Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

la-maledizione-della-prima-luna-locandin

Release Date: July 9, 2003.
Director: Gore Verbinski.
Starring: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Orlando Bloom.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 411.269M
RottenTomatoes: 79%

Average BOT Reviews: 95% (45 votes)

Verbinski is here back-to-back! Don’t worry, these are his only two appearances on the list. The first Pirates movie introduced audiences to Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, and Elizabeth Swann in what is the signature original franchise of the 2000s. The swashbuckling fun is anchored by Depp’s breakout role, Geoffrey Rush’s great turn as Barbossa, and Verbinski’s first action directing. Swordfighting has never been so fun to watch. It’s a shame the sequels never lived up to it (although I’ll defend Pirates 3 to the world’s end… literally), but the first Pirates of the Caribbean is still blockbuster filmmaking at its finest.

• Like 10

la-maledizione-della-prima-luna-locandin

Release Date: July 9, 2003.
Director: Gore Verbinski.
Starring: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Orlando Bloom.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 411.269M

Average BOT Reviews: 95% (45 votes)

Verbinski is here back-to-back! Don’t worry, these are his only two appearances on the list.

why you do this Blank? WHY?

• Like 2

ThrWllBBld_1Sheet.jpg

Release Date: December 26, 2007.
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson.
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, and Kevin J. O'Connor.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 45.495M
RottenTomatoes: 91%

Average BOT Reviews: 94% (17 votes)

It’s the only Paul Thomas Anderson movie I’ve seen. Alright, got that out of the way. I’m actually not a big fan of There Will Be Blood. It’s got an okay, but slightly boring script and the pacing is all over the place. The directing is good, and Dano is good. This movie is at #80 though just because of Daniel Day-Lewis. Holy shit. I know he’s been written about a lot, especially for this role, but seriously, Daniel Plainview is such a well-realized, watchable character that this movie is this good. Plainview is riveting to watch and Day-Lewis embodies him entirely. A good movie plus a performance for all time make There Will Be Blood a must watch for everyone who considers themselves a film lover.

• Like 6

Furious-6_poster_goldposter_com_30.jpg

Release Date: May 24, 2013.
Director: Justin Lin.
Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, and Dwayne Johnson.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 238.680M
RottenTomatoes: 69%
Average BOT Reviews: 82% (60 votes)

There was a week earlier this year where I binged all the Fast and Furious movies in preparation for Furious 7. However, I had already seen (Fast and) Furious 6 in theaters thanks to Tele telling me to forget NYSM rewatch; Furious 6 was good enough without the previous five movies. I’m glad I went. Although it’s certainly not the best film in the franchise (one more will arrive later on in this list and I also consider Furious 7 a better film), this one features the craziest action in the series with the immensely watchable characters. It’s what got me hooked on the adrenaline rush this series offered, and come on, they flip a tank!! And take down a plane with a car!! It’s fucking awesome!!

• Like 2

Wherethewildthingsare.jpg

Release Date: October 16, 2009.
Director: Spike Jonze.
Starring: Max Records, Catherine Keener, and Mark Ruffalo.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 82.367M
RottenTomatoes: 73%
Average BOT Reviews: 83% (8 votes)

Before I get into this, let’s take a moment to marvel at its trailer, shall we?

I remember seeing this trailer on the big screen in absolute awe, and then rewatching it again and again online. This movie holds a special place in my heart for being the first truly adult drama I saw and was taken in by. It’s a film about childhood that a kid can watch and enjoy, but the true depth of it is felt by older audiences. It’s about growing up and the pains that come with it. The creatures, made with a combination of CGI, costumes, and puppetry, are a wonder to behold, and everything in the film has an astounding atmosphere. A magical flick.

• Like 3

capitc3a3o-amc3a9rica-o-primeiro-vingado

Release Date: July 22, 2011.
Director: Joe Johnston.
Starring: Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, and Hugo Weaving.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 180.684M
Average BOT Reviews: 78% (49 votes)

