baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Continuing my Indy/Vacation parallels from earlier in the thread (I think the first is the best, the second is unfairly maligned, and the third is just a smidge overrated and doesn't deserve to be placed on as high of a pedestal over the second as it sometimes is), Indy 4 is almost like the Vegas Vacation of the series to me. I don't understand why anybody would rank it above TOD; to me it makes as much sense as ranking Vegas Vacation above European Vacation (which is the TOD equivalent as far as how much shit it gets from people).

While I agree about TOD, European Vacation is uncomfortable to watch. It takes the first movie, revs up the mean-spiritedness by a mile, along with the nudity. There's some legitimately funny scenes, especially in the London portion, but overall the experience of seeing it leaves me in a sour mood everytime. 

Vegas Vacation is not as ribald as European, but at least it's goofy, stupid, sweet fun the entire way through. And it has a super hot Audrey so that helps.

Edited by goldenstate5

I love LAST CRUSADE, but I agree with TServo. The return to the Nazis and a Christian relic feels a bit like warmed-over RAIDERS with a lighter touch. Now, it's really damn good warmed-over RAIDERS, but still...

I think after all the complaints they got for Temple of Doom being so dark, they just returned to the roots and made it even lighter and more humor.

Frankly I am fine with it. It's not a Indiana Jones movie with him putting an ass whooping on the Nazis.

• Like 1

I think it had lost me completely well before he appeared, by then it was too late. Its by far the worst movie in the top 20 all time (that ive seen, and yes, ive seen Revenge of the Fallen..)

It is really bad, but it isn't close to as bad as Revenge of the Fallen.

As opposed to the clusterfuck that is Crystal Skull, Last Crusade was the perfect ending and it should have been left alone.

Now this, I absolutely agree with. Perfect close to the classic Ford Indy trilogy, literally riding off into the sunset.

Whatever the new Indy turns out to be, I hope they don't try to act like it's on the same plane as the original trilogy, because THAT would be blasphemy. All it has to be is a fun movie that understands it can never possibly measure up to the 80s films, and that Pratt or whoever can never measure up to Harrison Ford, and chooses to just do its own thing.

Saturday will be shit due to all the parties and BBQ's but Thursday, Friday, and Sunday should be good numbers.

Probably, although with its patriotic theme it should easily have the best drop on Saturday of all movies.

While I have no opinion on Channing Tatum (seriously, I don't even think I've ever seen a movie with him in it), I know some people around here would consider it "failing upward."

...I just looked it up, the only movies I've seen with Tatum in them are War of the Worlds (uncredited bit part before he was famous), This is the End (cameo as himself) and The Lego Movie (voice of Superman). That's it. So I have no opinion on him either way.

Edited by TServo2049

It is really bad, but it isn't close to as bad as Revenge of the Fallen.

ROTF was deliberately bad because Bay knew who was going to see it, TPM was accidentally terrible due to incompetence from Lucas and to many sycophants too frightened to tell him how terrible it was. I therefore respect ROTF more.

Channing Tatum is having his Ups and Downs Jupiter Ascending was a flop, Side Effects did ok, White House Down flopped, GI-Joe 1&2 did well, 22/21 Jump Street/Lego Movie/The Vow are the big ones that come to mind.

ROTF was deliberately bad because Bay knew who was going to see it, TPM was accidentally terrible due to incompetence from Lucas and to many sycophants too frightened to tell him how terrible it was. I therefore respect ROTF more.

Ermmmm... Yo Me gusta The Phantom Menace