grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

The problem is the film seems like it's trying to be faithful to the animated film except they're changing the most popular aspect of the animated version with the Genie. Knowing that Robin Williams was unfortunately not going to reprise his role they should have just tried to do a whole different take of Aladdin instead of trying to bank of people's nostalgia of the animated version while also changing the thing they liked the most. 

Genie Smith could become Aladdin's Captain Jack Sparrow when all is said and done. I read that the first look at Depp as CJS was met with just as much ridicule back in the aughts. and then the movie came out and the rest is history. granted, Willy is going against iconic voice performance but many things out of context could look better or worse than in context.

• Like 1

These live action remakes serve two purposes: (1) somehow stir up nostalgia and (more importantly) (2) what would those animated classics look like if they were "real" life. They do not serve to create whole new stories or even capture new imagination. Those are left to brand new properties which, over the past several years, have all failed miserably.

But there's no way to recreate the Genie in a real life version of the cartoon simply because Robin passed away. So that aspect has to be something rather new in depiction at least. Oh, and Genies are not real anyway. Lion King may be a different "animal" altogether (pun intended) because they ARE all animals and not supernatural beings.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:21 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The problem is the film seems like it's trying to be faithful to the animated film except they're changing the most popular aspect of the animated version with the Genie. Knowing that Robin Williams was unfortunately not going to reprise his role they should have just tried to do a whole different take of Aladdin instead of trying to bank of people's nostalgia of the animated version while also changing the thing they liked the most. 

That would've demanded creativity and risk-taking from Disney. 

Edited by Hunch

On 2/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, Valonqar said:

Genie Smith could become Aladdin's Captain Jack Sparrow when all is said and done. I read that the first look at Depp as CJS was met with just as much ridicule back in the aughts. 

Ridicule from audiences? Nobody even knew what the hell it was at the time. It was a WOM hit after release, not something people were talking about beforehand. The negativity surrounding Jack Sparrow was with Disney's idiotic studio executives. 

Just thinking that if they are waiting for the Genie to look perfect before showing a full trailer, they are being very very foolish. They can show some action, some other scenery, some more Jasmine (who's gotten mostly praise) and build confidence in Jafar. They can still make a full trailer with other stuff and feature some of the better shots of the Genie that they have.

So it makes me wonder why they aren't changing the way they market for the time being until they finish the Genie and THEN show the better final product. My guess is that Disney wants to put ALL of their marketing on Captain Marvel at the moment and get the Aladdin trailer out for EG and/or Dumbo (preferably Dumbo because EG is a bit too late). 

On 2/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, shayhiri said:

None of this matters. Are you American? Then yes - odds are you are racist and hate everything Arab. OR - which is just as bad - you do not care, and passively also hate any period or place of human culture that is different than the here and now of the disgusting current American metropolises.

In your last post you lined up Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Aladdin - meaning that all of them suck and will bomb. Nothing can be more telling of the general American disposition.

And the only sin of all these innocent movies - is that they are Middle Eastern period pieces. How dare they!! Burn them down with flaming hate and spit on their remains!!

And don't try to further argue this is not the case - because I will ask you to say a single title of a similar period piece that escaped this fate - and you will fail to provide one!

PS: GoE is indeed a strange movie - but still very much a decent one, at least for originality. PoP is absolute adventure classic, better than anything besides PotC - but it still couldn't fight a continent of xenophobes on its own. Aladdin though will be just as good - and this time will have the backing of nostalgia, that is the only (insipid) force that can move a xenophobe. So it can not fail, despite all the odds against it that the Shay highlighted for all of you above.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:30 PM, Brainbug said:

This shay guy is just so weird. Is he a troll? I honestly cant tell.

he's absolutely mastered his gimmick

its why we love him

This is now third fiddle in May after Avengers and Pikachu. Families won't be willing to shell out $100 for a night out for the kids (between tickets, popcorn, soda, gas) three times in a row.

It's about to get Solo'd.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hunch said:

This is now third fiddle in May after Avengers and Pikachu. Families won't be willing to shell out $100 for a night out for the kids (between tickets, popcorn, soda, gas) three times in a row.

It's about to get Solo'd.

Why are you breeding like rabbits?? Aladdin is not a stupid kids flick (like Pikachu, and Avengers 5 is in April). Alladin is for grown up people with taste, so if you are such - buckle up and go see it. No better movie in the whole month.

7 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Why are you breeding like rabbits?? Aladdin is not a stupid kids flick (like Pikachu, and Avengers 5 is in April). Alladin is for grown up people with taste, so if you are such - buckle up and go see it. No better movie in the whole month.

Grown ups with taste? The only damn difference between it and the original will likely be that it’s in live action.

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Grown ups with taste? The only damn difference between it and the original will likely be that it’s in live action.

The only difference will probably be that the original is great and the new version is ... not great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously every thread I go into turns into some dumpster fire over some sort of political, social, cultural, ethnic issue that is somehow latched on to a film to either to make the film look good or bad. 

Like I know I have contributed to this myself in some threads but even I think lately its gone way overboard. 😒😪

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1