84 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Liked the movie. A good measure of humour, action & connections to the MCU. From some of the comments above I get that things some hate about Marvel are what I personally love. After seeing 1 you're almost guaranteedto leave the theater with good easy feeling. 

Especially loved no city distruction & other stuff that most blockbusters possess now. Lack of big scope - yes but at this point I'm super tired of portals, transformers'-like action etc etc

Rudd is charming, Douglas as usaul had presence, Evi is nice to look at & badass (loved Hope & Scotty training moments :lol: ) Stoll is menacing enough.

& hopefully Janet has a chance to be back!

As a fan of romance I liked how it was subtle & not in your face. Cant wait for more ;) 

• Like 2

Grade: B+

I loved that opening in 1989! It ties together with CA: TWS with the Triskelion under construction. It ties in with MCU lore by including Agent Carter and Howard Stark while also mentioning Janet. That de-aged Michael Douglas was some seamless CGI and made Fox's attempt at it with Stewart&McKellan that much more worse in X3. 

We of course would later get an actual flashback with Pym&Janet inaction in'87. Essentially saying that "superheroes" were around, they were just top secret. Which opens the door for more special ops style hero tales that could be done as period pieces at some point. 

The introduction to Lang, in prison, showing he can fight and more importantly take a punch added to what he'd tell us about his Masters degree in computer engineering. The parallel stories of Scott&Cassie juxtaposed with Pym&Hope I thought were well done and had heart. All the Scott&Cassie ones worked, some of the angst in the Hope&Pym scenes might have been heavy handed but overall well done. 

The comedy relief of the film really fell to "the crew" and they delivered. As a note, they were living in the Milgrom Hotel. That's an easter egg. Al Milgrom was a very influential artist in the Marvel bullpen in the 70's and 80's. He drew Hank in Avengers and West Cost in the early/mid 80's but I digress. Pena as Luis indeed stole every scene he was in hands down. 

My wife really enjoyed the training sequences. Especially when he kept getting nervous and would grow while in the ground, thus sticking out like a man buried in sand at the beach. The closing act of the film got lots of great reactions at my theater. Between the sight gags and written gags that were in the film it seemed my 80% full theater really enjoyed the film. I'd say 90% of the people stayed for that first mid credit sequence. Then only about 15% of us stayed all the way till the very end. 

I'd love for a sequel. A nearly $60m OW isn't nothing to sneeze at, especially given the films budget. Have Pym redeem his company, take on a new mentor. This time perhaps make it Bill Foster who later goes on to become Goliath. The film clearly laid the ground work for how Pym Particles can be used for size enlargement as well. Rescue Janet from the micro verse. If so does she come back at about the same age she disappeared? A line in the film said that time&space were not the same at that level. How would aging work or it be like she just left? 

While the movie borrows quite heavily from Iron Man as an origin film I found the use of the template to work well once again. A few jokes did fall flat but that didn't seem to bother my audience. The prior mentioned ott angst scene with Pym&Hope. While I liked how they played up that a 'head' of Hydra was there to deal with Darren Cross I felt that played out a bit forced. At this point in the MCU getting in bed with Hydra would be like welcoming ISIS into your place...you know full well they are the bad guys now. Darren Cross's character arc was, it seemed, more about being a slighted surrogate son and getting personal type of vengeance. Then he "suddenly" is all, Hydra, no worries, top bidder and all that. Maybe I missed something but those are a few of my negatives. 

• Like 2

A highly entertaining and frequently funny origin story, backed by some well-executed action sequences and a solid ensemble. It isn't particularly ambitious, but that aspect actually made me like it more overall. With the exception of some pacing issues in the opening scenes and a few forced Avengers tie-ins, it is highly efficient in terms of structure, providing just enough detail to develop the mythology of the character and keep the audience engaged (especially for a film that lacks the 2 hour+ running time typical of most recent Marvel films.) 

8/10 

• Like 1

Finally saw it with gf.

"Meh".    Didn't hate it, didn't love it.    I just watched Spy a couple of days ago so that may have had some effect on me since that one made my ribs hurt from laughing.   AM was funny....but not hilarious as I was expecting.   I thought Pena was going to slay me....not really.   Not as rushed a feeling as AoU, but there were still times when I wished things were fleshed out a bit more.   Good overall story.   Good FX.   Worth seeing once.   My favorite part was the post-credits scene honestly.   I can see the value of this because adding him to Avengers will add something different to the "punch people in the face" thing.    The ants were cute.

A generous 7/10

• Like 1

Ant-Man perfectly acceptable entertainment. There are plenty of laughs that land well, the cast is solid and the action is inventive. But one can hear all the contrasting voices that are influencing the script as it zips from one style or tone to the next, and the Avengers reference/s though marginally humorous were completely unnecessary. Also, Judy Greer is wasted on a dog shit role once more. She's better than what Hollywood continues to offer her time after time. At times it does come off as an Edgar Wright imitation, which I imagine was unavoidable, but the final result as a whole is still good-enough.

In all Ant-Man is far better than it's torturous production history would have one believe though ultimately unmemorable. 

3/5 

lol at all the "generic/B-grade/run-of-the-mill/lower tier" etc nonsense.

This shits over your precious Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron. 

Ridiculous how sheep minded people are with these movies.

• Community Manager

The movie is fine. It's an entertaining heist movie, or at least as much as a movie that follows the Marvel formula to the T can be a heist movie. The formula really needs to be retired or retooled for Phase 3.

Overall, I had fun and I'd watch the sequel OW but I wouldn't care if we never get one.

B

• Like 3

So Ant Man beat my expectations. The smaller acale was nice, felt very IM1-ish. Rudd was a delight, Lilly, Douglas, Peña, Stoll, the little girl, all worked well on the screen.

All the Avengers shoehorning was a tad annoying, though the Ant Man/Falcon fight was good. The tone also bothered me. I never got too serious, but it got too jokey to the point where it was feeling like another movie. Peña was funny, but they dragged his bits on a little too much. I know thats Marvels MO, but I'd prefer more subtle ans quicker jokes, like Rudd was doing and even Stoll did, rather than extended comedy gags. The cinemarography during the fight/flying/shrinking scenes was very well done, but outside of that it looked pretty standard, pretty TV-ish.

But the small scale and action was very well done, clever, and innovative. It wasnt a bunch of explosions and robot/alien/whatever fodder. The use of the briefcase, Siri, bathtub, turntable, trainset, etc...very fresh. Oh and the ants! Loved those little guys.

Good job Marvel. Too bad the small scale days are probably over for a while and we're headed back to explosions and major Avengers shoehorning.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

The cinematography was TV-ish? That's a silly comment to make especially since modern TV cinematography tends to be cinematic in nature. Shows like Hannibal and House of Cards also show that even great cinematography can be TV-ish. There really is no difference anymore in terms of how the camera is framed. The big difference now isn't style but production value.

i watched antman last night for the 2nd time  its really is a sweet little nugget  of a movie , we're so use to super heroes where everything is exaggerated and the stakes are high universal / galaxy scale so its a nice change of pace a super hero on a more human scale, where yes sure the avengers are battling aliens but the people on the ground are still going about their lives , and regular people can also become heroes with or without a suit 

seriously michael pena HILARIOUS crowd loves him , paul rudd is just  GORGEOUS and funny and normal ...

• Like 2