grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

45 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

$800M+ WW isn't a small figure:)...it only needs to be good to clean up WW.  I'm assuming there's no chance of the movie being great, so I discounted that.  I also assume there's no chance it's an unwatchable disaster, so that scenario is out, too:)...I'm assuming this will fall in a B to C- range (in my mind:)...or roughly 40-75% fresh ratings on RT.com with a rating between 5-7.

Yeah i agreed... by now i’m expecting 55-65% no RT (with 5.5-6.0 Average).

And on Box office something like $ 220M DOM / $ 750M WW

FWIW @ViewerAnon has heard word that the film is alright (of course he mentioned that on his Twitter months ago, so maybe he learned new information I dunno). Maybe that doesn't translate to amazing reviews, but reception on par with Sherlock Holmes and Beauty and the Beast wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

I just realized this movie releasing during Ramadan. Fasting month 

people usually don’t go to movies during that time 

which is unfortunate cus a lot of my Arabic friends wanted to watch the movie in cinemas 

How long does Ramadan last?

People are so confident in this movie, but I don't see any signs. Pre-sales are weak, and these Disney remakes are a lot more pre-sale heavy than normal family films. Sub-$80m is extreme, but I'd say sub-$200m is pretty much locked?

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

How long does Ramadan last?

A month. It ends June 4

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

People are so confident in this movie, but I don't see any signs. Pre-sales are weak, and these Disney remakes are a lot more pre-sale heavy than normal family films. Sub-$80m is extreme, but I'd say sub-$200m is pretty much locked?

Tickets just went on sale yesterday. Chill.

FWIW it's sold almost as many seats so far for that Friday at my theater as Detective Pikachu has for its first Friday next week. Not bad at all considering it's further away from the Endgame onslaught that is still going on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I've already decided I'm staying out of the Pikachu weekend thread because the ridiculous meltdowns are inevitable.

This was more directed at TMP with the trollish comment of locking down Aladdins DOM based on 1 days of presales.

Pikachu lord knows. If it does over End Game week 3 there will be meltdowns. If it disappoints, it will be an absolute shit show on that thread.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cdsacken said:

This was more directed at TMP with the trollish comment of locking down Aladdins DOM based on 1 days of presales.

Pikachu lord knows. If it does over End Game week 3 there will be meltdowns. If it disappoints, it will be an absolute shit show on that thread.

I susptect that Pikachu will do very well at the box  office, but won't be the massive hit some people are expecting.

I think it's a case that some people are so anxious to jump on The Next Big Thing Bandwagon that they don't really think things through.  In this case, whether or not the gaming phemenon of Pokémon can carry over to a movie. It's not like movies based on games have had a particulary brilliant history. A lot more big flops then hits.

As for Aladdin, the more I see of it, the less I  like it. I will stick with the 1992 original, thank you.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Pikachu comes out in a few days and no one has a lock for it's OW much less dom. so ridiculous

I mentioned this in the tracking thread: all 3 May releases (Pikachu, Wick and Aladdin) are going to be hard to track because of End Game breaking the tracker so the data on there is incomplete for some hours. Aladdin has been selling fine at my theater and checking at other theaters members have posted, I’m seeing the same thing. It hasn’t been out of this world in terms of presales but nothing that’s been making me clutch my pearls either. Of course it has only been one day of presales but imo that one day has been solid. 

Will see where it heads on a weekly basis but its presales thus far don’t indicate that it’s gonna be a flop (or a giant monster either) but we shall see. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alli said:

It will easily be the highest grossing May release. Pika, Godzilla can't compete

Just like how Poppins 2 was easily the highest grossing December release!

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1