grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I just don't understand the Ritchie choice Disney made. Who would have thought "Guy Ritchie" and "Aladdin" would go together. Not to say he will end up doing a bad job, but Disney would have been better off even with someone like Kenny Ortega, who at least has experience with big musical numbers. 

How dare you belittle the genius behind High School Musical.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

How dare you belittle the genius behind High School Musical.

I'm not, I'm saying he would have made a better choice as director! I guess the only thing is that he has never handled a huge budget before. But then again, neither did the Russos and look where Disney eventually got them to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Guy Ritchie worked for Sherlock because he brought his crime sensibilities to it. Guy Ritchie and crime sensibilities don't mix with properties like King Arthur or Aladdin.

I thought his Sherlock Holmes was just OK; Too much action hero,not enough World's Greatest Detective (though the bit where Holmes explains how he knew the whole curse was phony was nice)  and did not like the sequel at all.

Despite it being set in modern times; the TV series "Sherlock" was much,much, closer to the Conan Doyle originals.

But to me, Jeremy Britt remains the ultimate Holmes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm not, I'm saying he would have made a better choice as director! I guess the only thing is that he has never handled a huge budget before. But then again, neither did the Russos and look where Disney eventually got them to. 

What gets to me is two months before filming on Aladdin began, Rithchie's "King Arthur" opened, and you think Disney would have picked up that Ritchie and Fantasy was not a good mix.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What gets to me is two months before filming on Aladdin began, Rithchie's "King Arthur" opened, and you think Disney would have picked up that Ritchie and Fantasy was not a good mix.

Maybe box office wise, but I had a total blast with Legend of the Sword! Very stylish, and the 3D effects were the best I had ever seen in a regular movie (aka not one of those "special IMAX 3D presentation" things). Only thing I didn't like was how they montaged through the segment of him on the island... at least I think it was an island. Honestly, that scene was pretty forgettable. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Maybe box office wise, but I had a total blast with Legend of the Sword! Very stylish, and the 3D effects were the best I had ever seen in a regular movie (aka not one of those "special IMAX 3D presentation" things). Only thing I didn't like was how they montaged through the segment of him on the island... at least I think it was an island. Honestly, that scene was pretty forgettable. 

The score was pretty "rad" too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mulder said:

King Arthur: Legend of The Sword just further confirmed the only good King Arthur adaptation after Excalibur in the 80s was the Fate franchise.

How dare you diss this cinematic masterpiece

51oTNpsbqaL._SY445_.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

King Arthur: Legend of The Sword just further confirmed the only good King Arthur adaptation after Excalibur in the 80s was the Fate franchise.

30 minutes ago, cookie said:

How dare you diss this cinematic masterpiece

51oTNpsbqaL._SY445_.jpg

I wish somebody would do a new film of Mark Twain's "A Connecut Yankee In King Arthur's Court".

But, despite some flaws, John Boorman's "Excalibur" remains the best screen version of the Arthurian legend.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I wish somebody would do a new film of Mark Twain's "A Connecut Yankee In King Arthur's Court".

But, despite some flaws, John Boorman's "Excalibur" remains the best screen version of the Arthurian legend.

Just until Garden of Avalon gets adapted

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

King Arthur wasn't bad until the climax. That nearly ruined the whole thing. 

Prolbem with King Arthur for me is it did not have much to do with the Arthurian legend. It was just another Sword and Sorcery film..and not a parituclarly good one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

I just don't understand the Ritchie choice Disney made. Who would have thought "Guy Ritchie" and "Aladdin" would go together. Not to say he will end up doing a bad job, but Disney would have been better off even with someone like Kenny Ortega, who at least has experience with big musical numbers. 

I watched a video yesterday where a movie pundit agreed that the movie looked questionable, but liked Guy Ritchie and Aladdin enough to still want to see it.

He compared it ice cream and cookies in that he would put them together to make an ice cream sandwich and eat it no matter how bad shape the ingredients were in because he liked the ingredients. I was watching it thinking it's a misguided analogy because he's assuming that Ritchie and Aladdin are compatible ingredients like ice cream and cookies when, to me and others, they're like ice cream and Cheez-It crackers. I like both of those things, but no way in hell am I going to make an ice cream sandwich out of them.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Prolbem with King Arthur for me is it did not have much to do with the Arthurian legend. It was just another Sword and Sorcery film..and not a parituclarly good one.

