grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

@Alli any screening reactions from yesterday?

Genuinely curious to see how this turns out lol 

Also FWIW, I had a family gathering of sorts this weekend and several of my family members said this movie doesn’t look good but they’re going to watch it no matter what because they love Aladdin. I know it’s anecdotal but something to think about. 

I was little busy yesterday and didn't get to track reactions, but looking at letterboxd the reviews seem to be good. I'll be really surprised if this doesn't get at least 65% RT

Edited by Alli
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Heroicpiglet said:

The film received positive reviews from press screening in Viet Nam. The only  weak link is Jafar.

As i said a year ago:) what a missed opportunity for an amazing casting.. anyway these disney remakes dont need to break new ground.. i really doubt there is any replay or surprise factor that is needed... going by the numbers is what should be done for these projects... such an ugly word for artform:/ so i guess i am puzzled by jafar casting   TTVOMJ

12 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Psttt, hey psst

The One Jump Ahead is a cover of the Broadway version. it's not the movie version. 

There's a TV spot/ad on Facebook and Twitter that actually has soundbites of the song and it doesn't sound like that.......at all.

This is the real version

The Broadway version is better than this one.

It's like the producers said, "Let's take everything that made the original songs fun and catchy... and remove it."

• Knock It Off 1

11 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Only difference is the guy whom sang for Aladdin can actually sing and didn't have to be autotuned. Can't say the same for anybody in this cast.

Imagine that.

I would put bets on the fact that Massoud and Naomi Scott probably recorded their parts from across the country.

These remakes are such a disservice to the originals.

• Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, I Am said:

The Broadway version is better than this one.

It's like the producers said, "Let's take everything that made the original songs fun and catchy... and remove it."

I don't really think the live action version of One Jump Ahead is that much of a disaster

I can get the squabbles against Prince Ali (but they seem to be going a different way with it and what we heard was just the intro), but One Jump Ahead sounds fine, Whole New World sounds terrific in the TV spots and trailers, what I've heard of Friend Like Me, the big special effects musical number of the movie (yeah, Will Smith is going to mostly rap it, but that really, really , REALLY should be expected and going "Bawww, Will Smith is rapping it, it's ruined" is STILL GOING TO HAPPEN) sounds great. Even Jasmine's song sounds good and Naomi Scott is an actual singer.

If the remake fails, then you still have the original, it's not like Disney's going to Song of the South it

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

When he was cast the internet reaction was overwhelmingly "Aladdin who?".   Hotness has it limits after all.  :rock:

The internet is full of horny fat idiots. The dude was ugly as fuck, even before we heard his hilarious voice.

Eventually Jafar will be remembered as the only villain that is hated not because of the character, but because of the actor, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

The film received positive reviews from press screening in Viet Nam. The only  weak link is Jafar.

Jafar is my favorite Disney villain so maybe it’s good this version doesn’t surpass it

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Aladdin (4 Days before previews, 5 before release)

5/23/19

North Shore Cinema

Mequon, WI

6:00 - 31/301

9:30 - 13/301

Comparisons:

57% ahead of Pikachu ($85.6M OW)

76% ahead of Hotel 3 ($77.4M OW)

100% ahead of Coco ($101.6M OW/$150M 5 Day (so maybe $125M 4 Day)

It really pains me to say this but Aladdin is doing great here. Personally I like the Pikachu comparisons the best as I feel Coco and Hotel 3 was more younger skewing, but I think $90M-$120M 4 Day seems right.

27 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

The dude was ugly as fuck, even before we heard his hilarious voice.

Lmao, I love how Shay criticises the looks of men who likely look better and are more successful than himself.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, I love how Shay criticises the looks of men who likely look better and are more successful than himself.

No offense, but Shay is not an actor, so his looks are not important.  He has the right to criticise the looks of this actor when looks are an important part of why most actors are successful.

41 minutes ago, Alli said:

No offense, but Shay is not an actor, so his looks are not important.  He has the right to criticise the looks of this actor when looks are an important part of why most actors are successful.

Thanks, yeah this is how it works.

However, having the looks I did (I've posted pictures in the past lorddemaxus might have missed), might be making me extra vocal when judging others on looks, when they are overpraised.

Like in this case. I'm pretty sure I looked much better than this Arab when I was his age. :) Even as in body/height, I won't even mention his face.

60737578_465754410864965_812913442275983

PS: I'll wait couple more days to see him in the movie, before judging his success - but I am pretty sure he is a total failure in this role, and he won't have another famous one.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1