grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

YES!!

That's the spirit, people.

I saw the Aladdin trailer first time on big screen (before the embarrassingly disappointing Shazam, whose only good scenes were all already shown in its trailers) - and I can tell you that the Aladdin trailer is all kinds of awesome and glorious, and I'm gonna see the Aladdin movie at least EIGHT times!

And if I ever go to Shazam a second time, it will be just to get another look at the Aladdin trailer. :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

YES!!

That's the spirit, people.

I saw the Aladdin trailer first time on big screen (before the embarrassingly disappointing Shazam, whose only good scenes were all already shown in its trailers) - and I can tell you that the Aladdin trailer is all kinds of awesome and glorious, and I'm gonna see the Aladdin movie at least EIGHT times!

And if I ever go to Shazam a second time, it will be just to get another look at the Aladdin trailer. :)

The only good scenes in the trailer. Are you talking about alita by mistake?

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I think this can avoid the Dumbo drop. It doesn't have much family competition. If it opens big enough, i see good legs

It faces Pets 2 third weekend after a likely rough post holiday drop. Legs aren’t much to hoping for, as that’s the nature of most Memorial Day openers.

That said it’s looking better than it did two months ago as $300M DOM looks a wee bit more likely as both it and Pikachu benefit from weak family films the first 1/3 of the year. The only question do if Disney screws up the rest of the marketing towards release.

I’m going with 

$95M/$125M/$285M/$850M 

OW/4 Day/DOM/WW

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

That said it’s looking better than it did two months ago as $300M DOM looks a wee bit more likely as both it and Pikachu benefit from weak family films the first 1/3 of the year. The only question do if Disney screws up the rest of the marketing towards release.

I’m going with 

$95M/$125M/$285M/$850M 

OW/4 Day/DOM/WW

Well, the month of May has:

Ugly Dolls May 3

Pokemon May 10

A Dog's Journey (a parent pulls the kid movie) May 17

And then Aladdin May 24

It's not exactly an open month for families, and that ignores the Endgame elephant and the possibility of Godzilla being the older child draw the following weekend...Aladdin could easily run into one of the biggest problems Shazam had this weekend - tight theater sets...and unlike with Shazam, they only will get tighter after open with Pets and another super (even a bad one) on the 3rd weekend...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, the month of May has:

Ugly Dolls May 3

Pokemon May 10

A Dog's Journey (a parent pulls the kid movie) May 17

And then Aladdin May 24

It's not exactly an open month for families, and that ignores the Endgame elephant and the possibility of Godzilla being the older child draw the following weekend...Aladdin could easily run into one of the biggest problems Shazam had this weekend - tight theater sets...and unlike with Shazam, they only will get tighter after open with Pets and another super (even a bad one) on the 3rd weekend...

Both Uglydolls and A Dogs Way Home will be lucky to do $50M... each. They are certain family films that are just unappealing. Besides I don’t think Zilla 2 will draw much kids not as much as Endgame or Pikachu maybe.

Aladdin’s main problem is marketing momentum, we’ve seen in the past when Disney juggles three tentpole in a close timeframe, it doesn’t end well for all them, in fact one suffers. I do agree legs are a lost cause due to MDW.

Aladdin will have to see better marketing for Aladdin. Disney Junior is pushing Aladdin BIG TIME and is even featuring Agrabah at Adventureland a LOT in their Disney promos. Dumbo hit a wall in marketing around December or January. After the first full trailer dropped in November, it seemed to drop off a cliff. 

Disney Store will be launching their new Aladdin merchandise next week (or maybe it's this week). They need to keep pushing it. What will be most destructive to it (which almost seems guaranteed) is a low RT score. Maybe it will surprise, but I don't know. If the buzz is already lukewarm, the sheep critics will follow suit. 

16 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Aladdin will have to see better marketing for Aladdin. Disney Junior is pushing Aladdin BIG TIME and is even featuring Agrabah at Adventureland a LOT in their Disney promos. Dumbo hit a wall in marketing around December or January. After the first full trailer dropped in November, it seemed to drop off a cliff. 

Disney Store will be launching their new Aladdin merchandise next week (or maybe it's this week). They need to keep pushing it. What will be most destructive to it (which almost seems guaranteed) is a low RT score. Maybe it will surprise, but I don't know. If the buzz is already lukewarm, the sheep critics will follow suit. 

Agreed marketing and RT score are the most important for this.

While I don’t think $300M is happening, still confident in MU numbers.