Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

QfHw5PY.jpg

Release Date: November 19, 2004.
Director: Stephen Hillenburg.
Starring: Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, and Clancy Brown.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 111.496M
RottenTomatoes: 68%
Average BOT Reviews: 94% (7 votes)

This is how you adapt a currently running television show to the big screen. You might think this is nostalgia talking, but I watched this earlier this year and I think it’s quite honestly one of the funniest animated movies ever made. The jokes consistently hit and the sense of anarchic humor is never better. SpongeBob and Patrick are a team for all time, even if they haven’t been good on television recently, and this movie shows just why they’re so funny; SpongeBob’s naivety mixed with Patrick’s stupidity is a potent combo. Mr. Lawrence’s voice-acting has also never been better as Plankton’s outright diabolical role in this film, and “guest-stars” Scarlett Johannson, Jeffrey Tambor, and Alec Baldwin all give great, not phoned-in, vocal performances. Oh, and David Hasselhoff’s in it. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie fucking rocks!
  • Like 4

I play the "Numbers, you haven't even seen it" card. It is super effective?

not very effective.

I have a younger sibling. She watched Spongebob.

Way

Too

Much

Spongebob

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

qEMJVOS.jpg

Release Date: December 19, 2001.

Director: Peter Jackson.
Starring: Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, and Viggo Mortensen.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 444.970M
RottenTomatoes: 91%
Average BOT Reviews: 97% (79 votes)

I’m not really a huge fan of Lord of the Rings. Why? Well… I’ll admit I’ve never truly tried Two Towers or Return of the King. My father only owns Two Towers Extended Edition, which I’m certain is lovely if you’re already into it, but as a casual first time watcher, I tried to slog my way through it but utterly failed in the effort. Thus, I have no desire to try these films until I can get my hands on theatrical cuts. That said, I did find the first LOTR film to be utterly charming. The acting is as good as you should suspect for a big budget fantasy movie, and it truly feels like you’re visiting another world. I also like the lighthearted vibe that I feel like it has even more than Hobbit 1, although it also does feel epic at points. One of these days, I’ve got to try the other ones though.
  • Like 9

Well, I never watched the other ones haha.

I will admit the last time I was watching my extended edition of Two Towers it did get boring here and there.. but I've seen it 100+ times.

• Like 2

QfHw5PY.jpg

Release Date: November 19, 2004.

Director: Stephen Hillenburg.

Starring: Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, and Clancy Brown.

Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 111.496M

RottenTomatoes: 68%

Average BOT Reviews: 94% (7 votes)

This is how you adapt a currently running television show to the big screen. You might think this is nostalgia talking, but I watched this earlier this year and I think it’s quite honestly one of the funniest animated movies ever made. The jokes consistently hit and the sense of anarchic humor is never better. SpongeBob and Patrick are a team for all time, even if they haven’t been good on television recently, and this movie shows just why they’re so funny; SpongeBob’s naivety mixed with Patrick’s stupidity is a potent combo. Mr. Lawrence’s voice-acting has also never been better as Plankton’s outright diabolical role in this film, and “guest-stars” Scarlett Johannson, Jeffrey Tambor, and Alec Baldwin all give great, not phoned-in, vocal performances. Oh, and David Hasselhoff’s in it. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie fucking rocks!

The first movie was much better than the second and I even liked the second one. This movie has been making me laugh for almost 11 years now.
  • Like 1

Locke-Poster.jpg

Release Date: April 25, 2014.

Director: Steven Knight.
Starring: Tom Hardy.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 1.376M
RottenTomatoes: 91%
Average BOT Reviews: 96% (19 votes)

Hail Tele. Seriously, Locke is a great film for people of all ages, not just ancient Tele. Tom Hardy has a captivating one-man performance that’s impossible to turn away from, which is nice because the camera refuses to turn away from him. Steven Knight’s script is routinely clever and enthralling, and the whole film is super tense and wonderfully brief. It’s a true work of art that’s one of Hardy’s best work, thanks to the spectacular cinematography complimenting his stellar performance. It’s just hard to say things about it, since there’s not much to it unless I spoil it all. Watch it though.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 6

Blanks what did you think of the 2015 SpongeBob movie?

The theatrical cuts of TTT and ROTK are the best balance between pace and Middle-Earth adventure.

I really need to watch the theatrical cuts, I've only seen the Extendeds. If the Extendeds are Jackson's vision then that is what I'd prefer to judge, though I do wonder if the theatrical version is better/worse. Particularly of RETURN OF THE KING.

• Like 1

Blanks what did you think of the 2015 SpongeBob movie?

I really need to watch the theatrical cuts, I've only seen the Extendeds. If the Extendeds are Jackson's vision then that is what I'd prefer to judge, though I do wonder if the theatrical version is better/worse. Particularly of RETURN OF THE KING.

I'm both a big Tolkien and Jackson fan, and aside from FOTR, the theatrical editions are better: the extended editions push the balance far too much toward scenes that don't really advance the story, that digress off into side moments (many of which, frankly, are just Jackson and Co. fooling around), and because the movies are already so long, it starts becoming to chore to get through them. There are a few nice moments that I wish would've been included in the theatrical versions, but overall the TEs are a more enjoyable viewing experience.

• Like 1

Jackson is like Cameron with some of his movies - he says the theatrical cuts are his director's cuts, and the extended cuts are alternate versions. I love the extended cuts, haven't watched the theatricals in years, but the theatrical cuts certainly were definitely more suited to theaters and to GA viewing. (The 2011 Fathom screenings were the first time I had ever watched any of the extended cuts in one sitting, uninterrupted, with no intermission to switch discs. They did get kind of long to watch in one go.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

django-unchained.jpg

Release Date: December 25, 2012.

Director: Quentin Tarantino.
Starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 166.031M
RottenTomatoes: 88%
Average BOT Reviews: 95% (64 votes)

Tarantino’s vengeance western is one of his most fun films, although it might be a tad overlong. It also notably departs from his “chapter” style of filmmaking, which might come off as slightly disappointing, but it’s still a good flick. Foxx has the charisma to make his character work with decent chemistry with Waltz. The real stars though, as frequent as it may be with Tarantino, are the bad guys, played by DiCaprio and Jackson. DiCaprio might be a bit overrated in the role, but ultimately, he’s quite terrifying. Jackson is even better, actually giving an unrecognizable performance for the first time in a decade. Both were snubbed at the Oscars, but that don’t mean Blanky can’t recognize them. The action is good, and the soundtrack is rocking. It’s a great time at the cinema, even if it doesn’t go as in-depth on slavery as I’d like it to. Tarantino’s chill in my book.

• Like 3