grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Man, as soon as I saw that Guy effing Ritchie is going to direct an Aladdin movie, I knew this would happen. Everything looks atrocious on every possible level, the sets look like something from a cheap foreign TV show, the actors are basically planks, literally everyone is miscast, the CGI is cancer-inducing. And the Genie speaks for itself...

My only true wish this year is to see this movie bomb so hard that even Bob freaking Iger gets fired. For so many people to approve this kind of a disaster, heads should really roll. Also, someone needs to be put in charge of the dumpster fire that is Disney's live action studio, so many bombs and downright shitty movies that have come out during the last year or so...Oh well, at least TLK looks good, for now...

Also, I've seen some people compare this shit to BaTB, it's not even close, that one was just forgettable, but people actually tried to make it work, the music was fine, the sets and the actors were excellent, but as it looks now, Aladdin has literally no redeeming quality, it's an obvious cash grab if there ever was one.

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Man, as soon as I saw that Guy effing Ritchie is going to direct an Aladdin movie, I knew this would happen. Everything looks atrocious on every possible level, the sets look like something from a cheap foreign TV show, the actors are basically planks, literally everyone is miscast, the CGI is cancer-inducing. And the Genie speaks for itself...

My only true wish this year is to see this movie bomb so hard that even Bob freaking Iger gets fired. For so many people to approve this kind of a disaster, heads should really roll. Also, someone needs to be put in charge of the dumpster fire that is Disney's live action studio, so many bombs and downright shitty movies that have come out during the last year or so...Oh well, at least TLK looks good, for now...

Also, I've seen some people compare this shit to BaTB, it's not even close, that one was just forgettable, but people actually tried to make it work, the music was fine, the sets and the actors were excellent, but as it looks now, Aladdin has literally no redeeming quality, it's an obvious cash grab if there ever was one.

I would say Lion King and BATB are equal with Aladdin in the "obvious cash grab" category. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Aladdin is a cash grab but Lion King is not?

If anything its the other way around. Aladdin is at least taking risks... Lion King takes no risks is just shot for shot remake. Laziest project in Disney history.

4 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

Guy Ritchie is a great director when it comes to crime dramas. He is a terrible choice for Fantasy Films.

I was surprised that Disney kept him on this project after "KIng Arthur" was such a huge bomb. That should have been hint Ritchie was maybe not the director you wanted for this.

• Like 2

The guy playing Jafar looks absolutely horrific as an actor. Seriously, I'm not sure I can even recall worse dialogue delivery that was actually used in a trailer. Will Smith is obviously just doing Will Smith here, so hard pass on that as well. Some of the visuals look nice, some are plagued by Ritchie's annoying filters. I do feel like it's telling that Disney still doesn't want to show much of this, but would rather give us these bit sized teasers even though we are definitely close enough that we should have a full blown trailer now. Hmm, seems to recall what they did with a certain other high profile Memorial Day dud...

• Like 3

Hey, you know that pic they released of Will Smith in costume? That's probably him for 90% of the movie. And again, 90% of the population knew from the moment Will Smith was announced that he'd probably be a Blue CGI Will Smith. It's not the design that people are having problems with, the CGI maybe, but not the design. It's because Robin Williams left such a legacy on the character that no one else will match.

As for Jafar's one line, I'm going to throw a bone to the movie and say that maybe he's not trying to come off as threatening to Al at that point in the film.

Still gonna see it regardless. I saw similar talk about the Beast and Lumiere back when Beauty and the Beast was in marketing.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I would say Lion King and BATB are equal with Aladdin in the "obvious cash grab" category. 

Yes, of course, but people that made BaTB actually took some effort, even just to reshoot it scene-for-scene. The sets in the movie looked gorgeous, the singing and acting were good, even the new songs were really great. TLK's CGI looks fantastic for now, and judging by TJB, the whole movie's going to look like that, and let's not forget all those A-listers that are voicing the characters. Here, everything just seems to be put together in the cheapest, easiest way possible because, hey, it's Aladdin and people are obviously going to see it no matter how bad it is.

