grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I really tried to get excited for this movie. I thought Will Smith looks and sounds great as Genie. Have some reservations about the castings for Aladdin/Jasmine/Jafar though I’m not judging pre-release

But then I also got reminded every time that this is directed by Guy Ritchie :gold:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Box Office Pro now has Aladdin at $66 million OW and $180 million domestic.

From bad to worse. This is getting really really bad. Marketing has been crazy. People are warming up to it.  Are we looking at Poppins Returns numbers? And wasn't Dumbo at or close to these numbers just before it came out and was found DOA?

I can't even.........this is nuts!

Bop also predicted 90 million for DP then quickly changed their prediction to avoid embarrassment. They will update this one good or bad in a couple weeks as well.

26 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Black Widow and Eternals aren't coming out in 2020. So that's not a point.

Lion King? Yeah, it has been predicted to be a hit BUT there have been concerns from viewers. Some have even said they prefer what they saw in Aladdin. Lion King will be much bigger BUT with the constant failure after failure in the live action department after BatB, I wonder how much more than that TLK will make. I mean, one cannot assume that a $600 million movie will surface after 7 disastrous live actions in the past couple of years, two of which are classic animateds and one of those being one of the most popular of all time.

Little Mermaid may go straight to Disney +.

Both Black Widow and Eternals are coming out in fact the former is starting production.

I still think Lion King will be big because of nostalgia, the only problem is the amount of cash families have the share (again with idk $150M for Pikachu, $250M for Aladdin, Pets 2 does $300M, and TS4 does $350M, that’s $1B dollars spend of family entertainment). Also no reason to see why they won’t release The Little Mermaid or why it won’t be big. Aladdin will likely underperform domestically due to Disney’s greed when to be honest a 2020 release would’ve been better than a competitive summer.

The main problem for these remakes is eventually nostalgia runs out, Pixar probably would be more against live action remakes of their films and the only 00s film that can drum up some nostalgia is Lilo and Stitch, otherwise they have to wait until the 2030s.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

*reads last few pages*

Did I just wander into the Pika Pika thread by mistake?  @Brainbug, please tell me that the KotM thread isn't as... anxious as these two. 

No worry that is still a very solid thread :)

• Like 1

Well I have to hand it to those who were predicting crazy low numbers for Aladdin. I thought you were all nuts, but apparently there was something legit in those predictions.

What I want to know is what those same people think will happen to Lion King and Rise of Skywalker? Less than $600 million domestic for both of them??? Lower than $200 million OW's for at least one, if not both? We may need to listen to the people we thought were trolling. Looks like they're onto something.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Well I have to hand it to those who were predicting crazy low numbers for Aladdin. I thought you were all nuts, but apparently there was something legit in those predictions.

What I want to know is what those same people think will happen to Lion King and Rise of Skywalker? Less than $600 million domestic for both of them??? Lower than $200 million OW's for at least one, if not both? We may need to listen to the people we thought were trolling. Looks like they're onto something.

what's with the pessimism all of a sudden?

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I was right on Dumbo under-performing, and we'll see where Aladdin goes. Still sticking to my sub-$200m dom prediction. Rn i'm thinking $520m for TLK and $550m for EP IX tbh. But we'll see as we get closer.

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I think Lion King will be fine. Probably somewhere between $550-$600M but it may go higher simply because it has the rest of summer all to itself. 

Rise of Skywalker I have in the same ballpark range. I think it being the last film coupled with holiday legs will elevate its overall gross. 

*I'm not predicting crazy low numbers for Aladdin though. Although I guess it depends on what you consider "low" 

Edited by Nova

Just now, jedijake said:

Yes...and probably...but that's still in the wagging phase (wild ass guessing, based solely on the opening trailer, and the market I see for them both opening into:)...

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I was right on Dumbo under-performing, and we'll see where Aladdin goes. Still sticking to my sub-$200m dom prediction. Rn i'm thinking $520m for TLK and $550m for EP IX tbh. But we'll see as we get closer.

I mean you're kind of pessimistic about most things :ph34r: But to be fair to you, sure means you get pleasantly surprised a lot. 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

To the questions about "pessimism", it's quite simple. It's superhero or die right now.

So, sub-$600 million for both LK and TROS at the moment. I can accept that that.

Sub-$600m dom isn't anything to scoff at though :/ 

It's only a $20m dip for EP IX from EP VIII, and I just feel like the over-saturation of the live action remakes will prevent Lion King from going that much beyond B&TB numbers. I could be wrong on both fronts though.

I can’t see The Lion King going sub $600M and I can’t see Aladdin sub $200M even with Endgame but even if Aladdin underperforms it’s more due to live action remake saturation and the fact that this summer was stocked with family competition moreso than these past few years. 

It's just with TLK those trailer views are something else, especially for a movie there's no reason to speculate on like Marvel or Star Wars. I just can't shake the feeling it's being underestimated.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

It's just with TLK those trailer views are something else, especially for a movie there's no reason to speculate on like Marvel or Star Wars. I just can't shake the feeling it's being underestimated.

I feel as the general public is somewhat aware that Disney dates films that will bomb on Memorial Day

14 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I feel as the general public is somewhat aware that Disney dates films that will bomb on Memorial Day

Do they? I find the whole "it's a Memorial Day release, so it's going to flop" sentiment to be rather silly tbh, especially since it's been the opposite in the past.

Edited by cookie