CJohn

Solo: A Star Wars Story | May 25, 2018 | Bombs in spectacular fashion

3 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Agree. Black Panther reactions had several thinking the lead was overshadowed by the supporting cast and it worked out fine. Granted Chadwick Boseman didn’t have to deal with a negative perception prior to that movie’s release. Also reminds me of Rogue One, where some of the supporting characters were more memorable than the leads. If the tweet is about Solo, it’s a good sign imo. 

Already going to make a prediction that we'll see quite a few 'second time around' style posts in regards to Solo along the lines of "wasn't sure of Alden's performance, but I was much happy with it after a second viewing" or "It took me 15/30/45 minutes to get over the fact that he's not Harrison Ford, and once I did then I thought Alden was fine" type things.

Whether or not that is a GOOD thing (or honest reaction :ph34r:) I leave up to the punters in the peanut gallery. But given how these types of films play here on BOT, you know they're coming. :lol:

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

Again, he didn’t say “test screening” just that a close friend, who happens to be a critic, got to see an “early screening”

Maybe it’s Solo, maybe it’s not; but I’m leaning towards the former

I have a basic suspicion of "I have a friend who" evidence in any case.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I have a basic suspicion of "I have a friend who" evidence in any case.

Well, even if it's true, it's still only one person's reaction.  That's where the doubt should be placed, if anywhere.

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, even if it's true, it's still only one person's reaction.  That's where the doubt should be placed, if anywhere.

Hey, Anecdotal evidence is very questionable anyway.

45 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Granted Chadwick Boseman didn’t have to deal with a negative perception prior to that movie’s release. Also reminds me of Rogue One, where some of the supporting characters were more memorable than the leads. If the tweet is about Solo, it’s a good sign imo. 

Chadwick Boseman also had the advantage of already being well received for his performance in Civil War. I think people would have talked more about how good he was in Black Panther if it was the first time he played the character. Rogue One was also a much more of an ensemble movie. Sure Felicity Jones was the lead but the film was marketed more as crew or group like GOTG or Suicide Squad. 

And unfortunately for Alden neither of those two examples had the leads being a recast for one of the most iconic characters of all time with a huge and volatile fanbase. 

But yes at this point I'll be happy if Solo just ends up being a good movie even if after seeing it I hypothetically wanted more of Donald Glover's Lando (which btw started watching Atlanta and it's such a good show) or Woody Harrelson. 

Could be Ant-Man 2?

Nah, i also think it's Solo, and that Solo is gonna surprise in quality and box office numbers to more than one in the forums. 

And i insist on the music (John Williams is a f*king master). I'm loving it and it really gets me into what's happening in the screen. Just listen (goosebumps)

Here you go

That was in response to someone asking him if his friend saw it with others or only him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I'm usually not a fan of these things, but in this case I'll make an exception:

That... that's actually really well done.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, junkshop36 said:

Here you go

That was in response to someone asking him if his friend saw it with others or only him. 

giphy.gif

Or, to put it another way:  Objection Withdrawn, Your Honor. :D

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

How depressing is that a movie that literally 0 people asked for and is assured to be mediocre af will make tons of money and get a pass from beaten to submission critics?

I say very.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

How depressing is that a movie that literally 0 people asked for and is assured to be mediocre af will make tons of money and get a pass from beaten to submission critics?

I say very.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I say very.

I asked for it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

it’s a figure of speech my dude. i’m aware that around 3 people in the fandom must have asked for a han solo origin film, along with boba fett’s.

11 minutes ago, Goffe said:

it’s a figure of speech my dude. i’m aware that around 3 people in the fandom must have asked for a han solo origin film, along with boba fett’s.

Fun fact: About six months before Rogue One came out, the Solo movie was voted as being looked forward too MORE than either Rogue One or the hypothetical Boba Fett movie on a General Interest board.  Buzzfeed poll.

This idea that "no one"/"only a few people" wanted a Young Han Solo movie is revisionism of the highest order.

I'll see if I can drege up that post from a couple of years back when I made it in the R1 thread.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

That didn't take as long as I thought it might:

On 8/11/2016 at 11:42 AM, Porthos said:

There's some surprising answers there, IMO. For instance, not a surprise that ESB ranks first from the OT with a lot of people.  But maybe surprising that nearly as many chose RotJ when it came to favorite OT film.  Also a tad surprising to see how many people prefer the PT to the OT.  I mean, it ain't many, but given how loud the partisans can get on the issue online, one would think it was in single digits. Just goes to show that there is in fact something for everyone out there. ;)

I will say that the one answer that flat out shocked me is that the upcoming Han Solo film is the most anticipated of the three standalone films:

Which Anthology film are you most excited for?
  1. enhanced-buzz-1887-1470802390-0.jpg
    50%
    14.3K votes

Han Solo film
  2. enhanced-buzz-2022-1470802352-0.jpg
    38%
    10.8K votes

Rogue One
  3. enhanced-buzz-24278-1470802420-0.jpg
    12%
    3,599 votes

Boba Fett film

With all of the channeling of Nancy Kerrigan (Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyy!!! WhhhhhhhhhhhhYYYYYYYY!!!) out there, I almost thought it would come in dead last.  Just goes to show that maybe one shouldn't always listen to the loud strident voices online when it comes to a subject. :P

It was four months before R1's release, not six.  My bad. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That didn't take as long as I thought it might:

It was four months before R1's release, not six.  My bad. ;)

Of course, it could have been b/c none of the 3 were anticipated, so it was the best of the worst ideas:)...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Of course, it could have been b/c none of the 3 were anticipated, so it was the best of the worst ideas:)...

:redcapes:

On iPad, so I'll just leave this tweet for now, but, yes, he's confirmed he was talking about Solo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I’m sure a movie that made 500m+ DOM wasn’t anticipated and was a horrible idea

• Like 3