grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Since when??? There are at least a dozen Disney IPs that spring to mind as being huge in Japan before Aladdin. The Japanese's love for Disney IPs like Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Lilo and Stitch, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc is well known and evident. But I've never heard of  Aladdin being a particularly big one there. I mean, it doesn't even have a real presence at the Tokyo theme parks, which says a lot. 

Uh, there's a whole Agrabah section in DisneySea rofl

Atlantica and Agrabah are two of the most prominent attractions there.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Beast had a $7M OW and legged it to $100M in Japan, now that was during a major Spring Holiday but we have analysts from Japan who think the $45M-$90M is very likely for Aladdin as well as the Lion King. I suspect it’ll be more towards the latter as musicals seem to be thriving there and the fact that Aladdin is the biggest Disney renaissance film there. I’m probably going to guess in the middle and say $60M-$65M for Japan. I am just talking about one market not all of them.

I expect Aladdin to do about half of what Beast did in the states and probably in the $500M range OS.

$10 million OW and $111 million total actually, but I agree with your post. Assuming it is mostly faithful to the original animated film, Aladdin grossing at least half of BatB in Japan should be no problem. 

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Dumbo was never going to make as much as Aladdin and we always knew Aladdin's market is OS. I think it'll do well dom (AHNW + Will) but OS is where it could explode. 

So we could expect a POTC 4-5 scenario, where Aladdin get 240M dom (like POTC4), but goes gangbusters os with 600-800M (which is the range POTC4 and POTC5 had). 

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Aladdin doing $100M in Japan, LOL okay. IW couldn't even do that. You'll be lucky to even get $35-50

Superhero movies in Japan are not "big business", except for SpiderMan original trilogy. After those, come Avengers movies with 45-26-24-33M for all 4 Avengers movies. I'd swear most live-action-fairy-tales-disney movies are over 45M The Avengers made in Japan. 

TA 45M

AOU 26M

CA CW 24M

IW 33M

Beauty 110M 

TJB 23M

AIW 133M

Maleficent 63M

Cinderella 47M

Alice2 26M

I bet Aladdin and TLK will easily be over EG in Japan, even doubling de numbers. 

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Since when??? There are at least a dozen Disney IPs that spring to mind as being huge in Japan before Aladdin. The Japanese's love for Disney IPs like Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Lilo and Stitch, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc is well known and evident. But I've never heard of  Aladdin being a particularly big one there. I mean, it doesn't even have a real presence at the Tokyo theme parks, which says a lot. 

Sounds like someone has never been to the actual theme park lol. 

18 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

So we could expect a POTC 4-5 scenario, where Aladdin get 240M dom (like POTC4), but goes gangbusters os with 600-800M (which is the range POTC4 and POTC5 had). 

Good comparison cause Genie is the original "CJS" character that helps the young couple. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Uh, there's a whole Agrabah section in DisneySea rofl

Atlantica and Agrabah are two of the most prominent attractions there.

There's a land themed to 1001 Arabian Nights called Arabian Coast. There is no Agrabah, most of the architecture, shops, and restaurants are not themed to Aladdin and the focal point of the land is a Sinbad ride with a fictional tiger sidekick that dominates the merch in the land. Up until recent years, there was very little Aladdin presence in the area, but now there is Dumbo flat ride clone themed to Jasmine's Carpets and a genie show. 

On an aside, does anyone have Aladdin's Japanese box office results?

Edited by MovieMan89

On 3/30/2019 at 5:50 AM, shayhiri said:

Oh, right? There's a BIG point you've missed though. Here's a handy, nifty Shay-chart, to show you da way:

-----------------Pika------Aladdin------Pets2------TS4

Animated:-------NO--------NO---------YES--------YES

Cringy:----------YES--------NO---------NO--------YES

For small kids---YES--------NO---------NO--------YES

My point was that the so called "competition" to Aladdin is either quite different from it, or quite dull - or both. This professional chart clearly shows that Aladdin is the movie that stands out from the crowd. Then why should it get the short end of the stick? :) Prepare for the inevitable Middle-Eastern BO dominance!!

And to think some poor haterz here were claiming Dumbo was gonna make much more than Aladdin...

Edited by shayhiri

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

There's a land themed to 1001 Arabian Nights called Arabian Coast. There is no Agrabah, most of the architecture, shops, and restaurants are not themed to Aladdin and the focal point of the land is a Sinbad ride with a fictional tiger sidekick that dominates the merch in the land. Up until recent years, there was very little Aladdin presence in the area, but now there is Dumbo flat ride clone themed to Jasmine's Carpets and a genie show. 

On an aside, does anyone have Aladdin's Japanese box office results?

It's just arguing semantics as they have repurposed the whole thing to be explicitly Aladdin/Agrabah themed now. 

Also, folks in the Japan thread confirmed Aladdin was the highest grossing Renaissance film in the country.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

Here's to hoping that the BOP tracking goes up in the next few weeks. They seem to be focused on the previous teaser and their "pro's" are much lengthier than the "con's" for the film.

Why on Earth would you care about the predictions?? On the contrary, it's better if they are as minimal AND wrong - as they were with Alita. :) So we can have a good laugh @ them afterwards.

The TV spot is brilliant, hope we soon are drowned in footage from the movie. Aladdin looks glorious!

Edited by shayhiri

2 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Why on Earth do you care about the predictions?? On the contrary, it's better if they are as minimal AND wrong - as they were with Alita. :)So we can have a good laugh afterwards.

PS: The TV spot is brilliant, hope we soon are drowned in footage from the movie. Aladdin looks glorious!

Aladdin happens in the same CU as Prince of Persia.

Jafar indeed looks nothing like the original. AND he looks pathetic and repulsive, LOL at the b!tches that salivated about #SexyJafar early on, wonder how they feel now. :) BUT, just maybe, that look is intentional? Maybe they want to show him visually like the miserable cowardly scheming slimy snake that he is? AND maybe it works in the movie?

You can't have Jason Momoa play everyone. ;) Though, as you can imagine now that I gave you the idea - he would be a SMASHING Jafar.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Maybe they want to show him visually like the miserable cowardly scheming slimy snake that he is? AND maybe it works in the movie?

Like in the original?:Gaga:

42 minutes ago, cookie said:

I'm pretty sure Jafar's whole deal is that he's supposed to be scheming and slimy. Jason Momoa would've been a terrible choice.

Sorry. MY school of making stories (with many published bestsellers and money in the bank already) always had one rule:

1. "Villain" should be better in all ways than the main character. People can't help but admire such villain, and feel torn. Villain should have a single flaw, if any - that brings his downfall. Other than that he should be the best character in the whole story. Not that the other heroes are weak - they are great themselves. But the antagonist should always be better.

That is why most MARVEL stories (and countless others) SUCK - weak villains. And that is why Thanos looks like the big deal for the noobs in the audience - because every Marvel villain before him was a total joke. He is the first that could pass (barely) for a Shay villain.

Free advise from the very well paid professional: if you make stories, always start with your villain. It should be HIS story first and foremost.

So yeah, I could do wonders with a Jason Momoa looking Jafar. ;)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1