, all the way up to the point where a blushing blonde, impressed with Davis’s handling of the gorillas, asks if she can discuss his “submission techniques” over drinks sometime.

As he ages, Dwayne Johnson is bound to get more interesting, as that preposterous body starts to decay a bit. He was fascinating because of his physical perfection, and he'll be more fascinating when it starts to wane. When fissures of self-doubt start to crack The Rock, he'll be doing his best work.

He's not at that stage yet, but the filmmakers seem to see that fade coming. Why else are there so many lines in the script about how hot Davis is, how much time he spends in the gym, and how the ladies can't resist him?

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Positive:

THR

Guardian (3/5)

Telegraph

Empire (3/5)

Negative:

Variety

EW (“disaster”)

The EW review was bad (C-) ... hilarious thing is that the reviewer was talking up all his recent bad choices/movies ... including Jumanji and talking about how his goodwill might run out if continues.  It's like WHAT ... a movie that only opened to like 40 million & ended up making 400+ in the US and nearly a billion worldwide  might help hurt his goodwill. LOL

Either way, can't say the movie excites me very much though. 

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

My problem with Skyscraper is that I already saw this film when it was called "Die Hard".

That did not hurt "Speed" at the box office.

It's not about what the film is about; it's about execution.

Nothing is original anyway.

A charismatic, likeable box office star playing a devoted family man (who also happens to be physically broken) doing everything in his power to save his wife and kids is, at least on paper, crowd-pleasing catnip for summer audiences.

If Skyscraper gets solid reviews, watch as it kills it at the box offfice.