Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

Yes, I'm going to do one of these. Write-ups for 100 movies, the ones I consider the best ever released after December 31, 1999 but before January 1, 2015. I've been wanting to do this for a while, so I figured halfway through 2015 would be the best time. So yeah, I'll start this up very soon. First up though: a list of acclaimed movies that'll NOT be in the countdown, as I have not seen them:

Spoiler

127 Hours

13 Assassins

28 Days Later...

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

50/50

A Beautiful Mind

A History of Violence

A Separation

Adaptation

Almost Famous

Amelie

American Psycho

Amores Perros

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Band of Brothers

Before Midnight

Before Sunset

Best in Show

Big Fish

Black Hawk Down

Black Swan

Blue Valentine

Brick

The Cabin in the Woods

Cast Away

City of God

Children of Men

Collateral

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Departed

The Devil's Backbone

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Donnie Darko

Drive

Eastern Promises

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Fall

The Fighter

Gangs of New York

Garden State

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Gone Baby Gone

Gran Torino

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Hedwig and The Angry Inch

High Fidelity

Hot Fuzz

Howl's Moving Castle

The Hurt Locker

I Saw the Devil

In Bruges

In the Loop

In the Mood for Love

Infernal Affairs

Inside Llewyn Davis

Into the Wild

The Intouchables

Ip Man

Juno

Kick-Ass

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Knocked Up

Lady Vengeance

Let the Right One In

Little Miss Sunshine

The Lives of Others

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Lost in Translation

The Master

Memento

Memories of Murder

Midnight in Paris

Milk

Minority Report

Moon

Moonrise Kingdom

Mulholland Dr.

Mystic River

No Country for Old Men

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Oldboy

Once

Pan's Labyrinth

Paprika

The Pianist

Primer

Requiem for a Dream

Road to Perdition

The Royal Tenenbaums

Shame

Shaun of the Dead

Shutter Island

Sin City

Snatch.

The Station Agent

Superbad

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Synecdoche, New York

The Town

Traffic

Training Day

The Tree of Life

True Grit

Unbreakable

Up in the Air

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

Walk the Line

Warrior

The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wrestler

X2

Y Tu Mama Tambien

You Can Count on Me

Zombieland

That's just a small example of what I haven't seen. I'll post the honorable mentions later tonight and start the official countdown tomorrow :) Thanks for reading in advance!

Edited by Blan Solo
  • Like 4

You Haven't seen ROTK??? how or Harry Potter? also I would highly suggest watching Warrior before starting,  as well as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, X2, Requiem for a Dream and Walk the Line, if you have time..  :)

• Like 1

I've been watching 2000s movies for the past month; sadly will not be able to hit anymore before starting this since I don't want this to take longer than a few weeks at most to finish :( Anyway, have honorable mentions:

movieposter.jpg

3119c7be2ab58173062c39c6b8c72ed7_XL.jpg

bernieposter.jpg

137685h1.jpg

eI0m66N.jpg

• Like 5

Spider-Man-v.jpg

Release Date: May 3, 2002.
Director: Sam Raimi.
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, and Kirsten Dunst.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 564.216M
RottenTomatoes: 89%
Average BOT Reviews: 88% (39 votes)

Let’s start the countdown with the first PG-13 movie I ever saw. Spider-Man captured my imagination in a way most films failed to; after seeing this, I wanted to read and watch as much Spider-Man as possible. Looking back on it, it’s easy to see why it’s so great: the cast is one of the best for a superhero movie. Tobey is still the best Peter Parker we’ve got, and Willem Dafoe hams it up perfectly as Osborne. Cliff and Rosemary are excellent too, and who could forget J.K. Simmons? Raimi’s direction is pitch perfect too, making the film actually feel like a comic book. There are definitely moments of cheese, but Spider-Man is still a truly excellent superhero movie, and a worthy kick-off to the insanity that soon would follow.

• Like 9

up.jpg

Release Date: May 29, 2009.
Director: Pete Docter.
Starring: Ed Asner, Christopher Plummer, and Jordan Nagai.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 318.903M
RottenTomatoes: 98%
Average BOT Reviews: 86% (24 votes)

One fantastic sequence can make a great movie. Everyone knows what I’m talking about: the Married Life sequence that makes you cry every freaking time. Giacchino’s score does wonders for this movie, and it definitely deserved the win. That said, although I find the rest of the film slightly disappointing, Asner’s voice-acting is impeccable, and the humor, though oddly placed at points, really works. Dug is still hilarious on the many rewatches I’ve given it. Where the film actually succeeds is the heart, as I remember the first time seeing it, I teared up on four different occasions. Up is a worthy first mention of Pixar on this countdown, and one I definitely enjoy owning despite the flaws of the film.

