Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

I honstley do not know why Hollywood thinks they need to bring these series back from the dead. Jurassic Park was a success Terminator however well nothing was ever going to top Terminator 2 and now there bringing back Ghostbusters in a different twist we'll see how that goes next year.

The whole way the industry works these days is so drastically different than what it was a few decades ago.  It seems like all the big studios are just looking for the big score.  Its like gambling.  And since statistically known franchises are better bets . . . that's where most of the money goes.  Then the remaining money seems to go to accomplished directors, actors, etc.

Some studios have a broader or niche strategy but not the Major ones.  They seem to have the Wall Street mentality of short term profit only.

Not sure where the hate on TG is coming from. It's honestly doing numbers I expected. Did everyone expect a 20M OD? I'm confused.

I mean, that's similar to saying... "Not certain where the hate for Lone Ranger is coming from. I really expected it gross something like $10M OD DOM."

It's because it has $150M+ production budget and, I imagine, the studio expected A LOT more on OD when granting TG a $150M+ production budget and making certain it was PG-13 as opposed to R.

I mean, that's similar to saying... "Not certain where the hate for Lone Ranger is coming from. I really expected it gross something like $10M OD DOM."

It's because it has $150M+ production budget and, I imagine, the studio expected A LOT more on OD when granting TG a $150M+ production budget and making certain it was PG-13 as opposed to R.

And putting T6 and T7 on the schedule :rofl:

Now they will have to pass by the embarrassment of taking them out. If they want to keep the June 29, 2018 date for one of their movies they should wait no longer than next week to change. 

Hollywood has always been this way. Whether it's the old school star system or trying to create a franchise or cinematic universe. Yes, film is an artform but above all else it is a business not a charity or philanthropic enterprise. There's the odd outlier but business is business.

Maybe adult nostalgia is a harder sell than adult with family nostalgia.

Transformers, Jurassic World, and Alvin and the Chipmunks were all runaway hits.

The Robocop remake, Total Recall remake, Con as n the Barbarian reboot, and recent Terminator films all disappointed or flopped.

Which bodes well for Power Rangers but not so well for King Conan.

Looks like every major studio might have a flop this summer.

Disney had Tomorrowland.

Universal had Ted 2.

Paramount has Terminator Genesys.

WB - Vacation or Agent of UNCLE

FOX - Fantastic Four

Sony - The Meryl Streep movie

• Like 1

Low number is low and isn't surprising.

A friend went and saw it and his grade was C+, his ranking to me went: T2, T1, T4, T5, T3

He said the more he thought on it the more he was disappointed by the plot, screenplay and/or editing.

His opinion is that the films biggest mistake is in what it doesn't do: Advance the mythos

I have two separate friends trying to drag me to it this weekend. I'm possibly morbidly interested enough to see how bad the train wreck really is.

Transformers, Jurassic World, and Alvin and the Chipmunks were all runaway hits.

The Robocop remake, Total Recall remake, Con as n the Barbarian reboot, and recent Terminator films all disappointed or flopped.

But Mad Max did well and that's kind of Adult Nostalgia.    I agree that "Family Nostalgia" works better.   But maybe "Salvation" left a bigger bad taste than people are willing to admit.  Even "Batman Begins' didn't shake off "Batman and Robin" funk.   If this would of been the first Terminator movie since T3, I think it may have open better though that's a hypothetical.   Also this is just Day 1.  A lot of Terminator fans are waiting for the weekend.   But I do think "Salvation" left a bad taste. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

The Planet of the Apes movies were hits. TG always looked like a phoned-in cash-grab, with the forced attempts at repeating famous lines from the Cameron movies being a big-time red flag.

• Like 2

Inside Out is already holding way better than Up was during its week. But even with its continuing holds, it won't do much better than $32m this weekend. 4th of July Saturday really deflates things.

However, it may make thr fight against Minions easier next week, coming off of a deflated weekend.

• Like 2