Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

ee41c67d34152d4c7a2f50671f9e2744.jpg

Release Date: August 23, 2013.
Director: Woody Allen.
Starring: Cate Blanchett, Sally Hawkins, and Alec Baldwin.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 34.405M
RottenTomatoes: 91%

Average BOT Reviews: 90% (29 votes)

Fun fact: this is the only Woody Allen movie I like. Granted, I’ve only seen two, but still. It’s a movie that is very elevated by a single performance: Cate Blanchett’s deservedly award-sweeping role as Jasmine. Before I saw this movie, I didn’t understand what people might mean when they say it was a magnetic performance. You can’t keep your eyes of Blanchett in this, as she becomes wholly human but also a bit of bitch. She’s an awful person, but one that you can’t stop watching. The writing is clever too, with plenty of funny jokes, but the reason this works is the melancholia backdrop and tragedy of the story. Oh, and Sally Hawkins is good too.
  • Like 4

Catch_Me_If_You_Can_2002_movie.jpg

Release Date: December 25, 2002.
Director: Steven Spielberg.
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, and Christopher Walken.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 222.619M
RottenTomatoes: 96%

Average BOT Reviews: 95% (16 votes)

Spielberg makes his only appearance on this list with the phenomenal Catch Me If You Can. This is one of his most entertaining, as the pair of Hanks and DiCaprio and their game of cat and mouse is impossible not to enjoy. It’s just a tight, suave film with great production value. Walken is amusing too in his brief role, and I always get amusement from an extremely young Amy Adams popping up in this movie. It’s never boring, and the score by Williams is delightful in every sense. I could rewatch this movie once a month; that’s how watchable it is.

• Like 5

Oh dear... BLUE JASMINE?

You don't like?

tumblr_npe0pp4n7P1s8xd5do1_1280.jpg

Release Date: November 27, 2002.
Director: Ron Clements and John Musker.
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brian Murphy, and Emma Thompson.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 53.005M
RottenTomatoes: 68%

Average BOT Reviews: 84% (9 votes)

Look, it’s an underrated Disney flick! Let me get this out of the way first: BEN is one of the worst Disney characters ever created, and without him in this film, it would’ve placed a lot higher. The film is so impressive though, I have to put it on this list. One of the most widely creative re-imaginings of a classic tale, setting Treasure Island in space makes this a visual feast along with a movie with a very, very unique identity. The voice-acting is on point (I’m always surprised that a young JGL is in it) and the combination of CGI and traditional animation is still a visual wonder. It’s got a nice heart to it too; if BEN wasn’t in it, it’d probably be in my top five Disney movies. As it is though, it’s a splendidly creative adaptation that I wish we had more of from Disney during the 2000s.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 4

10006.jpg

Release Date: November 19, 2003.
Director: Jon Turteltaub.
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Harvey Keitel, and Jon Voight.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 225.191M
RottenTomatoes: 44%

Average BOT Reviews: 89% (7 votes)

We need more fun adventure movies like National Treasure. Cage is charismatic in the role, along with Jon Voight and Sean Bean being highlights. The film feels like a modern Indiana Jones, although with an American focus compared to the international focus of the Indy films. This is the type of blockbuster I love; I remember watching it on pay-per-view in a hotel and then my family buying the DVD the next day. Fast-paced with lovable characters, National Treasure is pure popcorn fun.

• Like 7

Tele thinks TDKR is fun but not Jurassic World? Sure.

I think they are both great. but they both star 2 of my top 3 favorite actors so. 

• Like 1

JW is crappy, boring, derivative, nonsensical, and leans heavily on the original movie for any semblance of wonder.

TDKR is (occasionally) nonsensical but incredibly enjoyable and entertaining.

What a load of hog wash.  lol

JW is fun, imaginative, exhilarating, action packed, humourous, and has the best final 30 minutes of any film in about a decade.  

TDKR has no logic, has people doing impossible things, has one of the dumbest scripts ever written...EVER...and yet KING Nolan has managed to brainwash everyone into liking it in some way, even me, as I can now just watch it and kind of enjoy it where as before I hated it.  TDKR is one of the worst blockbusters in film history.

yep_o_177359.jpg

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

Skyfall-Poster-001.jpg

Release Date: November 9, 2012.
Director: Sam Mendes.
Starring: Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, and Ralph Fiennes.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 307.007M
RottenTomatoes: 92%

Average BOT Reviews: 89% (82 votes)

Let the sky faaaa- Oh, you’ve all heard Adele’s song. Skyfall is a worthy addition to the Bond canon despite some bizarre plot choices. Craig continues to be one of the best Bonds, as he’s easily the most suave guy like ever. Bardem’s Silva is the best Bond villain of the new millennium, channeling a bit of Ledger’s Joker but also a lot of style. The cinematography is breathtaking, and Dench’s last turn as M is pretty good too. The action is super well shot, and overall, it does what a Bond movie should: keep you on the edge of your seat while rooting for Bond to beat up some bad guys!

• Like 5

mr-banks1.jpg

Release Date: December 13, 2013.
Director: John Lee Hancock.
Starring: Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, and Paul Giamatti.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 83.838M
RottenTomatoes: 80%
Average BOT Reviews: 94% (32 votes)

This movie wrecked me so much on initial watch. It’s weird how it works in a sort of meta way; the ending perfectly shows how cinema can move people to tears that it moves the audience member to tears. Emma Thompson deserved an Oscar nomination for her role, and I actually argue that so did Colin Farrell. The score by Thomas Newman is absolutely beautiful, working in themes from the original Mary Poppins in creative ways, while also having a great central theme. The script is full of good humor and emotional moments that works as very solid melodrama, and of course, since I’m a Disney buff, I loved the subject matter inherently. It bothers me a bit how inaccurate the movie is in portraying Disney and Travers, but the film works well regardless. A very solid bit of “Oscar bait.”

• Like 6

Kings-Speech-movie-Poster.jpg

Release Date: November 26, 2010.
Director: Tom Hooper.
Starring: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 143.010M
RottenTomatoes: 94%

Average BOT Reviews: 92% (29 votes)

Our second Best Picture winner arrives on our list with The King’s Speech. This is a prime example on how to make the British prestige drama actually exciting. There’s no scenes of combat or action; just some solid character drama and excellent acting. Firth and Rush don’t need any more said about them; many people have given them heaps of well-deserved praise for their wonderful performances. The directing by Hooper is well done, along with the cinematography style. Compare this to Les Mis (which will not appear on this list) and the difference is night and day. The tight script and fantastic performances make The King’s Speech the best of the “British biopic” sub-genre of awards film, and a worthy Best Picture winner.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 8

220px-Rango2011Poster.jpg

Release Date: March 4, 2011.
Director: Gore Verbinski.
Starring: Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, and Abigail Breslin.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 127.203M
RottenTomatoes: 87%

Average BOT Reviews: 88% (31 votes)

“Oh, Blank, you’re famous for being an animation looney… WHERE ARE THE ANIMATED FILMS?” Well, fear no more, Tele, because Rango’s here to show you what a real master can do in the medium.* Verbinski brings a manic energy to animation, with this fun Western with plenty of funny jokes and clever action sequences, and thankfully, the medium makes this be one of his shortest films. Johnny Depp gives an actual effort to his performance for maybe the last time, and it’s hard, as an animation buff, not to love just the audacity of making an mature animated comedy with such a huge budget. It’s also gorgeous; thanks again Roger Deakins! Rango is all animation should be in the hands of a live action director, and a wonderful film in general.

*Yeah, Happy Feet sucks.

Though George Miller is still much more talented than Gore Verbinski.

• Like 8