grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

it's gonna be big. not only it's a beloved story (and music) but we didn't have classic adventure movies in a long time. save POTC (which faded away though still impressive OS) there isn't anything else that's adventure genre. 

it also made one change to modernize it which I think works well because it makes sense. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be honest, I could’ve seen $500M DOM if they did this next year or in a more secluded spot this year.

I think Disney should have gone for "big live action classics" once a year. And Aladdin should have moved to summer 2020. 

And Disney could have just tried some new property for the Memorial Day we. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, excel1 said:

release A WHOLE NEW WORLD to the world the 2 weeks before and hype will explode like Vesuvius 

QFT

Edited by excel1

22 minutes ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

I think "Aladdin" will do way better overseas and underperform in the States. I wouldn't be surprised if it pulls 150-180 million $ total.

It's tracking 85-115 OW for the 4 day initial weekend.

Dumbo was overpredicted on here as well. I think you guys over estimate how much people actually want to see these live action remakes that don’t contain anywhere near the same magic as the originals.

Also remember when everyone told us that there is no way a Star Wars movie was going to flop and then Han Solo was released and well it flopped :thinking:  Anyways I don’t think this is going to bomb or flop but I don’t think it’s gonna do as well as some folks think. I think this is gonna suffer a similar fate as Solo because there are several films that come out before it, that people will be interested in coupled with several films that come out right after it that folks will be highly interested in. Also as what happened with Solo, Disney is too busy advertising their Marvel movie right now and pretty much ignoring their MDW release. People will down play the latter but in a competitive market, you gotta actually advertise your movie and well I’ve seen nothing in terms of advertisement and I know for sure it’s cause Disney is putting all their focus on End Game and then will switch gears once that comes out BUT imo it’ll be a little bit too late 

Having said that, I really think this could have been a BATB any other year but I think Disney is over saturating the market place with these remakes so it’ll probably end up doing $200M domestic and maybe $350-$400M or so world wide. So similar numbers to Solo domestically but it’ll have a better OS run. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Dumbo was overpredicted on here as well. I think you guys over estimate how much people actually want to see these live action remakes that don’t contain anywhere near the same magic as the originals.

Also remember when everyone told us that there is no way a Star Wars movie was going to flop and then Han Solo was released and well it flopped :thinking:  Anyways I don’t think this is going to bomb or flop but I don’t think it’s gonna do as well as some folks think. I think this is gonna suffer a similar fate as Solo because there are several films that come out before it, that people will be interested in coupled with several films that come out right after it that folks will be highly interested in. Also as what happened with Solo, Disney is too busy advertising their Marvel movie right now and pretty much ignoring their MDW release. People will down play the latter but in a competitive market, you gotta actually advertise your movie and well I’ve seen nothing in terms of advertisement and I know for sure it’s cause Disney is putting all their focus on End Game and then will switch gears once that comes out BUT imo it’ll be a little bit too late 

Having said that, I really think this could have been a BATB any other year but I think Disney is over saturating the market place with these remakes so it’ll probably end up doing $200M domestic and maybe $350-$400M or so world wide. So similar numbers to Solo domestically but it’ll have a better OS run. 

It's tracking above Pikachu for opening weekend mind you. So if you think Aladdin is gonna flop, you might as well believe the 50 million OW predictions.

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's tracking above Pikachu for opening weekend mind you. So if you think Aladdin is gonna flop, you might as well believe the 50 million OW predictions.

It’s actually not. BOP lowered their OW prediction to $80M this week for it. They decreased it by 8%. BOP has it pretty much in a similar range where Solo opened. And BOP tracking isn’t the same thing as insider tracking. Aladdin hasn’t had any official tracking released yet. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

It’s actually not. BOP lowered their OW prediction to $80M this week for it: it’s pretty much in a similar range where Solo opened. 

BOP is just one and that's for the 3 day not 4 day weekend. 4day tracking is 85-115. 

Dumbo sucked, if Aladdin sucks then it could do badly. If it doesn't 650 is the floor but I expect more. Same for pika imo

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

BOP is just one and that's for the 3 day not 4 day weekend. 4day tracking is 85-115. 

Dumbo sucked, if Aladdin sucks then it could do badly. If it doesn't 650 is the floor but I expect more. Same for pika imo

BOP released updated tracking for this yesterday and had it opening at $80M which was an 8% decrease from last week. And if it’s $85-115M for the FOUR day, I’m not sure what you’re arguing with me about because the midway range of that for the 3 day would be roughly $80M three day which is where I have it opening. 

And you originally said if I think aladdin is gonna flop BUT I specifically said in comments I don’t think it’s gonna flop. I just don’t think it’s gonna do as well as some of you think. If $200M domestic and $350-400M OS (so $550-$600M) is considered a flop to you then that’s something different 

Edited by Nova

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

Even if it underwhelms domestic, it's gonna be a monster OS.  so let's say worst case scenario 250M domestic 500M OS

That's my guess but I'm willing to consider lowest possible 650 as well. Hoping for more for it and Pika.

• Like 1