CJohn

Terminator: Genisys (2015)

Terminator Genisys  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

I can't comprehend putting T1 below T3 or TS.

The special effects in T1 only get obviously out dated with the stop motion at the end.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 6

Sure, T1's special effects are outdated as shit,  but the film is a fucking master-class in the art of world building and does such an incredible job establishing mood. It's also frightening with genuine great horror movie moments, stupendous action, a believable romance, and one of the most iconic performances of all time in Arnold. TS is just a dumb McG action movie. Just because something looks old doesn't mean its soul isn't something wonderful.

I wasn't talking outdated in terms of special effects though, the outdated part meant that despite serving as a big influence to numerous films, T2 still manages to feel fresh, thrilling and engaging. Something that T1 clearly failed to accomplish. 

great horror moments?  I don't remember any.
stupendous action? no action scene stuck with me, most of the scenes I remember about the movie are character driven, so yeah, the action wasn't good.
believable romance? I remember pushing the fast forward button a lot in the sex scene.
Most iconic performances of all time in Arnold? I thought he was horrible, I actually mentioned that in my review in its RTM thread, I pretty much hate Schwarzenegger as an actor, saved for a very few rare exceptions.

I just don't see what you guys see in the film, maybe someday I will see the light, until that day, T1 is the second worst T film.
Edited by Goffe

I'm not completely sure how to feel, there were some clever moments met with some really dumb moments. There were some cool action sequences and really cliche ones. Emilia Clarke was solid as Sarah Conner, but whats his face that played Kyle Reece was as whiny as Hayden Christensen and wooden as ATJ in Godzilla.

JK Simmons had a nice character but I felt like he was really underused. Arnold does a good job back in the role and has some funny moments. The concept of John Connor being a Terminator is also a nice touch but the execution of it all was just a bit off.

I never felt the stakes, mostly because Reece was so flat it was as if Clarke was acting to a Wall. Its all fairly conventional and forgettable in the end.

There are moments of inspiration, fun throwbacks, but it's all meddled down by the executives and fails at what it strives to be.

C+

• Like 1

That makes that chase at the end way creepier! The movement it has with that limp is perfectly captured.

I wouldn't change any of it.

I love it.  I'm just saying it's quite noticeable compared with a CGI alternative today.

I believed they filmed Arnie limping like that so that they could get the model limping just right.

Edited by DeeCee

I wasn't talking outdated in terms of special effects though, the outdated part meant that despite serving as a big influence to numerous films, T2 still manages to feel fresh, thrilling and engaging. Something that T1 clearly failed to accomplish. 

great horror moments?  I don't remember any.
stupendous action? no action scene stuck with me, most of the scenes I remember about the movie are character driven, so yeah, the action wasn't good.
believable romance? I remember pushing the fast forward button a lot in the sex scene.
Most iconic performances of all time in Arnold? I thought he was horrible, I actually mentioned that in my review in its RTM thread, I pretty much hate Schwarzenegger as an actor, saved for a very few exceptions.

I just don't see what you guys see in the film, maybe someday I will see the light, until that day, T1 is the second worst T film.

Woah I agree with you on the absolute mess Genisys is but go back and watch Terminator. There is plenty of very real horror moments inspired by slashers like Halloween. The camera angles, mood, score is pulled right from Carpenter. So was his vanishment after the car crash. The action during the police building ambush was also intense and realistic. When the cops can't protect you, who can? That was the horror of it. 

The best part of Sarah and Kyles romance was when he mentioned he was a virgin. There was actually great acting and chemistry when they were under the underpass in hiding. The only thing this guy had to hold onto was was her picture. And it's just awesome how the iconic theme built into piano while they have sex. 

Yes the effects are outdated in a few areas like when Arnold removes his eye but that prosthetic mask actually makes him more frightening especially after his eyebrows were burnt off. Definitely not a kid friendly movie and I watch a ton of horror. 

The stop motion exoskeleton could be updated but a lot of people like it the way it is. Since it's not a real thing the fact that it moves so unnaturally makes it more terrifying for a lot.

And the fact that this unstoppable machine was killed with a sniper rifle shot in Genisys pisses me off. It was crushed into itself and it still attempted to kill Sarah in the original. Here it just fell down and died.

The only other really noticeable bad effects in the original are the flying ships in the future and the small skulls on some shots in those scenes. But the funny thing is the ships don't look much better in Genisys all these years later. And the actual war seemed like a hopeless and dark place in the original. The world building was incredible for the budget it had.

It wasn't really Schwarzeneggers movie, it was Linda Hamiltons. Her performance to this day is still awesome. And it's even more remarkable the 360 that she does to turn into who she becomes in T2. That's amazing acting.

I watched the original again last night after this travesty, I strongly recommend revisiting it.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 5

Better than I thought it would be, sort of, like a lot of it was really campy, but in a kind of good way mostly, it was very self aware, I actually really liked Jai Courtney in it, he has gone up a lot on my like list, I did find the first half to be more enjoyable than the second though, where it kind of goes crazy and becomes something of a mess, if you a super ultra fan of the first Terminator films,( I do love T2, and really like the first, but I've only seen them like once) I could see why you would dislike it, I mean afterall it is not the best made film in the world, but they sure did go out of their way to make it plot twisty centric, I found most of the humor worked, really liked Arnie. Emila was well-okay I guess, can't fill Linda Hamilton's shoes. first half was like an A-/B+ and second half like a B- so I guess a strong B overall for me. 

Cameron is a huge John Carpenter fan.

He was also obsessed with Road Warrior at the time he made the first Terminator.

THR: Your rhythm is so fast. Where does that come from?

