CJohn

Terminator: Genisys (2015)

Terminator Genisys  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

Thor: The Dark World is the pure definition of a studio product. Even he said he didn't had a say in the final cut. I am not surprised. He is crap. Marvel used him to film some scenes and after that some executives put them together.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Taylor did a ton of great work on TV, and I doubt either Marvel or Paramount gave him anywhere near enough freedom to do something interesting with his two movies. He should either go back to Game of Thrones and stuff or find a good script that he can film without studio interference. 

• Like 7

Taylor did a ton of great work on TV, and I doubt either Marvel or Paramount gave him anywhere near enough freedom to do something interesting with his two movies. He should either go back to Game of Thrones and stuff or find a good script that he can film without studio interference. 

I don't doubt he has talent.  But Thor was awful and Genisys really lacked cohesion imo.

• Like 1

I don't doubt he has talent.  But Thor was awful and Genisys really lacked cohesion imo.

I never understood why people praise him so much because he directed one episode of GoT that happened to have a big explosion and lots of action. That is the episode that gave him Thor 2 and T5. He failed in both of them.

• Like 1

I never understood why people praise him so much because he directed one episode of GoT that happened to have a big explosion and lots of action. That is the episode that gave him Thor 2 and T5. He failed in both of them.

That wasn't even Alan Taylor, that was Neil Marshall. Taylor directed the episode Ned gets his head chopped off, one of the best in the series. Most of Taylor's best work was on the Sopranos, and he also directed "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes", the first episode of Mad Men that stands as one of the greatest pilots in TV history. Dude definitely has earned his keep on TV, man.

• Like 8

Some of the stuff I did enjoy:

John Connor says the lines that Reese first said in the police station about the Terminator.  I can't be reasoned with, I can't be bargained with and so on.  It was a nice homage and tip of the cap to the original and it fit really well in the film.

I also like Arnold telling one of the cops to "get out" another nice nod.

JK Simmons character was very interesting as Reese saved his life from the T-1000 in 1984.  He's the only one who really believed and knew what was going on.  His character was really well done.

The first 20 minutes of the film was nicely done.

Some of the final battle was cool and well directed, some of it wasn't.

Some of the humour was well timed.

The Bad Boys theme seemed kind of silly but it worked for some reason.

• Like 3

Some of the stuff I did enjoy:

John Connor says the lines that Reese first said in the police station about the Terminator.  I can't be reasoned with, I can't be bargained with and so on.  It was a nice homage and tip of the cap to the original and it fit really well in the film.

I also like Arnold telling one of the cops to "get out" another nice nod.

JK Simmons character was very interesting as Reese saved his life from the T-1000 in 1984.  He's the only one who really believed and knew what was going on.  His character was really well done.

The first 20 minutes of the film was nicely done.

Some of the final battle was cool and well directed, some of it wasn't.

Some of the humour was well timed.

The Bad Boys theme seemed kind of silly but it worked for some reason.

You pretty much liked all the stuff I did.  No real shock there.  But I do get your "complaints" about the film too.  I agree with most of them as well which is why I don't have it graded much higher than you did

• Like 2

Yep, originally I was thinking of giving it a B or a 7/10 and maybe 6 is a bit low.  Probably more like a 6.5.

Yeah, I am thinking around there too.  I think the good crowd helped out some, but yeah I can't go over a 7 regardless.

• Like 1

For me, I liked the movie and it was enjoyable in the moment.  The main story flowed OK and was fine to follow.  However,  as you're watching the movie little contradictions about the time travel still pop into your mind but I was able to stay with the movie.

I think there are moments in films like this where your suspension of disbelief waivers.  Sometimes you stick with the movie whereas other times the movie falls apart.  From that point you pick apart every minor fault and the film just fails. 

The beginning was basically an exact prequel to T1.  Pretty much exactly what would have happened if Cameron had the budget to film it in 1984.  Although it would have obviously be filmed by Cameron rather then Taylor.  The arrival back in 1984 and all the little details matching the arrival in T1 was very well done. However,  the moment when the original T-800 confronts the punks I started to waiver slightly.  I hadn't actually seen the punks in any of the marketing and they just didn't look right.  Then the old T-800 comes out of the shadows and says, "we've been waiting for you", and I was thinking shits about to get real.  But then I started to waiver again.  The fight could have been better and then I started to wonder if they've been waiting for 15 years why is Sarah Connor only now rushing in to position to take out the T-800 so they can harvest it's control chip?

Similar questions still popped into my head but by this point I just decided this is the new Terminator movie we got so I'm just going to stick with it.

• Like 1

DPFAR: More I think about it, the more I despise it. The thought of T1-Salvation ((Despite T3 and Salvation)) timeline being gone is depressing as fuck. Especially considering how T2's John Connor ((Seeing how he's from the T1-Salvation timeline)) is the one corrupted by Skynet.

To use a comparison this movie is what "A Good Day To Die Hard" was to the Die Hard series. Or even worse, what Hayden Christensens acting was to Star Wars. 

T2 is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. I knew this would never get close but I thought it would at least be fun. Well it wasn't and I left the theater massively let down along with being a little angry. Pretty much the opposite of how I felt leaving Jurassic World.