1 minute ago, Titan Man said:

Yes, of course, but people that made BaTB actually took some effort, even just to reshoot it scene-for-scene. The sets in the movie looked gorgeous, the singing and acting were good, even the new songs were really great. TLK's CGI looks fantastic for now, and judging by TJB, the whole movie's going to look like that, and let's not forget all those A-listers that are voicing the characters. Here, everything just seems to be put together in the cheapest, easiest way possible because, hey, it's Aladdin and people are obviously going to see it no matter how bad it is.

I would guess they are spending big money on Aladdin. I think the bigger issue is that they got the wrong director, which leads to poor casting. You don't need a mega budget to find an actor around 50 years old with a strong voice to play Jafar. Instead they get a dude with a weak voice who looks similar age to Aladdin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

In all honesty, Disney has never been especially interested in being completely original. Most of their successful animated films are adaptations of already existing fairy tales and books. Even The Lion King, despite technically being an original film, takes a lot of inspiration from Hamlet. 

With that being said, I’m definitely not a fan of these remakes. 

Because you think non Disney people make more original films ?

Sure.

Just now, The Futurist said:

Sure.

I never said that. The truth is that Hollywood has never been especially original. Some of the most beloved films of all time are adaptations of pre-existing works, such as The Wizard of Oz, The Godfather and Jaws.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Sure.

Well yes ? Non Disney people have not the franchises that would allow them to do with they do.

In 2018 it was pretty much 0 original for them:

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open Close
1 Black Panther BV $700,059,566 4,084 $202,003,951 4,020 2/16 8/9
2 Avengers: Infinity War BV $678,815,482 4,474 $257,698,183 4,474 4/27 9/13
3 Incredibles 2 BV $608,581,744 4,410 $182,687,905 4,410 6/15 12/13
4 Ant-Man and the Wasp BV $216,648,740 4,206 $75,812,205 4,206 7/6 11/1
5 Solo: A Star Wars Story BV $213,767,512 4,381 $84,420,489 4,381 5/25 9/20
6 Ralph Breaks the Internet BV $197,572,913 4,017 $56,237,634 4,017 11/21 -
7 Mary Poppins Returns BV $169,763,349 4,090 $23,523,121 4,090 12/19 -
8 A Wrinkle in Time BV $100,478,608 3,980 $33,123,609 3,980 3/9 7/5
9 Disney's Christopher Robin BV $99,215,042 3,602 $24,585,139 3,602 8/3 11/29
10 The Nutcracker and the Four Realms BV $54,858,851 3,766 $20,352,491 3,766 11/2 -

In 2019, also planned to go for zero original movies:

Captain Marvel Buena Vista 3/8/19
Dumbo (2019) Buena Vista 3/29/19
Penguins (Disneynature) Buena Vista 4/17/19
Avengers: Endgame Buena Vista 4/26/19
Aladdin (2019) Buena Vista 5/24/19
Toy Story 4 Buena Vista 6/21/19
The Lion King (2019) Buena Vista 7/19/19
Artemis Fowl Buena Vista 8/9/19
Frozen 2 Buena Vista 11/22/19
Star Wars: Episode IX Buena Vista 12/20/19

Not only 0 original, but only 2 adaptation (Fowl and Wrinkle) that is not part of already on going franchise or a remake.

You pretty much just have to make one original movie, to make more original movies than Disney at this point.

When you look at how much money there in their franchise business, it is normal for just movies to not look interesting for them right now, that an high risk low ROI business model that would be a bit of a waste of money for Disney.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Sure.

Compare $200M CGI animated version of Lion King that Disney has funded, vs. say $200M Jupiter Ascending that WB funded.

They're equally unoriginal?

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well yes ? Non Disney people have not the franchises that would allow them to do with that do.

In 2018 it was pretty much 0 original for them:

The highest-grossing original movie of 2018 Bohemian Rhapsody is from FOX. So in a few months retroactively Disney will have made an original movie last year!