grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

This has less glowing pre-release buzz than Dumbo, and that was like a 40% so I can't see this getting good reviews at all unfortunately. 

Burton looks like he tossed most of the Dumbo story and characters away while not replacing it with anything nearly as good.

Aladdin has a very solid story with a great score.  It's also been put through its paces on Broadway.   Unless he was making it as a non musical it would hard for Ritchie to completely destroy it unless the leads or Smith couldn't sing or act but it looks so far most seem to like everyone except Jafar.   Hopefully thee's more energy on display than in that Prince Ali clip.

Edited by TalismanRing

I'm hoping this will do well despite all the negativity that's been surrounding it for months, I loved Aladdin as a kid so I've been looking forward to this. Not sure how it'll do at the box office but fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm expecting rotten, but i won't be surprised if this pull an Alita / Aquaman and finish with 60-65%

And i still think the movie will be a success, it won't be a big hit domestically but presales are solid enough so i guess it won't be a bomb either, and OS seems excited for the movie.

If the budget is really $ 175M, around $ 700M WW will be good enough and Disney should be happy considering all the production problems and the problematic campaign.

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Didn’t love Aladdin as a kid, but the live action movie doesn’t look bad to me. Maybe not having the nostalgia helps. I’m glad it might be getting okay reviews

Reviews aren't out yet, and most critics don't see it until the 21.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

The brownface incident or were there more?

Disney orders some reshoots in August last year, the executives didn't like the first cut, it didn't show so much of the middle eastern part so they are worried with another backlash and they though the Genie should appear more. 

Maybe that's why the CGI looks so bad initially...

• Astonished 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, Mulder said:

Yeah ideally you'd do the King Arthur saga as a trilogy (At least) of films. But for it's time and with it's limitations, Excalibur captures the thematic weight of the saga and what makes it so enduring and epic in one movie.

One of Excaliburs flauts is that it does get rushed toward the end;but it just about the only Arthur film that actually follows  Thomas Malory's "Morte D Arthur"(the 15th century work that is the main source of the Arthurain Legend) pretty close.

A film trilogyof Morte D[Aethur  would work; The Rise Of Arthur, Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table at their height, and the Fall of Arthur.

And of course we cannot omit "Monty Python And The Holy Grail". Yeah,it plays it for laughs, bur that the Pythons were extremely familiar with the Arthurian legends  is clear (you need to be really familiar with something to be so funny poking fun at it)mand the look of the film is amazing,and would not be surprised if Boorman saw Holy Grail and went "What if somebody made a serious version of Atrhur with those visuals".....

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This is easily the best piece of promo - the shots of the desert and the palace look great

Jordan's a beautiful place. They're shooting Dune there too.