Kalo

Top 10 films 1965, 75, 85, 95, 05, and 2015. All Countdowns Complete!

I haven't seen either, but I wonder what more people would like to see, spend  an hour and half watching a nice popcorn, bombastic over the top action flick. or spend 9 hours of their lives watching recounts of survivors of one of the most depressing horrific experiences in the history of mankind. 

• Like 1

#8 of 1985 After Hours - 22 Points 

large_qpr5tRmvyx4rbv1gKMKbW1v5JUC.jpg

After Hours is dazzling movie making; you could get a giddy kick just from cinematographer Michael Ballhaus' shot as a set of house keys floats down toward the camera, tossed from a top-floor apartment.- Sheila Benson, Los Angeles Times. 

Storyline: An ordinary word processor has the worst night of his life after he agrees to visit a girl in Soho whom he met that evening at a coffee shop.

after-hours-1985-2895-870003013.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes Critic approval rating 90% average of 7.7

IMDB rating: 7.7

1e12f581d38c32c4b35a7377dead995a.jpg

Making it's way to #8 on the list is the Martin Scorsese directed black comedy, After Hours. starring Rosanna Arquette, Griffin Dunne, Linda Fiorentino, Teri Garr, and John Heard. in it's theatrical release the film only made $10m, and wasn't loved by audiences initially, though critics did receive it a bit more favorable, eventually however, it was thought of has an underrated Scorsese film and is today considered a cult classic.

after-hours-1985-07-g.jpg

*in 1986 the film was nominated for a golden globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical Griffin Dunne.

• Like 2

#7 of 1985 Rocky IV - 23 Points

rocky4f.jpg

Sylvester Stallone is really sloughing it off shamelessly in Rocky IV, but it's still impossible not to root for old Rocky Balboa to get up off the canvas and whup that bully one more time.- Variety 

Storyline: After iron man Drago, a highly intimidating 6-foot-5, 261-pound Soviet athlete, kills Apollo Creed in an exhibition match, Rocky comes to the heart of Russia for 15 pile-driving boxing rounds of revenge. -IMDB

wonder_lick_RockyIV.gif

Rotten Tomatoes Critic approval rating 38% average of 4.8

IMDB rating: 6.7

tumblr_mjiljzL1qf1s69vrqo1_500.gif

Coming in at #7 is the 4th in the boxing series, starring mahco man himself 

Sylvester Stallone, and while critics didn't love it, mostly citing it for hitting the same beats as the first three in the series and adding little to the overall story. audiences seemed to eat it up Grossing $300m worldwide it is the most finally successful film in the series and was the highest grossing sports film of all time for 24 years. until it was unseated by The Blindside in 2009. 

RockytrainsinSyberia2RockyIV.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lb3MTlIrC4

• Like 2

#6 of 1985 The Goonies - 29 Points

goonies.jpg

The Goonies is a smooth mixture of the usual ingredients from Steven Spielberg action movies, made special because of the high-energy performances of the kids who have the adventures.-Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times.

Storyline: In order to save their home from foreclosure, a group of misfits set out to find a pirate's ancient treasure.

200_s.gif

Rotten Tomatoes Critic approval rating 69% average of 6.1

IMDB rating: 7.8

1-the-goonies-quotes.gif

Making it's way to #6 is the quintessential 80s children's adventure classic, The Goonies, a story conceived by Steven Spielberg himself and a screenplay by potter directed Chris Columbus, and directed by Superman director Richard Donner. The Goonies is a must watch for all ages. the film received mildly positive reviews by critics, but general movie audiences and is today considered a classic of the genre.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

For a second, I thought I was in Tree's "funniest movies ever" thread, and I was all "Oh, that's kinda a clever, goofy choice" and then I realized.

I like Rocky IV  :ph34r:

#5 of 1985 The Breakfast Club - 37 Points 

Breakfast-Club-movie-poster.jpg

Rarely have on-screen teens felt this authentic. They bluster, bicker and trade horrible insults (whence the film's R rating), then suddenly expose their most guarded feelings.- Rafer Guzman, Newsday.

Storyline: Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought. -IMDB.

giphy.gif

Rotten Tomatoes Critic approval rating 89% average of 7.6

IMDB rating: 7.9

tumblr_n28brfDArv1sx5ot3o1_500.gif

Making it's way to the top 5, is the John Hughes written and directed high-school dramedy, starring  Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald, Paul Gleason, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and John Kapelos. made on the small budget of $1m, the film was a major success grossing over $50m. the film received critical acclaimed, and is today considered one of the best films ever about high school. as well as one of Hughes most memorable works. 

giphy.gif

* The Breakfast Club's title comes from the nickname invented by students and staff for morning detention at New Trier High School, the school attended by the son of one of John Hughes' friends. Thus, those who were sent to detention before school starting time were designated members of "The Breakfast Club".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kGV1-efddo

*The film was digitally remastered and was re-screened throughout 430 theaters in celebration of its 30th anniversary in 2015

Edited by Kalo

The Goonies seemed barely above average to me when I saw it as a teen a few years ago. Can sorta kinda see where the nostalgia comes from, but eh. 

It was cool to see Samwise and Llewelyn Moss so young though.

I'd have to agree, it was alright but nothing special if you asked me.