CJohn

Solo: A Star Wars Story | May 25, 2018 | Bombs in spectacular fashion

Lmao y'all will be disappointed when you see the scores, I think. People who are already fans of a thing are often way more lenient. And if a premiere full of fanboys doesn't have rabidly positive social media reactions, it's usually a sign that people who aren't fans will be pretty unimpressed. 

I mean look at agents of SHIELD season 5. It's a noticeable decline in storytelling from season 4 but many fans act like the show "gets better and better." Yeah I guess that's why viewership keeps falling an falling... For the record I liked seasons 2-4 a lot and am still a fan of the show. But from what I've seen, fandoms are not good places for honest critique of a franchise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

Lmao y'all will be disappointed when you see the scores, I think. People who are already fans of a thing are often way more lenient. And if a premiere full of fanboys doesn't have rabidly positive social media reactions, it's usually a sign that people who aren't fans will be pretty unimpressed. 

I mean look at agents of SHIELD season 5. It's a noticeable decline in storytelling from season 4 but many fans act like the show "gets better and better." Yeah I guess that's why viewership keeps falling an falling... For the record I liked seasons 2-4 a lot and am still a fan of the show. But from what I've seen, fandoms are not good places for honest critique of a franchise. 

See the source image

1 hour ago, arlo said:

Cheers to this critic:

Can you really be a true fan if you like the prequels? Even Rogue One is pushing it.

(Half-kidding.)

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Can you really be a true fan if you like the prequels? Even Rogue One is pushing it.

(Half-kidding.)

I agree with the half that's not kidding. :Venom:

• Astonished 1

Best to wait for audience/fanbase reaction after TLJ critical ratings gave us a very false impression of how people would see that movie.

So will Solo fall behind Deadpool previews after all? 

Critics Choice can be helpful, but the thing is, there's not many scores early, so it's missleading.

That 5,5 Score could relust of a 5/10 and a 6/10 and that's it.

If it tells you anything, it's that it probably won't end up getting all raves, but I guess that's expected somehow.

Even the greatest Movie in the world is a tougher sell, if it opened only 5 months after the last hyped movie of a franchise. 

Star Wars is the Thanksgiving Dinner of the year. 

Great reviews ofter result out of hype. 

If you are hyped, you are willing to oversee little flaws, because of the overall feeling, when you get out of the theater after a good film.

2 hours ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

Except that agents of SHIELD is getting better season by season, including season 5, and that its ratings are dropping because it moved to an unfavourable slot and hasnt been promoted much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

When, exactly, did giving a shit about Critics Choice become a thing, anyway?  Cause I sure don't remember people talking about it before Infinity War.

(Message brought to you by "I don't give a shit about Critics Choice")

It's always been a thing when RT embargo is still up but people have seen the movie already. The IW score meant nothing cause no one had seen the movie in its entirety but when you have nothing else to go on..

Edited by Rebeccas

5 minutes ago, LouderThanYou said:

At what hour does the review embargo end?

A little over 6 hours from now

• Thanks 1

Overseas this is pretty much reliant on UK, France, Germany, Japan, Australia and NZ and a few other European Markets to make money.

The film will likely fall 50 million from Rogue One in China alone.  

I have the feeling that fans are going to dig this one. It has been made pretty clear that score aggregators mean next to nothing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LouderThanYou said:

I have the feeling that fans are going to dig this one. It has been made pretty clear that score aggregators mean next to nothing.

And Solo will get good reviews anyway. :Venom:

2 hours ago, LouderThanYou said:

The issue is to get Casual SW fans in theatres to actually watch this. 

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

(Half-kidding.)

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

I agree with the half that's not kidding. :Venom:

Me, after nearly 20 years of gratuitous prequel bashing, when someone casually suggests that Real Star Wars Fans should hate the prequels:

6q6xMJw.gif 

(The best part is Anakin actually does look at the fucks Obi-Wan doesn't give. :lol:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just kinda curious, what is everyone expecting for previews from this and Deadpool? I’ve just been pulling numbers out of my ass but i was thinking 21 for Solo and 18 for Deadpool

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Just kinda curious, what is everyone expecting for previews from this and Deadpool? I’ve just been pulling numbers out of my ass but i was thinking 21 for Solo and 18 for Deadpool

I’m thinking $ 18-20M for Deadpool and $ 23-25M for Solo

$ 145-155M debut for Deadpool and $ 175-185M for Solo (4-day)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Me, after nearly 20 years of gratuitous prequel bashing, when someone casually suggests that Real Star Wars Fans should hate the prequels:

6q6xMJw.gif 

(The best part is Anakin actually does look at the fucks Obi-Wan doesn't give. :lol:)

The pequels are immanently mockable. But I can't deny my own enjoyment of them. and I've always believe humor and satire work best from a place of love than hate. It's why "real™" SW fans are people aren't very fun people to be around.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Thinking $17m for Deadpool, and $22 to $24m for Solo. Both films should do very well. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1