grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What was the last film with really dreadful trailers that everyone was sure would be a mess with critics that turned out fresh? 

I don't know about trailers, but there wasn't there a lot of bad buzz over Wonder Woman? I was away from the board at the time, so I don't know for sure.  I know about the infamous fights here over buzz, though.

It's still very early but if critics give this a good grade overall and it gets good reception from the audience, maybe it can be a 2019 version of Wonder Woman (or as said above, Jumanji)?  It'll only have one week of PLF which is less than ideal.  But it shouldn't have much competition in its demo lane until Toy Story 4, which is late-ish June.

The 4day makes legs analysis kinda spotty, but maybe it can have a nice decent run if the audience warms to it. 

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

nah. this will have a big OW.   and i think legs will be great too. there's not much competition and the film seems to be very good.

i mean, anemic for disney. with the name awareness, aladdin should be doing BATB numbers easy.

8 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

i mean, anemic for disney. with the name awareness, aladdin should be doing BATB numbers easy.

That's... I think that's a bit much, personally.  Let's not forget that the number of films to do more than BatB on OW is exactly ten. T-E-N.

Okay, I'm not adjusting here (though if I do adjust it's still only 15 filmsEVER).  But I think we should remember that getting more than 175m on OW is HARD. Don't let the recent success of Marvel and (some) Star Wars make one forget that.

Now if Disney had played all of their cards right from the very beginning (and I mean starting over a year or two ago), I could see ballpark 150 OW 3day as being a reasonable-ish expectation.  Maybe.  Or shift it down to 135 3day OW.  I could see arguments on that.

But "BatB numbers easy"? 

I just think we are becoming a bit too blasé about mega openers and we probably shouldn't.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Same, Nova, same.

The movie ends up being good but they put together a laughable first trailer. The movie ends up being good but they give it a questionable embargo date. The movie ends up being good but they do nothing to show that it’s actually good/convince people who are skeptical about it that it’s good. 

Like imagine the type of presales this could be having during release week had they dropped the embargo sooner and the movie had a fresh label next to it. This SHOULD be rivaling BATB at the box office. I mean who knows it could since it hasn’t opened yet but I’m saying it should be more obvious that it will. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

Just got back from watching the movie, they had 6.30pm and 8.30pm showing in NZ, I watched the earlier session. 

I had had a great time as did my audience, the movie has a lot of charm. Jasmine, Aladdin and Genie are all great casting and their chemistry also works fantastic. Jafar was not the greatest but better than the trailers. Humour is great, music is great, suprised how much action there was, VFX were great (though blue Genie may still not work for some). I really believe Disney messed up with the footage they used in the trailers, they had a lot of better footage although maybe they didn’t have VFX ready. So that’s the good news. 

Bad news is the theatre was only about 1/4 full (slightly female skewing, mostly couples and one family were the little girl was dressed as Jasmine which was very adorable), to be fair on a Wednesday night but still gave me Solo vibes were the other three SW midnights were sold out then I rocked up to Solo and is was only half full (and those were the big fans). I just don’t know if the audience wants to accept this film; but hopefully the word of mouth gets out there because this in my opinion was top tier Disney live action remakes up there with Jungle Book as my top two.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Just got back from watching the movie, they had 6.30pm and 8.30pm showing in NZ, I watched the earlier session. 

I had had a great time as did my audience, the movie has a lot of charm. Jasmine, Aladdin and Genie are all great casting and their chemistry also works fantastic. Jafar was not the greatest but better than the trailers. Humour is great, music is great, suprised how much action there was, VFX were great (though blue Genie may still not work for some). I really believe Disney messed up with the footage they used in the trailers, they had a lot of better footage although maybe they didn’t have VFX ready. So that’s the good news. 

