CJohn

Solo: A Star Wars Story | May 25, 2018 | Bombs in spectacular fashion

15 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Funny if this film ends up being the highest grossing May film for 2018. 

It would have been funnier if you went back in time and mentioned this as a possibility in January. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Funny if this film ends up being the highest grossing May film for 2018. 

Well it makes sense as Deadpool is getting negative buzz and IW is in April.

Nice try :) 

Disney has all of May to promote this now, and if they're smart they'll use that time to push it as aggressively as possible. Because right now this movie still feels like it has no buzz at all or presence in the collective conscious. 

Posted (edited)

If Deadpool stays put and is well received, no way this makes $100m in its OW. 

Disclaimer: I'm a huge SW fan and loved TLJ. This assessment isn't out of any 'hate' but due to the short window between it and the divisive TLJ, saturation, competition, and overall meh' look/reception of the film.

Edited by lilmac

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

If Deadpool stays put and is well received, no way this makes $100m in its OW. 

Disclaimer: I'm a huge SW fan and loved TLJ. This assessment isn't out of any 'hate' but due to the short window between it and the divisive TLJ, saturation, competition, and overall meh' look/reception of the film.

I suspect this film will underperform unless the following trailers catch fire and excite people. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, marveldcfox said:

Hey Solo! Please save May 2018!

Ron and co must be breathing a sigh of relief. 

Maybe.Just because Deadpool 2 might be a disappointment does not mean that SOLO can't be another one......

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I suspect this film will underperform unless the following trailers catch fire and excite people. 

Yeah. Just because Deadpool 2 might have problems does not mean that SOLO will be able to capitalize on them. Solo has a fair amount of baggage to deal with.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Disney has all of May to promote this now, and if they're smart they'll use that time to push it as aggressively as possible. Because right now this movie still feels like it has no buzz at all or presence in the collective conscious. 

I think the legs are what will be interesting about SOLO. It is going to have a big opening weekend, the legs are another question. There is an old Hollywood saying, a huge marketing effort might buy you a big open weekend, but it can't buy you legs.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah. Just because Deadpool 2 might have problems does not mean that SOLO will be able to capitalize on them. Solo has a fair amount of baggage to deal with.

Yeah it just means Infinity War might be #1 for 5 weeks

^_^

• Like 1

Not enough "Ranger Solo" in the thread title.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

^_^

That's assuming it isn't a mess either 

:redcapes:

• Astonished 1

Theater standee for Solo:

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

^_^

It will be fantastic, but highly unlikely for 4th weekend of IW to beat Deadpool 2's OW, and 5th weekend to beat Solo's OW.

FWIW, which probably isn't much, my father asked me out of the blue about this film a couple of days ago, long before the marketing campaign has started.

Regularly watches these types of movie on TV but only goes to the theatre for SW films pretty much nowadays.

That he asked what it was about this far out before any TV/print advertising really starts might show that this isn't completely off the radar screen when it comes to the SW casual general audience in North America.

(FTR, he liked TLJ)

Now I know the relationship between data and anecdote so no need to remind me. :) But, well, he's also asked me about the other SW films at a similar point before the marketing really kicked in. So it's just something I found of interest. 

• Like 1

Considering the anticipation for IW and what a great trailer, moving IW a week up was not to protect IW legs from Solo but Solo from IW domination. 

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

FWIW, which probably isn't much, my father asked me out of the blue about this film a couple of days ago, long before the marketing campaign has started.

Regularly watches these types of movie on TV but only goes to the theatre for SW films pretty much nowadays.

That he asked what it was about this far out before any TV/print advertising really starts might show that this isn't completely off the radar screen when it comes to the SW casual general audience in North America.

(FTR, he liked TLJ)

Now I know the relationship between data and anecdote so no need to remind me. :) But, well, he's also asked me about the other SW films at a similar point before the marketing really kicked in. So it's just something I found of interest. 

No, you're right. The moment I was certain that Jurassic World was going to break all the records was when my parents told me they were going to see it on the opening weekend.

the only time i remember this movie is releasing is when one of you guys post in this thread and it pops back to the top

• Like 1

Saw the trailer for this in front of Black Panther at IMAX this weekend and it was really awesome. Before the trailer came out I'd been kinda meh about this, but it looks pretty cool and I'll definitely have to see it opening night. If it turns out to be shit then oh well, at least we got more Chewie, Lando, and that awesome looking villain.

tumblr_p3p13vlQ2q1wjld8qo1_540.gif

• Like 1