CJohn

Solo: A Star Wars Story | May 25, 2018 | Bombs in spectacular fashion

49 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Why? Disney is 3/3 right now for many people, with Solo looking great as well. Kathy is one of the most successful people in cinema history, she has proven herself numerous times with many properties and directors. Who wouldn‘t trust her?

Dude, that is one of the most sensible comments about Kennedy I have seen in the internet in a very long while. I agree completely with you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, commendable said:

wake me up when disney doesn't own star wars anymore

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Or just someone other than Kathleen Kennedy in charge.

When your underperforming movie only does 1.3B

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $2,068.2 $936.7 45.3% $1,131.6 54.7% 2015
2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $1,329.4 $618.7 46.5% $710.7 53.5% 2017
3 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $1,056.1 $532.2 50.4% $523.9 49.6% 2016
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Giesi said:

Why? Disney is 3/3 right now for many people, with Solo looking great as well. Kathy is one of the most successful people in cinema history, she has proven herself numerous times with many properties and directors. Who wouldn‘t trust her?

She certainly is employing a lot of white dude directors (temporarily at least until they fold their socks wrong)

21 minutes ago, LouderThanYou said:

Dude, that is one of the most sensible comments about Kennedy I have seen in the internet in a very long while. I agree completely with you.

That Kennedy made some serious mistakes with the making of "Solo" is undeniable. You don't fire a director when principal photography  is almost complete and bring in a new director to reshoot most of the film unless there have not been some major screw-ups along the line. Question is if Kennedy can correct those mistakes and bring out at least a decent film.

You have to go by the overall record of a producer or a director, not just how a individual film does. Kennedy has been very successful overall, and everybody messes up once in a while.

Solo is going to make money no matter  how it turns out. Maybe not as much as Disney might be expecting if the film disappoints,but The Moujse will make a profit on it. And with Kennedy's 3/3 at least as far as box office goes she is going nowhere.

• Like 1

just cause she a producer credit on a movie that was destined to break box office records doesn't mean much to be quite honest

The SW fatigue is settling in, for reasons other than a movie every single year, and kathy is the constant.

26 minutes ago, commendable said:

just cause she a producer credit on a movie that was destined to break box office records doesn't mean much to be quite honest

The SW fatigue is settling in, for reasons other than a movie every single year, and kathy is the constant.

She literally runs Lucasfilm. She deserves a ton of credit for the movies being as successful as they are, both critically and commercially.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RandomYojimbo said:

I mean, if these drops weren't entirely expected and completely in line with projects from over 2 years ago, you might have a point. TLJ was always going to drop like this. Not only because TFA was huge, and impossible to match for a sequel, but the SW pattern is this kind of drop. if EP9 continues a drop instead of picking up like other third parts, then you may have a point.

But right now, you're using far too few data points to draw conclusions from.

But was a $700 million drop really expected?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

That Kennedy made some serious mistakes with the making of "Solo" is undeniable. You don't fire a director when principal photography  is almost complete and bring in a new director to reshoot most of the film unless there have not been some major screw-ups along the line. Question is if Kennedy can correct those mistakes and bring out at least a decent film.

You have to go by the overall record of a producer or a director, not just how a individual film does. Kennedy has been very successful overall, and everybody messes up once in a while.

Solo is going to make money no matter  how it turns out. Maybe not as much as Disney might be expecting if the film disappoints,but The Moujse will make a profit on it. And with Kennedy's 3/3 at least as far as box office goes she is going nowhere.

She did a serious mistake with Solo, yeah. But in my opinion, she has also made some very good decisions. We have only seen three of the new star wars movies, so it is early to say wether she is a good person for the job or not, but imo she has made more good decisions than bad ones.

And firing someone almost at the end of principal photography is undeniably serious... But also shows that she cares about the project in hands. She could have just called it a day and think that the movie would make a lot of money either way. Just look at how much the transformers movies do, and they are terrible.

Whether KK made a mistake with Solo (serious or otherwise) remains to be seen. reviews and boxoffice aren't out yet and the latter is all that matters. So if that gets big than director firing and re-hiring woes don't mean anything nor does approving a movie that nobody asked for (but ended up embraced by everyone who thought they didn't need it). 

7 minutes ago, LouderThanYou said:

She did a serious mistake with Solo, yeah. But in my opinion, she has also made some very good decisions. We have only seen three of the new star wars movies, so it is early to say wether she is a good person for the job or not, but imo she has made more good decisions than bad ones.

And firing someone almost at the end of principal photography is undeniably serious... But also shows that she cares about the project in hands. She could have just called it a day and think that the movie would make a lot of money either way. Just look at how much the transformers movies do, and they are terrible.

