grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

If Disney is not expecting a bad critical reaction to this film,they are sure as hell doing a great  impression of a studio that is expected a big release to get slammed by the critics. They are taking all the standard steps.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

They’re trying to get China so I doubt it.

Of course, who knows what the situation will be with China with a full scale trade war going on?

A lot of people in Hollywood are scared to death the American films will be target of retaliation in the trade war.

And I just read that having a Chinses company as a partner might not be much of a protection.

Things are sure as hell not getting any better with the what has happened over the past few days.. climaxing with that 60 Billion in tariffs that China slapped on today in retaliations to Trump's actions Friday.

Edited by dudalb

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

They’re trying to get China so I doubt it.

That movie is going to do bad everywhere else. How is it Disney's Mulan if there's no Shang, no Shan Yu, no Mushu, no songs, Mulan has a random sister, and the villain is a witch. That has bomb written all over it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

That movie is going to do bad everywhere else. How is it Disney's Mulan if there's no Shang, no Shan Yu, no Mushu, no songs, Mulan has a random sister, and the villain is a witch. That has bomb written all over it.

This is just rumours... DisInsider confirm there will be songs and some of these characters 

47 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If Disney is not expecting a bad critical reaction to this film,they are sure as hell doing a great  impression of a studio that is expected a big release to get slammed by the critics. They are taking all the standard steps.

Yup. Anything can happen of course but any other movie with an embargo the Wednesday before release and critics not seeing it until Tuesday before release (according to Alli) the expectation would be it’s not getting a good critical reception. Even if the premiere is the 21st, usually critics see it before the premiere and can share their thoughts via social media to help build buzz leading into the premiere but the fact that everything is so late despite it being screened to international audiences already, is very telling. 

Its not the end all be all of course. And who knows maybe the embargo gets pushed up. Just saying in the past, situations like this rarely end up with positive critical reception. There are exceptions and maybe Aladdin is one of them but I wouldn’t personally bet on it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seth Irskens said:

Sooo does a review embargo lifting day before thursday showings typically means that disney has no faith in this and this going bomb critically? Does that mean our worst fears is a reality?😱

No - only if it's a Marvel movie, or some other Superhero. They always keep the embargo till the last day - and they almost always suck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Top Gun Maverick is gonna be so dope.

Tom is gonna kick the asses of these evil reds !!!

Go Cruise Missile !

Some things never change and I know for a fact Russia has always been and will always be evil.

I read very educated people about this stuff so trust me on this, shit s legit.

You read  _very_ educated people? Wow... whawhawhe wha!!  once i had a child tell me 'murica is bad.... didnt trust that child... he seemed off... i believe you tho!!! you are an adult and we should always trust smart adult people /s xD TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

It could always end up being another Greatest Showman situation where the late embargo doesn't spell total doom (it was embargoed until midnight of opening day pacific time), even though that movie had already been nominated for some Golden Globes the weeks before (then again, they are the Golden Globes).

Greatest Showman also screened for critics like 1-2 weeks before the movie opened. If Aladdin is screening for big name critics on Tuesday the week of release, I'd be skeptical.

Edited by Jay Beezy

I think this will do pretty similar numbers to Pirates 5 DOM and WW ($150-200m DOM / $700-800m WW). Not a disaster but this would have done +$400m DOM and +$1,1b WW in 2020 with a better director and a better cast for some characters (e.g. Jafar). 

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

350 is a diaster like Dumbo.

700 is fine. Could have been 1b sure but it's hopefully it won't be a total failure like Dumbo. Hell I would be thrilled with 700 

Of course 700 would be nice for this movie. It has a $175m budget so it'll actually be a good result but kinda sad that it could have made more with different release date and director. This could have dominated 2020 with how pale next year looks in respect to other years (although I'm really excited about having Pixar and Disney animated originals). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Is this a joke? :o mulan is one of my favorite cartoons next to other disney classics/httyd/iron giant/happy feet .. i mean i will give it a try since i root for all movies to succeed, but this is coming to me as a shocker if they really removed all what you said o.O TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Added cartoon

12 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Guy Ritchie is a good director when he's in his element. It's not so much good vs. bad. It's right vs. wrong. And Guy Ritchie was the wrong choice, IMO.

Just like Burton. Horrible choices back to back.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Well it would have dominated with a good director not a crappy one.

Guy Ritchie is NOT a crappy director;he was just the wrong choice for this film.

I am getting the impression a lot of people have never seen Ritchie's really good crime thrillers from the late 1990's and early 2000's.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Guy Ritchie is NOT a crappy director;he was just the wrong choice for this film.

I am getting the impression a lot of people have never seen Ritchie's really good crime thrillers from the late 1990's and early 2000's.

Those movies were 20 years ago.  Some people don't age like fine wine.  They just rot.

• Haha 1

I just don't understand the Ritchie choice Disney made. Who would have thought "Guy Ritchie" and "Aladdin" would go together. Not to say he will end up doing a bad job, but Disney would have been better off even with someone like Kenny Ortega, who at least has experience with big musical numbers. 

• Like 4