This should have been called POPs not Terminator. And worse it neutered everything that made Terminator frightening including turning Skynet into a freaking phone app. (along with ripping Resident Evil off as if that was a good thing)

It wasn't so bad it was good either. It was just bad in every single imaginable way. Right from the opening shots with the nuclear strikes, the CGI wasn't believable. San Andreas looked way more real in it's destruction.

Then we go into the future and everything somehow looks even worse. I don't understand how it's possible that effects from 24 years ago look more realistic than anything in this movie. And there is so much bad CGI in this.

But not only did they fuck Skynet up, they also turned the T-1000 into a way less menacing threat and let Sarah take out the original Terminator with a gun in the first meeting.

I am one of those who really likes T3 despite it's flaws. Like Cinemasins nailed it..but I still enjoy it. But just wow, this was so so much worse. At least that felt like a Terminator movie because I don't know what the hell this was.

Bland miscast characters with Jai Courtney being awful again. I'm sure he's a nice guy but why does he keep getting big roles? Jason Clarke hams it up and of course says the stupid line that all cliche villains do, with "Join me and we'll be a family" after revealing himself. 

Like you thought talk to the hand and the star glasses were bad in T3? Oh here, Arnold makes a dick joke. There is also a Bad Boys montage later on where he has been taken into police custody.

Seriously what were they thinking?! The only things saving this from Jupiter Ascending levels of bad were Arnold, JK Simmons and the fact that Emilia Clark sort of looks like Sarah Conner (along with being easy on the eyes). Oh and the classic theme shows up just for a few minutes. To everyone going to see this for Arnold, he is more of a background character this time around and just plays robot dad. Once again is this really the same Terminator?

I already forgot Salvation exists but anyone who says this was worse then T3 needs to go back and revisit it. I did last night and it's like The Godfather compared to this. I wish I could go back in time to convince myself not to see this no matter how much I was looking forward to it. I would have saved $15 on IMAX 3D. And I'm going to now watch Terminator and T2 back to back and try my hardest to forgot that this exists.

D- (and that is still being nice to it). Easily the worst big release of the summer by a wide margin.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 6

I enjoyed this movie. I was entertained while I was in it, and I've thought about it a decent amount since last night, and I still like it, so that's a criteria for a pretty good rating. It was much more along the lines of T3 in that it was a dumb, entertaining action romp that occasionally tried to add interesting bits to the mythology but really knew what it was. Arnie was great fun. Jason Clarke was excellent and I found the Connor stuff very, very cool. Emilia Clarke struggled with some dramatic bits but was charismatic and supremely watchable (which is how I view her on GOT, btw). Even Jai Courtney wasn't half bad- a bit bland, but he was ok enough. Someone else could have done more with it, but he wasn't outwardly bad or anything (oh hi ATJ in Godzilla). The action was well done minus the two Arnolds fight scene. It was a bit anticlimatic but eh. I'm not much for ratings these days because they're liable to change but if I had to I'd give this a 7.25 or so out of ten. For comparison, JW would be a 6.25 and AOU would get a 5.5 so I liked it better than those two. 

• Like 3

This franchise has hit rock-bottom, and hopefully it won't survive the crash.

The bad: A script that makes the predecessors feel proud about their scripts. It is that bad. Cringeworthy humor, just bafflingly inappropriate and ridiculous at times. Super boring CGI action overload, the action sequences are all unearned. Production values of an expensive Syfy film. The cliche protagonist pretty, muscular man that has no charisma whatsoever. The score mix of noises and sound editing might make you ears bleed.

The good: There is one unexpectedly fairly emotional moment, when Terminator sacrifices himself (again!), easily the high point of the film (just to bring him back 2 minutes later), Schwarzenegger really sells the scene. Clarke could have been worse, especially with the horrible material she was given. And the director is really good with jump scares.

"I won't stop until Skynet rules the world!" actual line in the movie.

verdict: KILL IT WITH FIRE.

T2 90/100

T3 70/100

T4 50/100

T1 40/100

T5 25/100

• Like 1

No offense, but how do you have the  original Terminator, one of the most terrifying and influential sci-fi movies ever made, ten points below Terminator Salvation, the film equivalent of eating a sandwich made out of shit and nails? TG is 100000x times better than Salvation.

• Like 10

No offense, but how do you have the  original Terminator, one of the most terrifying and influential sci-fi movies ever made, ten points below Terminator Salvation, the film equivalent of eating a sandwich made out of shit and nails? TG is 100000x times better than Salvation.

TS would be a decent film if the climax wasn't such a turn-off, TG is a textbook of how to make a bad film.

About T1, I really don't care how influential it was, I'll never like a film because of something like that, especially if its primary goal is to entertain, to make us feel something. T1 does nothing for me.

T2 on other hand holds up incredibly fucking well.

Edited by Goffe

TS would be a decent film if the climax wasn't such a turn-off, TG is a textbook of how to make a bad film.

About T1, I really don't care how influential it was, I'll never like a film because of something like that, especially if its primary goal is to entertain, to make us feel something. T1 does nothing for me.

T2 on other hand holds up incredibly fucking well.

Sure, T1's special effects are outdated as shit, but the film is a fucking master-class in the art of world building and does such an incredible job establishing mood. It's also frightening with genuine great horror movie moments, stupendous action, a believable romance, and one of the most iconic performances of all time in Arnold. TS is just a dumb McG action movie. Just because something looks old doesn't mean its soul isn't something wonderful.

• Like 9