In your opinion.

Anyway I will probably start rooting for Solo since Howard is directing this now.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

reviews and boxoffice aren't out yet and the latter is all that matters.

Not sure I agree with that, Box office is just one element of the Star Wars empire revenues stream, how well receive those movie are and how well they help the other stream (including the next entry box office) is arguably more important than a one particular entry, particular windows performance.

Those kind of numbers

http://fortune.com/2015/12/24/star-wars-value-worth/

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/geeks-guide-star-wars-empire/

http://fortune.com/2015/12/30/star-wars-video-game-sales/

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-merchandise-disney-1201651244/

In the first year following “The Force Awakens,” the power of “Star Wars” products could produce $5 billion in revenue, predicts analyst Tim Nollen of Macquarie Securities. 

They are massive part of the running parks, Star wars tv series for their streaming services, they tend to have giant life, there is more in play than the one movie Box office (look at WB with is DC entry, they did really well, box office was good, terrible reception was still alarming and it did not took long to impact the result with Justice League result).

Those movies were from the start in good part publicity for toys.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LouderThanYou said:

. Just look at how much the transformers movies do, and they are terrible.

They were quite quality resilient and I think a lot of their success was based on the first one not being terrible (did find it quite fun at the time) and new market popularity did soften their downtrend return, but they did went down and down after the second one:

Title (click to view)  Adjusted Gross   Unadjusted Gross 
Transformers: The Last Knight  $       133,617,300.00  $     130,168,683.00
Transformers: Age of Extinction  $       278,848,300.00  $     245,439,076.00
Transformers: Dark of the Moon  $       406,315,000.00  $     352,390,543.00
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen  $       494,810,500.00  $     402,111,870.00
Transformers  $       425,970,900.00  $     319,246,193.00

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/16/17021028/transformers-reboot-cinematic-universe-michael-bay

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/transformers/news/a850478/paramount-drops-transformers-6-universe-reboot/

Last one made 27% of the peak entry adjusted, 32% unadjusted.

• Like 1

@Barnack yes but critical response does not draw people into theme parks, etc. I mean, it's better to get good reviews but critics really fanboyed with TLJ. I think there would have been less backlash if critics didn't go overboard with praise. If the movie got solid 75-80% on RT nobody would have made a big deal out of discrepancy between audience score and critics. heck, I bet audience score would have been better. 

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes but critical response does not draw people into theme parks, etc. I mean,

Really talking about audience reception here (reviews does not matter for those type of movie I imagine, people buy their ticket before the embargo is out), the point was people liking it matter not just box office (people buying their ticket before seeing a movie, does not mean they like it because they paid)

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

Really talking about audience reception here (reviews does not matter for those type of movie I imagine, people buy their ticket before the embargo is out)

Yep. As soon they go on sale. 

18 hours ago, commendable said:

Why?

What did Disney change apart from changing the times between two films.

And producing three good films (not like the PT).

Edited by Taruseth

18 hours ago, commendable said:

latest?cb=20140203184312&path-prefix=pt-

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

What did Disney change apart from changing the times between two films.

Well regardless of opinion, George Lucas being involved with them or not is a big deal that change pretty much everything, remove copy rights law and almost all the studio would have proposed their own star wars 7, it is a bit fan fiction now. That said I am not sure than an other buyer would have went with Lucas ideas.

Edited by Barnack

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@Barnack yes but critical response does not draw people into theme parks, etc. I mean, it's better to get good reviews but critics really fanboyed with TLJ. I think there would have been less backlash if critics didn't go overboard with praise. If the movie got solid 75-80% on RT nobody would have made a big deal out of discrepancy between audience score and critics. heck, I bet audience score would have been better. 

That doesn't really fit together. RT says how many critics liked it, not how much they liked it. Your comment doesn't amount to saying that the critics should have been less positive, it amounts to saying that some critics should have said that they disliked it even though they liked it.

I don't think there was any sort of increased backlash due to critics being too positive. I mean, who exactly goes out and says "I would have been fine with the movie if critics had deemed it to be good but not great, but due to them being so positive about it I have to hate it!"?

Those who wanted to bring the movie down due to general political ideas would have done so anyway. Those who were deeply offended by the fate of some characters or who had "their childhood ruined" wouldn't have been more positive about the movie regardless of what the critics had said either. That leaves those who dislike it to some extent, and I don't really see why any of them would be so unsure about themselves that they needed to base their opinion on how much it differs from what critics said.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

But was a $700 million drop really expected?

TLJ dropped 35.69% (WW)

AotC dropped 36.77%

So yes it should have been expected. 

• Like 1