CJohn

Solo: A Star Wars Story | May 25, 2018 | Bombs in spectacular fashion

Solo would never do well. LF underestimated fans attachment to original actors and younger versions simply didn't have Rami Malek effect. That's all that is on top of Han Solo not needing a prequel story that overexplains his origins. 

It was a mix of unrealisticly high expectations combined with the heavily inflated budget.

A Solo film that had a say 150m budget that had done 250-300 domestic with a 50/50 OS split would have been fine.

But yeah, did not turn out that way. Shame too, since it's a quite enjoyable adventure.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

It was a mix of unrealisticly high expectations combined with the heavily inflated budget.

A Solo film that had a say 150m budget that had done 250-300 domestic with a 50/50 OS split would have been fine.

But yeah, did not turn out that way. Shame too, since it's a quite enjoyable adventure.

Solo had it's moments, but for me it most of it was "Meh". First SW film I did not buy for my DvD/Bluray collection.

And that GOT joke ("I learned it from Dragons" was a real groaner.Totally misfired.

I admit, I wonder about what the Lord Miller version would have been like.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I would say having to reshoot most of the film ,which seems to have almost doubled it's cost, was what doomed it.

If it had kept to it's original budget, it would have turned a profit. Not a huge one, certainly not what Disney was used to seeing from an SW movie,but it would not have racked up the substantial losses it did.

And we might not ever know a final answer to the big question: If Disney did not like what they were getting from Lord and Miller, why did they wait until filming was almost complete before firing them?

More than that, a prequel spinoff like Solo would have benefited more if directors like Lord/Miller had been allowed to do their vision.

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So it's estimated it lost $77mil for Disney in the end.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/box-office-bombs-2018-solo-a-star-wars-story-mortal-engines-wrinkle-in-time-robin-hood-nutcracker-1202591271/

Just a whole other level of failure for a massive popular franchise film. 

bet that number is lowballed big time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Good movie.

This. Too bad it bombed, but we all know the reasons why. I'm just content that I enjoyed it. I guarantee that's the lowest Star Wars will go. Mark my words.

Related:

(Person in charge of social media for Star Wars)

• Like 1

Not in the mood today for such introspection, but I'll file it away for when I am in the mood.  But I did figure some folks here might be interested in such Inside Baseball talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not in the mood today for such introspection, but I'll file it away for when I am in the mood.  But I did figure some folks here might be interested in such Inside Baseball talk.

As expected @Blankments was shook when he realized L&M didn't hide away in a cave and devote all energy to destroying Howard

• Haha 2

from that same podcast above, seeing a bunch of clickbait articles , Ron blaming trolls

Ron Howard Blames Internet Trolls For Solo: A Star Wars Story Bombing

Among other things, the filmmaker pointed to internet trolls as one of the reasons Solo didn’t take off like it should’ve, saying the following on the Happy Sad Confused podcast:

“So whatever millions (Solo) made worldwide, those were the core fans, but it didn’t hit that zeitgeist point, for whatever reason. Timing, young Han Solo, pushback from the previous movie, which I kept hearing was maybe something. And some trolling, definitely some trolling. Some actual aggressive… It was pretty interesting. Not so much, a little bit the Twitter feed, yes, but it was especially noticeable prior to the release of the movie. Several of the algorithms, whether it was Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes, there was an inordinate push down on the ‘want to see’ and on the fan voting. And when you look at it, it’s like 3, 4, 5 — or whatever the rating is, I forget what the rating is on Rotten Tomatoes, whether it’s a scale of 1-5 or 1-10 — but pretty high, and then a series of 0s or .5s or 1s.”

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ron-howard-blames-internet-trolls-solo-star-wars-story-bombing/

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, JB33 said:

This. Too bad it bombed, but we all know the reasons why. I'm just content that I enjoyed it. I guarantee that's the lowest Star Wars will go. Mark my words.

Lol it could go much lower. Imagine if they made a Boba Fett movie now.

Should have released Dec 2018. Probably would have still lost money but would have done better I think. 

• Like 1

"It's Jeremy Conrad, so what?" I hear you say.  Fair enuf, though I think his record is better than many give him credit for.

Well then, how about the person who broke the Obi-Wan news?

THIS IS NOT, I REPEAT N-O-T, CONFIRMATION FROM JORDAN MAISON.

What this is though is a hell of a lot of chatter of some sort of Crimson Dawn/Qi'ra/Maul show being in the works.  It's been the subject of low-key, and at times not so low-key, whispering for months now.

What I suspect is gonna happen is once TROS does what TROS does, Disney is gonna open the faucet on D+ news regarding SW TV shows.  Especially if reaction to The Mandalorian is as good as it might be.

• Like 3

I’m been assuming for like a year that they would:  

probably expand on the Qi’ra Maul stuff  

probably not do so theatrically       

I’ll watch it, some of my favorites parts of Solo.

• Like 4

An under appreciated film frankly. 

This and TLJ are fun films that the ever growing anal SW crazy section of its fandom shit on for reasons I don't wholly support.

• Like 1