grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

2 hours ago, Dingdong said:

This still looks bad. It looks cheap for some reason. Also, how the acting of the guy playing Aladdin seems like gonna suck. 

I think they're really doing a disservice to most of their live action films by shooting most of them digitally (not talking about TLK or Jungle Book, they don't really count since they're so CG driven). Cinderella, Christopher Robin (for everything in the Hundred Acre Wood) being shot on film made a huge difference. I think film, not only looks better and has more life to it in every frame than digital could ever have, but it also feels more expensive, more production value. 

I’m not getting the “looks cheap” comments at all...it just looked extremely polished which is the way disney has gone with these movies (Cinderella/JB/BATB). Looks like everyone just wants to complain. And now that Will Smith as genie has become a non issue people are just jumping to the next complaining opportunity. We see like 5 seconds of Jafar in here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I’m not getting the “looks cheap” comments at all...it just looked extremely polished which is the way disney has gone with these movies (Cinderella/JB/BATB). Looks like everyone just wants to complain. And now that Will Smith as genie has become a non issue people are just jumping to the next complaining opportunity. We see like 5 seconds of Jafar in here. 

Exactly.

From the moment this was announced, literally, people have been proclaiming that it would be an underperformer or an outright flop (despite the fact that the original Aladdin it was a much bigger hit than the original BATB), and when Ritchie was announced, it was "confirmed" (in the detractors' heads) that it would flop, despite BATB also being directed by a hack. I mean, I get that Robin Williams is irreplaceable, but damn...

Now that the new trailer is the # 1 trending topic on Youtube and it has finally made people forget the crappy first look at the genie, the detractors are still trying to do their thing. Disney blockbuster films may have many problems, but looking cheap is not one of them.

Come on.

Having said that, I am still not sold on Jafar, but let's not pretend that Luke Evans was Oscar-caliber in BATB.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia

2 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

This won’t hit a billion with all that competition. Endgame and Pikachu would’ve made $3B by then. 

EG and Pikachu will make 3B each and Aladdin will make 1B and boxoffice will be the biggest ever for any year.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Exactly.

From the moment this was announced, literally, people have been proclaiming that it would be an underperformer or an outright flop (despite the fact that the original Aladdin it was a much bigger hit than the original BATB), and when Ritchie was announced, it was "confirmed" (in the detractors' heads) that it would flop, despite BATB also being directed by a hack. I mean, I get that Robin Williams is irreplaceable, but damn...

Now that the new trailer is the # 1 trending topic on Youtube and it has finally made people forget the crappy first look at the genie, the detractors are still trying to do their thing. Disney blockbuster films may have many problems, but looking cheap is not one of them.

Come on.

Having said that, I am still not sold on Jafar, but let's not pretend that Luke Evans was Oscar-caliber in BATB.

Right? I mean, Aladdin made 50M views on 24 hours just on Disney / Will pages and still people comparing this movie with Solo. It doesn’t make sense

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Right? I mean, Aladdin made 50M views on 24 hours just on Disney / Will pages and still people comparing this movie with Solo. It doesn’t make sense

How did you get 50M?

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You know another criticism that I don't get? "Will is playing Will, but blue...Will is playing Hitch but blue...Will is playing the Will screen persona, but blue" WTF did they think Robin Williams played in the original Aladdin but a blue Robin Williams? If you have an incredibly charismatic movie star like Williams or Smith in a leading role of a high-budget blockbuster, you have him play to his strengths and you DON'T hide his charisma or the schtick that audiences love about him.

It's not rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

You know another criticism that I don't get? "Will is playing Will, but blue...Will is playing Hitch but blue...Will is playing the Will screen persona, but blue" WTF did they think Robin Williams played in the original Aladdin but a blue Robin Williams? If you have an incredibly charismatic movie star like Williams or Smith in a leading role of a high-budget blockbuster, you have him play to his strengths and you DON'T hide his charisma or the schtick that audiences love about him.

It's not rocket science.

What seems to be rocket science is that you only *hear* Robin Williams in the original, along with a voice cast that didn't match the ethnicity of their characters. Here, we see *also* Will Smith's face alongside numerous actors who are culturally appropriate. I myself don't care for Will Smith anymore, but to be fair, what I just said is not a problem that's specific to Will Smith.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Exactly.

Come on.

I honestly think that the "looks cheap" complaints that some people have with many movies often has to do (and mind you, it's a bit foolish to judge off a 1080p YT video because the compression is so high and the quality so low that any texture there is to the image is completely gone) with most movies these days being shot digitally. So it has a super clean, clinical look to it that makes it look cheapER. 

I dont know...

This forum is a bit funny as some people who say this is a money grab or looks bad are the same people who go to the cinema each weekend and spend 10-15 bucks on the same generic comedy or action movie...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I dont know...

This forum is a bit funny as some people who say this is a money grab or looks bad are the same people who go to the cinema each weekend and spend 10-15 bucks on the same generic comedy or action movie...

Because only spectacle movies matter lmao. I know this is just another one of your attempts to put down movies that aren't traditional blockbusters because no other kinds of movies are valid and not because you're defending this particular movie. Just go away already. Your shtick is tired.

Edited by filmlover

18 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I dont know...

That too.

Let's not sugarcoat it: CBMS firmly entrenched in cinematic universes as as cash-grabby as any of these live action remakes of animated classics. Besides, what's inherently evil about a corporation trying to make money? Meh.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because only spectacle movies matter lmao. I know this is just another one of your attempts to put down movies that aren't traditional blockbusters because no other kinds of movies are valid and not because you're defending this particular movie. Just go away already. Your shtick is tired.

Yeah and then you talk about the virtues of the same generic romantic comedies that are no better then VOD netflix movies.

I am just saying no one is in the right here...

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah and then you talk about the virtues of the same generic romantic comedies that are no better then VOD netflix movies.

I am just saying no one is in the right here...

Movies don't need to have special effects to be considered of value, ya know (or don't). If that were the case following movies would be really boring unless you only hang around one particular type of movie and don't bother to expand your tastes.

• Thanks 1