Bad news is the theatre was only about 1/4 full (slightly female skewing, mostly couples and one family were the little girl was dressed as Jasmine which was very adorable), to be fair on a Wednesday night but still gave me Solo vibes were the other three SW midnights were sold out then I rocked up to Solo and is was only half full (and those were the big fans). I just don’t know if the audience wants to accept this film; but hopefully the word of mouth gets out there because this in my opinion was top tier Disney live action remakes up there with Jungle Book as my top two.

Where did you see it? Regular theatre or IMAX? I was looking at the tickets sold tonight as well and it definitely didn't seen to be packed anywhere but I only usually look at that kind of thing for CBMs so I can't really compare since there's always a rush for those. And lol, I can't believe they bothered having Solo midnight showings here, they were ridiculously empty when I looked at them. What a waste of time.

Fingers crossed it does well during the weekend, I'll be catching it in IMAX and it sounds like there'll be a decent amount of action to appreciate there. Hearing the songs there is also a big draw for me, it's a shame it's only getting one week in IMAX. Thanks for your thoughts, it seems like people are enjoying it and that's cute there was a kid there dressed as Jasmine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gamora said:

Where did you see it? Regular theatre or IMAX? I was looking at the tickets sold tonight as well and it definitely didn't seen to be packed anywhere but I only usually look at that kind of thing for CBMs so I can't really compare since there's always a rush for those. And lol, I can't believe they bothered having Solo midnight showings here, they were ridiculously empty when I looked at them. What a waste of time.

Fingers crossed it does well during the weekend, I'll be catching it in IMAX and it sounds like there'll be a decent amount of action to appreciate there. Hearing the songs there is also a big draw for me, it's a shame it's only getting one week in IMAX. Thanks for your thoughts, it seems like people are enjoying it and that's cute there was a kid there dressed as Jasmine.

Regular theatre in Albany, the Gold Class was sold out which it is for most movies but that should have given it a little boost anyway. Didn’t look at how it did in IMAX but I think I would have loved it even more in that format, way more visually appealing than I was expecting. 

I love Star Wars so I’ll always go to the midnights but I kinda agree Solo just kinda fizzled out and probably didn’t need a big midnight push would be like putting Ant-Man in as many theatres as Endgame just because they are both in the MCU. 

Hope you enjoy the movie :).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Nova said:

If this movie ends up with rave reviews, I'm forever going to question Disney's handling of this film. 

I know you mean GA, but personally 1. _best_ trailers (lotr:fotr, inception, tdk)~95% great movie... and i dont mean rousing OST background like suicide squad trailer... i mean actual footage/tone...

2. amazing trailers (TFA, godzilla, lotr:ttt, lotr:rotk) ~ 70% great movie

3. The rest is a coin toss.. 

4. Aladdin(?)

Why disney? I mean i might give you a pass, but the chronological order and timing of aladdin marketing was way off... on top of it all.. it should have been released in 2020... i REALLY think that is THE biggest issue here... and jafar casting ofc... there.. my sig goes down.. but its SOOO ugly now.. it is hurting my eyes:/ xD 

TTVOMJ

10 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Regular theatre in Albany, the Gold Class was sold out which it is for most movies but that should have given it a little boost anyway. Didn’t look at how it did in IMAX but I think I would have loved it even more in that format, way more visually appealing than I was expecting. 

I love Star Wars so I’ll always go to the midnights but I kinda agree Solo just kinda fizzled out and probably didn’t need a big midnight push would be like putting Ant-Man in as many theatres as Endgame just because they are both in the MCU. 

Hope you enjoy the movie :).

I had a look at the IMAX session and it had sold about a third of the seats which I feel is decent? I did notice the Albany GC was sold out so that's cool. Speaking of which, thank god after Event updated their website they put back the ability to view the seat plan without having to go through the ticket-buying process. It disappeared for a few days and I was pissed but it's back now. It's just so handy to be able to look at how sessions are doing quickly.

I love SW as well, been to all the other films' midnight IMAX sessions but Solo was like, eh. It didn't help it was in May as well as opposed to December when I have time off work to go to midnights, but I did still see it opening night and it was fine. Not amazing but not terrible either.

• Like 1