CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

940M WW OS without Japan is a done deal

it will depends of Japan and it's curious BO mentality after that to reach 1B WW OS lol.

but oh well, by end of july the movie will be already 3th all time WW+OS Dom behind Avatar and Titanic so...

• Like 1

Nope. I understood

You were saying IO would drop 40-45% no matter what it was up against this weekend.

I was just pointing out that it would have held better if Minions wasn't the big opener this weekend. It did $20-21m in weekdays, so a smaller opener (sub-$75m) would have allowed $21-22m for it and JW

a $55-60m opener that has slight crossover (Ant-Man, Pixels) wouldn't hurt IO as much as a $115-120m opener that's direct competition (Minions)

Just common sense.

Well, sure, but if Inception is considered a noteworthy hit to TS3, then Ant-Man is certainly a noteworthy hit to IO. Sure its less of a hit than Minions, but this is July. EVERY weekend has something major scheduled. So theres going to be ferocious new competition every Thursday. Projecting how much IO would have done in a world where Minions opened in August is only marginally less silly than Baumer's summer of JW hypothetical, because nothing exists in a vacuum. If Minions opened later, something else would have moved up into its place and since we only get one shot at things we can't be very exact about the impact of different competition.

• Like 1

That's all JW did overseas this weekend? I was hoping it would be at $1.5B today...oh well. $1B is off the table, it'll only do $25M-$30M in Japan.

I think it's great considering it just lost China which was pulling in 1/4 of its overall OS take last weekend.

If you were expecting it to be at 1.5, then maybe your expectations were a bit unrealistic, because that's 34m above where it is... no way that was going to happen this weekend.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

Still not a record :ph34r:

It doesn't have to be a record! It's a smash hit with a very good chance of 1 billion WW!

Second best opener of all time!

Only non Disney film to ever to do so.

Edited by MinaTakla

That's all JW did overseas this weekend? I was hoping it would be at $1.5B today...oh well. $1B is off the table, it'll only do $25M-$30M in Japan.

FF7 (and maaaaaybe SW7) will be the only movie(s) to gross over $1 billion OS this year.

Just to put it in context... Based on the estimates, JW did around 21m OS this weeknd.

Last weekend, while it still had China (9.4m), it did 42m. So it did 32.6 OS-C last weekend.

That means it was down around 35.5% from last weekend excluding China.

Personally, I think it could still reach 1B OS, but I honestly don't really care. We're in gravy zone, it feels silly to bemoan this when it's gonna make 1.6B worldwide and be number 3 all time.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 3

Just to put it in context... Based on the estimates, JW did around 21m OS this weeknd.

Last weekend, while it still had China (9.4m), it did 42m. So it did 32.6 OS-C last weekend.

Personally, I think it could still reach 1B OS, but I honestly don't really care. We're in gravy zone, it feels silly to bemoan this when it's gonna make 1.6B worldwide and be number 3 all time.

Mmmmm... Gravy Zone..Mmm_-_Homer_Simpson.gif

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1

And it could still possibly sink Titanic domestically, though that seems a bit more unlikely now than last week.