JC: I don't know where that really comes from, watching films that I really like. I wouldn't say studying them in the sense of putting them on the VCR and going backwards and forwards, although I did do that with "Road Warrior." That picture was one of the few pictures -I have this curious reaction sometimes when I see a film -it's almost like a Jungian experience where I'm seeing a film that I've already seen in my mind. That's happened to me twice. The first one was 'Star Wars' and the second one was "Road Warrior." When I saw "Star Wars" it wasn't like a universe unfolding to me that I'd never seen before, but it was like something I'd seen before. I used to listen to fast electronic music and see dogfights in space, that sort of stuff. I wanted to do it. I always felt if I got to be a filmmaker I would do that sort of thing. But at the time "Star Wars" came out I had no plans to work in film. This whole thing with the dentists came afterwards. In fact, it was as a result of the success of "Star Wars" that they wanted to do science fiction.

• Like 2

This franchise has hit rock-bottom, and hopefully it won't survive the crash.

The bad: A script that makes the predecessors feel proud about their scripts. It is that bad. Cringeworthy humor, just bafflingly inappropriate and ridiculous at times. Super boring CGI action overload, the action sequences are all unearned. Production values of an expensive Syfy film. The cliche protagonist pretty, muscular man that has no charisma whatsoever. The score mix of noises and sound editing might make you ears bleed.

The good: There is one unexpectedly fairly emotional moment, when Terminator sacrifices himself (again!), easily the high point of the film (just to bring him back 2 minutes later), Schwarzenegger really sells the scene. Clarke could have been worse, especially with the horrible material she was given. And the director is really good with jump scares.

"I won't stop until Skynet rules the world!" actual line in the movie.

verdict: KILL IT WITH FIRE.

T2 90/100

T3 70/100

T4 50/100

T1 40/100

T5 25/100

11037628_471527803002809_921556764272534

• Like 2

Movie is thoroughly crap.  My review:

A more serious review:

This movie is a complete mess.  I literally can't explain the plot because its all over the place and makes up its own time travel rules + a ton of alternate reality/timeline shit as it goes along, its indecipherable.  The dialogue is real bad(especially between Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor), the performances(especially Jai Courtney) are wooden.  The movie is void of humanity and has almost no tension because the performances are wooden, the dialogue sucks, and you don't really know what the hell is going on.  The action is mostly standard action movie action whenever its not just comically cartoony CGI bullshit like those helicopter sequences.  Oh and most of the attempts at humor(and there is a ton of it) in this are cringeworthy, T3's humor is nothing compared to the stuff here.  This movie actually had BAY BOYS playing over the mug shots of Kyle Reese, Sarah Connor, and "Pops"(Ahnuld's Terminator) when they got arrested by the cops.

I lol'd when Terminator 2's theme song started playing as soon as the credits started rolling and @ that credit scene that sets it up for sequels.  Can't wait for that installment!

The only good parts of this movie are Emilia Clarke's hot bod in those tight pants and vest and a few moments with Ahnuld.

1984-2003, RIP

TERMINATOR_3-11.jpg

(Yes, I liked T3 enough, blow me)

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

Okay.  Let's try and figure this out.

We don't know who sent the two terminators back to the 70's, but the bigger question is why would they?

Because at this point, doesn't Skynet need John Connor?  Why kill him if they need him?

There is zero reason to do that except to try and do weird shit.

• Like 4

Plus sending 2 Terminators back to the early 70's would mess with history from that point on. Remember, in T1 Skynet sent the T-800 to Los Angeles 1984 because the only information that existed about her was that she was one of three Sarah Connor's in the LA phone book at that time. Why would the Sarah Connor of this movie be in the phone book if she has been living off the grid? Or in this new time line did Sarah Connor deliberately put herself in the phone book so that eventually Skynet would send a a Terminator back to 1984?

None of it really links up unless the time displacement device also allows the crossing into other timelines. This is alluded to by the fact Kyle Reese has memories of 2 timelines.

The writers really needed to make use of one of these.

timeline-300x248.jpg

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

Okay. Let's try and figure this out.

We don't know who sent the two terminators back to the 70's, but the bigger question is why would they?

Because at this point, doesn't Skynet need John Connor? Why kill him if they need him?

There is zero reason to do that except to try and do weird shit.

That was bugging the shit out of me pretty much from the start. The movie's explanation for the two terminators already being sent there in the 70s is just "everything has changed" as said by Sarah Conner to a really surprised Kyle Reese and simply rolls with it. I was waiting for an explanation even if it was really a dumb one, but it's like the movie either totally forgot about that or ignored it for no reason. Wtf?

• Like 1

That was bugging the shit out of me pretty much from the start. The movie's explanation for the two terminators already being sent there in the 70s is just "everything has changed" as said by Sarah Conner to a really surprised Kyle Reese and simply rolls with it. I was waiting for an explanation even if it was really a dumb one, but it's like the movie either totally forgot about that or ignored it for no reason. Wtf?

I hope it was something that was supposed to be explored in the probably not happening sequels and not something done with no thought so they could have an old Arnie and fully prepared Sarah Connor.

Has anyone seen if there is actually an explanation?

I found this.

terminator-x.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/30/terminator-genisys-franchise-timeline-explained

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

I hope it was something that was supposed to be explored in the probably not happening sequels and not something done with no thought so they could have an old Arnie and fully prepared Sarah Connor.

Has anyone seen if there is actually an explanation?

I found this.

terminator-x.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/30/terminator-genisys-franchise-timeline-explained

If your movie's timeline has become that convoluted, just take the L and hang it up.

If your movie's timeline has become that convoluted, just take the L and hang it up.

I read the whole thing.  It's a fun read and he's put a lot of thought into it.

Final conclusion.

terminator_1.jpg

Seems clear enough to me.

• Like 2