CJohn

Solo: A Star Wars Story | May 25, 2018 | Bombs in spectacular fashion

I respect the fact that movies can release late in Japan without the fear of piracy satiating demand by then. :bravo:

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I know this is being discussed to death in the IW thread, but I gots to think this helps both Deadpool 2 and Solo, no?

Totally. I now can see even clearer Solo making 500M. 

I wonder if Fox is still totally independent from Disney, or if Disney has waited to move IW a week back till they made sure DP2 couldn't move again. I mean, maybe Disney can already block Fox releases dates. Just guessing. 

But if DP2 moves back a week too, then the 550M+ for Solo might happen

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I wonder if Fox is still totally independent from Disney, or if Disney has waited to move IW a week back till they made sure DP2 couldn't move again. I mean, maybe Disney can already block Fox releases dates. Just guessing. 

Thinking BP blowing out records left and right might have a bit to do with it. :lol:  If a film in Feb can do what BP did, then releasing IW in late April doesn't matter in the least.

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

If you like Japanese box office you should follow the World of KJ forum. The admin. "Corpse" makes an incredible work and knows a lot about box office in Japan.

Said that, i remember last summer, and there was a period during july-august where he couldn't post box office numbers very regularly due to many holidays periods. And also, for what i have come to understand from japanese box office, legs tend to be big for most movies (blockbusters can easily have x10 or x15 legs). @Corpse said that there's a festival in july, he literally said: "I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to provide regular updates during Obon Festival this year, since it's typically the most exciting week at the box office." 

So I guess releasing it by the end of june, makes Solo go through all those holidays in july-august that might help its run.

(if any japanese in the forum, please confirm my theory XD) 

That is accurate. Here's an exact quote from Corpse.

"The Summer box-office season doesn't begin until mid-July in Japan. June is one of the weakest months of the year (along with October and February).

Mid-July through late-August are the strongest 6 weeks of the year at the box-office, and when studios release most of their biggest films."

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

It’s not making 500M+, the ceiling for this is probably 400M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babz06 said:

It’s not making 500M+, the ceiling for this is probably 400M.

Not only 500M+ dom, but closer to 200M 4-day-ow than most of you think.

In my wishes, Solo making a 4-day ow similar to BP's. That would bring heart attacks here and there around the forum. Would be glorious to see.  

You read it here first XD

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

In my wishes, Solo making a 4-day ow similar to BP's. That would bring heart attacks here and there around the forum. Would be glorious to see.  

I'm as big a SW fan as any here, but:

tumblr_n35xlcaazu1s5pkz8o3_250.gif

As much as it might be fun to see, mind. :lol:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Well I applaud your optimism. I just don’t think the demand or hype is there for a 200m 4 day OW. Also I’m not sure why you would use BP as a comparison and not Rogue One. I’m expecting a similar opening to that with worse legs. 

19 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Well I applaud your optimism. I just don’t think the demand or hype is there for a 200m 4 day OW. Also I’m not sure why you would use BP as a comparison and not Rogue One. I’m expecting a similar opening to that with worse legs. 

RO opened 3 day we and Solo will be a 4 day we. 

Initially i thought it would be a 165 4 day, before the trailer and before DP2 moved. Then, with three weekends + weeks from Solo to TI2, i feel it as a free highspeed highway for Solo.

6 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Weren't most of you saying about 2.5 months ago that only the Alt-Right and MRA Did not like TLJ? 

Like you claim the moral high ground 2 months after being proven 100% wrong about that fact.

:hahaha:

Where's this 100 percent fact?????

Just because RT says there was NO FOUL doesn't mean it wasn't. 

Do you really think RT is going to come out and say that their rating system can easily be manipulated? 

Anyone who thinks this is going to do $500m is kidding themselves.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Back to Solo

(don't know if it's been posted before but...japanese poster for Solo)

solo.jpeg

Good to see the words "Star Wars" haven't become taboo in all of East Asia.

:sparta:

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

Anyone who thinks this is going to do $500m is kidding themselves.

It will be tough, but it might be able to manage if the Ranger Solo rebranding gets some Chinese interest back. I have faith it can hit the half a billion mark. Maybe sit nicely between Rio 2 and The Boss Baby on the all time chart. 

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It will be tough, but it might be able to manage if the Ranger Solo rebranding gets some Chinese interest back. I have faith it can hit the half a billion mark. Maybe sit nicely between Rio 2 and The Boss Baby on the all time chart. 

I was talking domestically. It won't touch $500m OS either. Not by a long shot.

I think OS this might go under 400m actually.

• Like 1

I think the reason why the box office will decline a lot is that in telling the greater Skywalker Saga story, this movie really has no purpose. 

Like Rogue one and an Obi-Wan Story has a big tie into the saga while this seems not so far from what I seen.  

I know SW needs to move from that but I expect drastically reduced box office for future sW films as the Saga of the Skywalkers is what really appeals to the more casual fans of star wars. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The only thing cool on this MESS of a project turns out to be stolen. In fact the whole production is trash.  This is sad!

Screen-Shot-2018-03-03-at-11.41.33-AM-60 

https://mashable.com/2018/03/03/disney-solo-posters-uh-oh/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+(Mashable)&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed#Rb5asGz0vOqj

• Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

28 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

The only thing cool on this MESS of a project turns out to be stolen.

Graphic designer Adam Levermore (quoted above) points out that it's entirely possible Disney approached Sony for this design and that neither company notified Bahous – nor would they necessarily be required to.

Let's hold off on the word 'stolen' until we get more info, no?

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let's hold off on the word 'stolen' until we get more info, no?

Mashable overstated Adam's point more than a bit as it turns out:

Still, I will hold off complete judgement until I get some more info, as this wouldn't be the first time a story got out without all the facts.  Even so, ain't a good look at all for Disney here.

edit

And now Manabyte chimes in with this side point:

Disney often will use external companies to produce their promotional material for Lucasfilm and Marvel movies. This is likely the work at someone at one of those contracted outlet, and it’s doubtful they’ll be doing any more work for Disney after this.

Sigh.  And of course, all of this is breaking on the weekend. :rolleyes:

SOMEONE is getting fired over all of this.  Just hope there's a more innocent explanation than immediately appears (including a wayward 3rd party contractor).

Edited by Porthos

Remember that time something positive happened with Solo's marketing?

Lol, me neither. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1