• Like 7

Kung_Fu_Panda_2_Poster.jpg

Release Date: May 26, 2011.
Director: Jennifer Yuh Nelson.
Starring: Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, and Dustin Hoffman.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 166.632M
RottenTomatoes: 81%
Average BOT Reviews: 80% (19 votes)

In 2011, I remember stating there was a Pixar movie out: Kung Fu Panda 2. I meant that this movie has the quality expected from 2007-2010 Pixar with memorable moments and good heartwrenching scenes. The first Kung Fu Panda isn’t that great at all, but this one ups the ante incredibly by adding Gary Oldman’s excellent villain and a fascinating story about Po’s relationship to his adoptive father and his own history. I’m really excited for Kung Fu Panda 3, mostly because this film has excellent action, a great story, and is one of DreamWorks’ best.

• Like 8

frozen-poster-1.jpg

Release Date: November 19, 2013.
Director: Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee.
Starring: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, and Jonathan Groff.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 400.738M
RottenTomatoes: 89%
Average BOT Reviews: 91% (87 votes)

Yes, the songs are overplayed. Yes, there are plenty of better Disney animated films in recent times. Frozen is still wildly entertaining, with a charm to it only shared by another recent Disney animated film. Is it revolutionary? Eh... I thought so at the time, but really, it’s a clever twist that’s a bit overrated. The music is great though, and Kristen Bell and Josh Gad both prove that they have a natural gift for voice acting. Frozen was in the right place at the right time, but it’s still a worthy addition to the Disney Animated Canon.
  • Like 7

4065618avatar-poster.jpg

Release Date: December 18, 2009.
Director: James Cameron.
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Stephen Lang.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 789.742M
RottenTomatoes: 83%
Average BOT Reviews: 85% (72 votes)

Avatar is the biggest film of all time. It got this high for a reason. I’ll admit, I haven’t been entertained by it much at home, but the first theatrical experience is one I will always take with me. The 3D effects were astounding and the story was actually pretty emotionally resonant, even if Cameron stuck with something pretty generic. Actually, I guess that shouldn’t be a knock against it, so ignore that aside. Still, the effects still work, with the Na’vi being incredibly believable creatures and Pandora being a world I wanted to go to. There’s a reason the world became obsessed with Avatar for a brief while, and I’m happy to have been a part of it.

• Like 7

xhU97Iztfqo1hOi2rQuuvQuH1L7.jpg

Release Date: September 20, 2013.
Director: Denis Villeneuve.
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Viola Davis.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 61.073M
RottenTomatoes: 82%
Average BOT Reviews: 87% (27 votes)

Back to live-action, we’ve got one of the more interesting thrillers out in recent memory. I remember all the hype for Hugh Jackman’s performance... which is pretty serviceable. The real star of the movie is Jake Gyllenhaal, turning in a now characteristically exquisite performance as Detective Loki, a man you just can’t stop watching. What could be a flat character breathes great life with Gyllenhaal, and the plot asks some interesting questions. Also, as always, Roger Deakins’ cinematography makes the film absolutely gorgeous. The ending is a bit eh, but this is a movie that has grown on me quite a bit as time has gone by. We need more original thrillers like this one.
  • Like 7

xhU97Iztfqo1hOi2rQuuvQuH1L7.jpg

Release Date: September 20, 2013.
Director: Denis Villeneuve.
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Viola Davis.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 61.073M
RottenTomatoes: 82%
Average BOT Reviews: 87% (27 votes)

Back to live-action, we’ve got one of the more interesting thrillers out in recent memory. I remember all the hype for Hugh Jackman’s performance... which is pretty serviceable. The real star of the movie is Jake Gyllenhaal, turning in a now characteristically exquisite performance as Detective Loki, a man you just can’t stop watching. What could be a flat character breathes great life with Gyllenhaal, and the plot asks some interesting questions. Also, as always, Roger Deakins’ cinematography makes the film absolutely gorgeous. The ending is a bit eh, but this is a movie that has grown on me quite a bit as time has gone by. We need more original thrillers like this one.

Great choice!

Zodiac was awesome. I'd have to tie it with Prisoners as my favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie (Note: I have Nightcrawler on Blu-Ray but have yet to watch it). Jarhead is also a really good one.

You should really watch Nighcrawler. Really good. I have Jarhead in my PC, but I havent watched it yet (I'll do it today or tomorrow).

• Like 2

mza_7732011070380788941.jpg

Release Date: May 4, 2012.
Director: John Madden.
Starring: Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, and Penelope Wilton.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 46.721M
RottenTomatoes: 78%
Average BOT Reviews: 97% (7 votes)

First weird choice of my list I think. You ever watch a movie that should be a lot better than it is but is still very entertaining? That’s where this lands. The great charming cast and pretty tight direction for the type of movie it is makes this a very fun dramedy. Wilkinson and Dench are the highlights, but really, I find it hard to imagine anyone not being taken in by the breeziness of this movie. I haven’t seen the sequel yet, but I don’t really see how it could match the surprisingly mature attitude this film has at points. It’s just super fun with a decent amount of substance.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3