#ED

Monday Actuals: Minions 12.9M (-58%)

I have a feeling Paper Towns will overperform next weekend. It seems to be building steam at just the right time and has a very dedicated fanbase.

it should do normal numbers but nothing huge. I think I heard that there's a concert series promoting this.

To be fair, Minions opened in more countries than IO.

And IO has been holding much better than Minions in Australia.

To be fair, Minions is like a sequel to a movie that made $600m overseas so that comparison is ludicrous...
  • Like 1

What? Maybe it is plain boring to you, you ever think of that?As for well received by the audience, are you kiddin me? Minions already made more than IO WW, it had incredible drops or openings everywhere. You are the only blind person here. And yeah, it will beat IO DOM. Get over it. The better movie wins.

It will not beat IO DOM. Inside Out will win and this has been my feeling before even the Summer.

So it looks like IO is either going to be Pixar's #3 or #2 DOM first run, #3 DOM with re-releases included, either their #2 or #1 original DOM, #2 original DOM with re-releases included, something like their #6 or #7 highest attended DOM (not sure if it would actually beat The Incredibles even at its best potential finish, the BOM adjusted number probably doesn't account enough for premiums?), #4 or #5 highest attended original DOM (again, depending which side of TI's admissions it actually falls on), and their highest-attended original in 11 years.

Read that again - if it sells more tickets than Up, it will be Pixar's most attended original since The Incredibles. Heck, depending on whether you count Frozen as "original", this could end up being the highest-attended animated original, PERIOD, since The Incredibles, as well as the highest-attended original DOM post-Avatar (surpassing Inception). With the deluge of CG animation since 2004, and the increase in sequels/franchises, this is amazing.

IO had tough competition with JW and for this now pass $300M this Saturday with still much more to come is amazing.

thats pretty good too, but with that domestic total I was thinking around 95-100 million with that 45 OW.

Twilight legs is what I'm thinking since it doesn't look like it will cross over from it's target audience, but they will show up on OW.

The theory that IO may could pass the Minions Total DOM is beyond great! IO has shown phenomenal legs as that flick still doing well after the nuclear disaster of the banana's 115m-opener. I think the Minions take crown by total of about 350m-360m, they will be close. For me, going beyond Up's adjusted 330m DOM the goal right now!

Your logic has no legs to stand on. IO is hitting 350m with ease, it's gonna have amazing holds from now on and from week 3 Minions will fall behind it on the day to day basis and while IO has August for late legs, Minions can't compete with those in September. Unless Minions pulls a miraculous 65m second weekend this is a done deal, IO wins.

Just got back from Baahubali.  Holy shit!!  For my first Indian movie, it was quite the experience.  It's unlike any film I've ever seen.  It has elements of Star Wars, Indy, The Bible, Matrix, 300, Braveheart and LOTR to name a few.  I loved the hell out of it and i left the theater with a big grin ion my face.  This was only the Beginning.  The conclusion comes out next year.  If I was to rate it, 9/10.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from Baahubali. Holy shit!! For my first Indian movie, it was quite the experience. It's unlike any film I've ever seen. It has elements of Star Wars, Indy, The Bible, Matrix, 300, Braveheart and LOTR to name a few. I loved the hell out of it and i left the theater with a big grin ion my face. This was only the Beginning. The conclusion comes out next year. If I was to rate it, 9/10.

I'm watching it this weekend. But Indian movies are normally that way, a mash up of genres to appeal to nearly everyone. For further escapist entertainment I would recommend the Dhoom trilogy. Or Magadheera for basically a similar style of movie like Bahubali.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Just got back from Baahubali.  Holy shit!!  For my first Indian movie, it was quite the experience.  It's unlike any film I've ever seen.  It has elements of Star Wars, Indy, The Bible, Matrix, 300, Braveheart and LOTR to name a few.  I loved the hell out of it and i left the theater with a big grin ion my face.  This was only the Beginning.  The conclusion comes out next year.  If I was to rate it, 9/10.

I feel like I need to see this one, baumer. Appreciate the endorsement.

• Like 1

The thing about the film is, it's like watching a 1930's pulp film (if that makes sense ) or a grand epic from 80's.  It's one of the most visual films I've ever seen, in fact, I can't think of a film that is visually more impressive than this.  And the director uses every single Hollywood trick in the book, and it works, every single time.  There are several slow motion shots of the hero coming out of the water or the rain and shaking off the wet from his hair.  Mouth agape while the rain or the water flies off in slo mo.  It sounds like it would be cheesy and I guess it is, but it just works here.  Then there's actually shots of muscles bulging and breaking beads and there are feats of strength reserved for a God and so on.  And then at the end of the film (don't worry, there are no spoilers here) there is a speech given by a Queen that explains why she made the decision she did and what separates a soldier from a king.  It might as well have been written by Nolan or Randal Wallace on Tolkien.  It made me want to stand up and cheer.  This is a grand spectacle and it's a film Hollywood used to make and doesn't anymore.  I can't wait for the conclusion.

I'm watching it this weekend. But Indian movies are normally that way, a mash up of genres to appeal to nearly everyone. For further escapist entertainment I would recommend the Dhoom trilogy. Or Magadheera for basically a similar style of movie like Bahubali.

You should pm me your number.  I'm not sure where you are, but if it's feasible and it doesn't cost us to text each other, I'd love to read your thoughts on the movie.