The first MCU movie arrives and it’s a good one (naturally)! I’ve always called the first Captain America movie the “Indiana Jones 4 we should’ve got,” and although my hatred of Crystal Skull has subsided a bit, I still think the tone of this film fits the pulpiness of Indiana Jones better than any other attempt. I love the adventure vibe this film lets off; it feels totally different from every other superhero movie. The WWII setting is unique, and Chris Evans begins his fantastic performance as Steve Rogers, mixing humanity with heroics. The effects are still impressive too on de-buffing Evans, and Weaving plays an amusing villain. Captain America: The First Avenger is a great take on a classic hero.
  • Like 5

medium_original.jpg

Release Date: May 5, 2000.
Director: Ridley Scott.
Starring: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, and Connie Nielsen.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 282.690M
RottenTomatoes: 76%
Average BOT Reviews: 98% (40 votes)

Another Best Picture winner arrives on the list, this one belonging to Mr. Scott. First off, let me say that I don’t know how Crowe won an Oscar for this performance. He’s very good, but Oscar-worthy? I don’t think so. Joaquin Phoenix is though, in the movie that first made me realize how great an actor he is. His Emperor is terrifying and one of the best villains I can remember. The actual action of the movie is just okay, but the operatic tone with Shakespearean qualities is definitely what I like most. It’s also very very quotable, which isn’t really positive but it’s cool. Phoenix though gives one of his best performances, and the movie is immensely watchable.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

Lars+and+the+Real+Girl+(2007).jpg

Release Date: October 12, 2007.
Director: Craig Gillespie.
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Emily Mortimer, and Paul Schneider.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 7.033M
RottenTomatoes: 81%
Average BOT Reviews: 100% (1 vote - mine!)

Lars and the Real Girl is a truly fascinating movie. Gosling’s performance as Lars might be the only time I’ve ever been impressed by him, and Emily Mortimer’s performance is also worth mentioning. However, the truly impressive thing about this film is the script, which does not ostracize Lars from society for falling in love with a sex doll. Rather, we see the whole town come together to make Lars happy for once, and it’s truly a touching film. There are moments of humor, but overall, the permeating sense of melancholy this film offers is astounding. Lars and Bianca are both memorable, and this movie is one of the better forgotten prestige films in recent years.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

medium_original.jpg

Release Date: May 5, 2000.

Director: Ridley Scott.

Starring: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, and Connie Nielsen.

Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 282.690M

RottenTomatoes: 76%

Average BOT Reviews: 98% (40 votes)

Another Best Picture winner arrives on the list, this one belonging to Mr. Scott. First off, let me say that I don’t know how Crowe won an Oscar for this performance. He’s very good, but Oscar-worthy? I don’t think so. Joaquin Phoenix is though, in the movie that first made me realize how great an actor he is. His Emperor is terrifying and one of the best villains I can remember. The actual action of the movie is just okay, but the operatic tone with Shakespearean qualities is definitely what I like most. It’s also very very quotable, which isn’t really positive but it’s cool. Phoenix though gives one of his best performances, and the movie is immensely watchable.

Ew... Gross

First stinker of the list

• Like 1

hunger-games-catching-fire-movie-poster-

Release Date: November 22, 2013.
Director: Francis Lawrence.
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 424.668M
RottenTomatoes: 89%
Average BOT Reviews: 90% (103 votes)

This will be the only Hunger Games movie to make my list, but don’t let that bring you down. Catching Fire is a blockbuster that improves on the original in every way, and actually manages to transcend its genre to become a thought-provoking film for everyone. J-Law and PSH are predictably good, but the real break-out star of this film is Sam Claflin, who everyone hated before the film came out, but ultimately, his portrayal of Finnick won audiences over. The action is better, along with the political machinations of the plot. Catching Fire is the highlight of one of the 2010s best blockbuster series, and is definitely worth enjoying again and again.
  • Like 4

the-bourne-ultimatum.jpg

Release Date: August 3, 2007.
Director: Paul Greengrass.
Starring: Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, and David Strathairn.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 268.469M
RottenTomatoes: 93%
Average BOT Reviews: 94% (25 votes)

Another entry, another sole representation of a franchise. Don’t get me wrong; I think all three Bourne movies are good films (shame they never made a fourth one), but Ultimatum is easily the most entertaining. Gone is the sometimes convoluted plots of the first two films and instead we have a simple plot with perfect tension. Matt Damon is at his Bourne best, but it’s not like you’re gonna watch a Bourne movie for the acting. The action setpieces, though, are all pretty stellar, and once the film begins, it never stops entertaining while also giving an excellent conclusion to Jason Bourne’s arc. Greengrass is one of the best directors currently working, and this was him applying all he knows to a thrilling tentpole.
  • Like 7