And wasn't it supposed to be a start of a cinematic universe of sorts? 😆

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Mostly because all the others are so bad. Excalibur is sort of like the latter seasons of GOT, except for almost opposite reasons. With GOT, once they ran out of material to adapt, it started feeling more and more rushed, with the current season feeling like an adapatation of a cliff notes version of a (nonexistant) final book. With Excalibur, they had so much material to work with, and tried to fit so much of it in, that it too ended up feeling like a rushed cliff notes adaptation.

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This. I want a more classic, less-is-more King Arthur story. 

12 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Mostly because all the others are so bad. Excalibur is sort of like the latter seasons of GOT, except for almost opposite reasons. With GOT, once they ran out of material to adapt, it started feeling more and more rushed, with the current season feeling like an adapatation of a cliff notes version of a (nonexistant) final book. With Excalibur, they had so much material to work with, and tried to fit so much of it in, that it too ended up feeling like a rushed cliff notes adaptation.

Yeah ideally you'd do the King Arthur saga as a trilogy (At least) of films. But for it's time and with it's limitations, Excalibur captures the thematic weight of the saga and what makes it so enduring and epic in one movie.

Long time lurker. I wanted to contribute and I’m obsessed with Aladdin right now so here we go!  I’m rooting for it. Aladdin is one of my favourite animated films of all time. Here is opening weekend at the following theatre:

Aladdin: Yonge-Eglinton theatre, Toronto - 12 screens

Thursday - Two Showings:

7:10 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 28/320 = 8.75 %

10:00 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 3/345 = 0.87%

Friday - Four Showings:

7:40 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 71/279 = 25.4%

10:30 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 13/339 = 3.83%

1:30 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 2D: 0/348 = 0%

4:35 PM - D-BOX / Ultra AVX 2D: 4/344 = 1.16%

Saturday - Four Showings

7:40 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 3/345 = 0.87%

10:30 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 4/344 = 0.87%

1:30 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 2D: 4/344 = 0.87%

4:35 PM - D-BOX / Ultra AVX 2D: 5/343 = 1.46%

Sunday - Four Showings

7:40 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 4/344 = 0.87%

10:30 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 3D: 0/348 = 0%

1:30 PM – D-BOX / Ultra AVX 2D: 0/348 = 0%

4:35 PM - D-BOX / Ultra AVX 2D: 0/348 = 0%

Total:  139/4739 = 2.93%

This was fascinating to compile. Obviously this doesn’t look good at my local theatre but this is mid-town Toronto so not many children. Mostly adults and younger couples. Still 8 days to go. I’m sure several more hundred tickets will be sold in the next week. Interesting to see the Disney fans come out for the evenings of Thursday and Friday, they took most of the good seats for those two showings of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richmond Hill Silvercity, Ontario – 12 Screens

Thursday – Two Showings

7:30 PM – Ultra AVX 2D: 55/335 = 16.4%

10:30 PM – Ultra AVX 2D: 5/385 = 1.30%

Friday - Four Showings:

7:40 PM – Ultra AVX 3D: 13/377 = 3.45%

10:30 PM – Ultra AVX 3D: 5/385 = 1.30%

1:30 PM – Ultra AVX 2D: 2/388 = 0.52%

4:35 PM - Ultra AVX 2D: 2/388 = 0.52%

Saturday - Four Showings

7:40 PM – Ultra AVX 3D: 22/368 = 5.98%

10:30 PM – Ultra AVX 3D: 0/390 = 0%

1:30 PM – Ultra AVX 2D: 13/377 = 3.45%

4:35 PM - Ultra AVX 2D: 15/375 = 4%

Sunday - Four Showings

7:40 PM – Ultra AVX 3D: 0/390 = 0%

10:30 PM – Ultra AVX 3D: 0/390 = 0%

1:30 PM – Ultra AVX 2D: 0/390 = 0%

4:35 PM - Ultra AVX 2D: 4/386 = 1.04%

Total:  136/5324 = 2.55%

More of a residential area but similar sales. This theatre has more seats though so there may be some walk-ups. 8 days to go! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1