Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

StarTrek2009.jpg

Release Date: May 8, 2009.
Director: J.J. Abrams.
Starring: John Cho, Ben Cross, and Bruce Greenwood.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 280.530M
RottenTomatoes: 95%
Average BOT Reviews: 95% (34 votes)

I’ve always been a fan of the characters in Star Trek: The Original Series, so when I heard Hollywood was making a big budget movie about them, 13-year-old Blank was excited. I liked it when I first saw it, and as time goes by, I still think Star Trek 2009 is a great space opera blockbuster. The characters are all well-defined and given moments to shine (with maybe the exception of Pegg’s Scotty, but he gets plenty of time to shine in STID, so it’s forgiven), the action is exciting, and the tone is light and breezy. It’s more a Star Wars movie in feeling than Star Trek, yes, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. All the characters are perfectly cast, although Quinto and Pine definitely anchor the team. I do wish Urban’s McCoy had more to do in the movie, but so it goes. Eric Bana is a good villain and it’s cool to see Nimoy don the Vulcan ears for the last time (ignoring that awkward cameo in STID). Star Trek 2009 is a damn good entertaining blockbuster that put J.J. Abrams on my map.
  • Like 8

Elf_movie.jpg

Release Date: November 7, 2003.
Director: Jon Favreau.
Starring: Will Ferrell, James Caan, and Zooey Deschanel.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 233.005M
RottenTomatoes: 84%
Average BOT Reviews: 78% (18 votes)

Probably the only modern movie I’d consider a Christmas classic, Elf is one of Will Ferrell’s best films simply because he restrains his wackiness for once. Buddy the Elf is crazy, but he’s understandably so, and more importantly, he has his heart in the right place, unlike every other Will Ferrell lead character. Deschenal is kinda eh as usual, but Caan, Asner, and the rest of the supporting cast make up for her. There’s a real sense of magic in watching Elf that is hard to find other contemporary Christmas movies. It’s not ashamed to believe in Santa and elves, and it’s also super, super funny. Elf is one of Faverau and Ferrell’s best films, and is a modern Christmas classic.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

What a load of hog wash.  lol

JW is fun, imaginative, exhilarating, action packed, humourous, and has the best final 30 minutes of any film in about a decade.  

TDKR has no logic, has people doing impossible things, has one of the dumbest scripts ever written...EVER...and yet KING Nolan has managed to brainwash everyone into liking it in some way, even me, as I can now just watch it and kind of enjoy it where as before I hated it.  TDKR is one of the worst blockbusters in film history.

yep_o_177359.jpg

Bullshit, JW is idiotic on both a conceptual basis and in practice.  It's boring, contrived and cliched-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life, complete with chemistry devoid stock characters and some of the worst CGI to ever be put to film.  It's every bit of a step BACKWARDS as a cinematic achievement as the first JP was a step forward.

The Dark Knight Rises was every bit as good as the first JP film.  JP has better effects, TDKR had better characters.

• Like 1

Bullshit, JW is idiotic on both a conceptual basis and in practice.  It's boring, contrived and cliched-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life, complete with chemistry devoid stock characters and some of the worst CGI to ever be put to film.  It's every bit of a step BACKWARDS as a cinematic achievement as the first JP was a step forward.

The Dark Knight Rises was every bit as good as the first JP film.  JP has better effects, TDKR had better characters.

anigif_enhanced-6732-1422551428-2.gif?re

• Like 1

school-of-rock.jpg

Release Date: October 3, 2003.
Director: Richard Linklater.
Starring: Jack Black, Joan Cusack, and Mike White.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 109.355M
RottenTomatoes: 92%
Average BOT Reviews: 96% (5 votes)

Linklater’s amusing kid film comes in at #70 for good reason; it’s a movie I should be nostalgic for, since it released when I was 8 and is targeted to me. However, I didn’t see until I was 17, and I still find it immensely enjoyable. Jack Black is actually entertaining in it, not obnoxious like usual in his films targeted to younger audiences. The film is packed with good jokes for all ages, and it doesn’t talk down to kids at all. The music is excellent, with Black showing off why he’s in Tenacious D. Overall, it’s just an enjoyable comedy that you can watch and laugh at every time without feeling tired of it. Good time.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

Cloudy+with+a+Chance+of+Meatballs.jpg

Release Date: October 3, 2003.
Director: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
Starring: Bill Hader, Anna Faris, and James Caan.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 133.955M
RottenTomatoes: 87%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (6 votes)

My beloved Lord Miller make their first appearance on this list with their first film, appropriately. Lacking the thematic resonance of their later works, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is still a damn funny film, and, if you’ve been paying attention to this thread, the best animated movie of 2009. This is also the movie that introduced to me to my beloved Bill Hader, who’s voice-acting as Flint Lockwood grounds the movie in heart and humor. This is a movie that cares about its characters but still is hilarious. I remember thinking it’d be terrible but the movie completely surprised me with its wacky energy and animation. An animated film I’ll be watching for years to come.
  • Like 3

Silver_Linings_Playbook_Poster.jpg

Release Date: November 16, 2012.
Director: David O. Russell.
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 134.763M

Average BOT Reviews: 92% (55 votes)

On initial watch, I thought this film was glorious in every way, but nowadays, this is a movie I feel like I should hate, but I can’t helped being charmed by. There are some problems with it structurally, but it’s such a joy to watch. Cooper and Lawrence give performances that still haven’t been topped by either of them, and DeNiro should’ve won Best Supporting Actor of the nominees that year. O’Russell’s script is super funny and also poignant, and this is his only movie where his directing style actually fits. The film itself is bipolar, which is wonderful and weird. It’s a romantic movie that I can’t stop watching, even if it feels a bit like junk food. Silver Linings is one of the best romantic dramedies in recent memory, tackling its tough subject matter with vigor and charm.
  • Like 5

Silver_Linings_Playbook_Poster.jpg

Release Date: November 16, 2012.
Director: David O. Russell.
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 134.763M

Average BOT Reviews: 92% (55 votes)

On initial watch, I thought this film was glorious in every way, but nowadays, this is a movie I feel like I should hate, but I can’t helped being charmed by. There are some problems with it structurally, but it’s such a joy to watch. Cooper and Lawrence give performances that still haven’t been topped by either of them, and DeNiro should’ve won Best Supporting Actor of the nominees that year. O’Russell’s script is super funny and also poignant, and this is his only movie where his directing style actually fits. The film itself is bipolar, which is wonderful and weird. It’s a romantic movie that I can’t stop watching, even if it feels a bit like junk food. Silver Linings is one of the best romantic dramedies in recent memory, tackling its tough subject matter with vigor and charm.

4f9eaebf0f6cf152e9009ab55f31b8f1.jpg

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Stranger_Than_Fiction_%282006_movie_post

Release Date: November 10, 2006.
Director: Marc Forster.
Starring: Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Dustin Hoffman.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 50.407M
RottenTomatoes: 72%
Average BOT Reviews: 100% (6 votes)

I feel comfortable saying The Truman Show is my favorite film of all time. Thus, it makes sense that the film considered Will Ferrell’s Truman Show would be on this list. Stranger Than Fiction is fun, quirky dramedy where Ferrell delivers his most subdued performance. The film is breezy with an air of whimsy, and overall, it charms. It takes full advantage of its original plot to both humor and melodrama. It’s just a nice, light movie which has the creativity for me to enjoy regardless of any lack of depth and character prowess.
  • Like 3