grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

True, I feel like they could’ve spaced out things a lot more. 2019 in particular has not 2 but 3 live action remakes. I imagine 2020 will have The Little Mermaid and the already confirmed Maleficient sequel, while 2021 could have the recently announced Lilo and Stitch remake.

They have Mulan slated for 2020 and it's already in production.  They don't seem to be in any hurry with TLM, yet.

5 hours ago, Horner said:

They have Mulan slated for 2020 and it's already in production.  They don't seem to be in any hurry with TLM, yet.

Totally forgot about that one. In that case, with 2 remakes per year, then The Little Mermaid can share 2021 with Lilo and Stitch.

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

$10 says they’re waiting for Cameron to revolutionize underwater scenes with the Avatar sequels so they can use that tech to make TLM. No other reason for them to put it off when it has the most potential of anything to tap into the audience that made BatB huge.

Pretty much what I've been thinking all along. The one thing that sets TLM apart from the others and makes it difficult is the underwater shots. Now that there will be a mutual agreement with Fox and Cameron (presumably) I think they will see how he does it and go from there. Once they know how they will do the underwater scenes, they will immediately proceed with the juggernaut that will be TLM.

But Aquaman doesn't look too bad. Certainly they can figure out how to do it. They've probably already been doing tests with underwater scenes but don't want to make an announcement about TLM until they know how they will do it.

• Like 1

I doubt Disney's waiting for the Avatar sequels, especially since Rob Marshall already has an underwater sequence in his film that already looks pretty solid judging off the trailer, and there's already casting rumors for Ariel and Ursula

Little Mermaid will likely be the December 2021 movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I doubt Disney's waiting for the Avatar sequels, especially since Rob Marshall already has an underwater sequence in his film that already looks pretty solid judging off the trailer, and there's already casting rumors for Ariel and Ursula

Little Mermaid will likely be the December 2021 movie.

Avatar 3 is Disney's December 2021 movie.  Doubt they're gonna release 2 +500m hopefuls in less than a week.

Edited by expensiveho
  • Like 1

Never saw Aladdin, but gotta say I liked the teaser.

It's very well edited and looks, for my surprise, very cinematic;  must be breathtaking on the big screen.

Digging the vibe.

Edited by Goffe
  • Thanks 1

LMFAO

Which is how Heidi found herself planning a May wedding to a man who, for all his pretension, insisted they play “A Whole New World,” the popular Disney song, at the end of the ceremony. She didn’t understand: They had a band, she told him—a violinist, no less! Why on earth would they play a CD? “Because no one can do Aladdin,” he said. She relented, and it became a theme of sorts. Or that’s how she remembers it, anyway. On a magic carpet ride.

Robin Williams performance in Aladdin changed Hollywood forever, Dreamworks Animation was built on this Jeffrey Katzenberg's idea :

give funny animals the voices and faces (for promotion) of Hollywood stars.

Interesting to note that Lasseter never really believed in that mantra and Disney and Pixar movies are quite low on movie star as far as their castings.

They do it but less.

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

so why is this teaser hated on twitter? I didn't want to give clicks to the site so I didn't read beyond the headline. 

I have no idea but I bet it's some lame excuse to cover the fact people hated it really because Aladdin is not played by a white actor.

16 hours ago, Valonqar said:

so why is this teaser hated on twitter? I didn't want to give clicks to the site so I didn't read beyond the headline. 

I don't know if it's hated but I don't think it wowed or pleased a lot of people. I think some people are not on board with Guy Ritchie's signature colour palette and grittiness but most of all Aladdin's appearance in the teaser didn't convey the charming street urchin quality that people associate with the character.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

The teaser isn't exactly lighting the Youtube world on fire the way BatB did or anything for that matter. Not sure if that is troubling or not.

Well, this film won't do anywhere near as well as that one so not surprising. Don't get me wrong,  Youtube views aren't the be all end all but in this case I think they point to the obvious. Disney's dump blockbuster will not be anywhere near as successful. That's why they gave it such a bad release date. 

1 hour ago, Louis Lux said:

I don't know if it's hated but I don't think it wowed or pleased a lot of people. I think some people are not on board with Guy Ritchie's signature colour palette and grittiness but most of all Aladdin's appearance in the teaser didn't convey the charming street urchin quality that people associate with the character.

The teaser was more focused on that CGI bird than on Aladdin whose face is on the screen for 3 seconds. seriously, twitter. :wtf:

19 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Robin Williams performance in Aladdin changed Hollywood forever, Dreamworks Animation was built on this Jeffrey Katzenberg's idea :

give funny animals the voices and faces (for promotion) of Hollywood stars.

Interesting to note that Lasseter never really believed in that mantra and Disney and Pixar movies are quite low on movie star as far as their castings.

They do it but less.

It was a BIG thing for a time that isn't much of a selling point anymore. The Shrek cast and to a lesser extent the Madagascar cast I think were the big ones where the GA was hyper-aware who's voicing the characters in an animation and DW was putting them front and centre everywhere. I even remember press reporting on the huge salaries Diaz, Murphy and Mike Meyers were getting for Shrek 2, it was as if they were talking for a live action comedy where you could actually see the actors. Shark Tale was this trend stretched to extreme where the whole thing was what Will Smith, Jolie and De Niro would look like if they were fish. 

But it has died down a lot ever since Madagascar 2. Studios still put stars on animation to have something to talk about in the marketing, and the stars do it for an easy paycheck but hardly anyone cares that much. Even Sandra Bullock wasn't as front and centre on the Minions marketing as lesser stars than her were fifteen years ago. 

Ehhh, I do think some animated movies still use their voice actors in a big part of their marketing, even if it isn't as prominent as it was in the early 2000s. Boss Baby's main focal point in its entire marketing was Alec Baldwin voicing the baby.

Trolls and Ferdinand also had entire trailers that had the leading actors talk about the movie and their characters for 2 and a half minutes.

• Like 1