grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Can't wait to see how much unnecessary padding they put into that extra 38 minutes.

Billy Magnussen is playing a new character for this film. Odds of him being an affable doofus? 100%?

I hope this doesn't stop him from getting Flash

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Can't wait to see how much unnecessary padding they put into that extra 38 minutes.

can't be worse than Dumbo adding almost doubling the original's run time!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

can't be worse than Dumbo adding almost doubling the original's run time!

Dumbo is more of a sequel to the original, which is why it’s better.  Aladdin will almost certainly just retread the plot of the animated film.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Dumbo is more of a sequel to the original, which is why it’s better.  Aladdin will almost certainly just retread the plot of the animated film.

oh right, I don't really know anything about the original film, never seen it. Thinking about it iirc colin farrell said pretty much everything in the movie is new, which is neat. I enjoyed Dumbo 2019.

9 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I don’t know if Disney will release it despite it being a very great idea to boost awareness. 

I do think they may do a cover if you’re lucky next Sunday (as they did the Grande/Legend Beauty and The Beast song 2 weeks before OW).

What are you predicting for Aladdin btw?

Buffoons. 

The very idea that Aladdin could make less than 50% of BatB is baffling, no matter how awful Aladdin might be. 60% ? Sure. Even right at 50%. Okay if it's not that great. But 30-35% No way. I'm not buying it.

Then again, BOP has been doing pretty well outside of the EG and Dumbo bit.

26 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The very idea that Aladdin could make less than 50% of BatB is baffling, no matter how awful Aladdin might be. 60% ? Sure. Even right at 50%. Okay if it's not that great. But 30-35% No way. I'm not buying it.

Then again, BOP has been doing pretty well outside of the EG and Dumbo bit.

Again even a property as loved as Aladdin in a very competitive summer, one of four Disney live action remakes and with the first two trailers taking away morale. Different movies and different circumstances, Beast was the first mega opener of the year at a time when the female demographic was underserved, family movies were somewhat dense and the power of Emma Watson and as loved as Will Smith is, Watson probably gave much more allure to Beast. 

Aladdin will likely make a nice penny anyways but we shouldn’t expect it to be just like Beast because it was loved. Different scenarios, just like Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory, Dory should’ve been bigger but Incredibles had more of a nostalgia, very weak family competition and the superhero boom.

The reason why the Beauty and the Beast remake was so succesful is the implications of  evolutionnary psychology.

Things you cannot escape, no matter how hard the current social engineering paradigm tries to.

Edited by The Futurist

44 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Again even a property as loved as Aladdin in a very competitive summer, one of four Disney live action remakes and with the first two trailers taking away morale. Different movies and different circumstances, Beast was the first mega opener of the year at a time when the female demographic was underserved, family movies were somewhat dense and the power of Emma Watson and as loved as Will Smith is, Watson probably gave much more allure to Beast. 

Aladdin will likely make a nice penny anyways but we shouldn’t expect it to be just like Beast because it was loved. Different scenarios, just like Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory, Dory should’ve been bigger but Incredibles had more of a nostalgia, very weak family competition and the superhero boom.

Those are reasonable statements. I can appreciate that. And I SUPPOSE that even though the full trailer was very well received, it also came during the same week that the full Endgame and full Toy Story 4 trailers also came out. I also suppose that BatB has marketing to itself at the time of release. Fate of the Furious didn't make a splash and certainly didn't hog up marketing time. GOTG2 was anticipated but definitely didn't take attention away from BatB. And the ONLY family film in the coming months was Cars 3, in June, that was not really that well anticipated. So, yeah, I guess it does make sense that BatB was going to knock it out.

8 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Those are reasonable statements. I can appreciate that. And I SUPPOSE that even though the full trailer was very well received, it also came during the same week that the full Endgame and full Toy Story 4 trailers also came out. I also suppose that BatB has marketing to itself at the time of release. Fate of the Furious didn't make a splash and certainly didn't hog up marketing time. GOTG2 was anticipated but definitely didn't take attention away from BatB. And the ONLY family film in the coming months was Cars 3, in June, that was not really that well anticipated. So, yeah, I guess it does make sense that BatB was going to knock it out.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think Aladdin is doing well and potentially underestimated ($80M/$110M/$270M/$800M) is still my guess and Pikachu not looking as strong as it once (your prediction may be close than thought) was helps and while Beast did have some competition for the family crowd like Boss Baby it helped that it was smooth sailing afterwards. Aladdin faces Rocketman which although R I think, is still going for the female audience as both are musicals and lose PLFs the second weekend, and faces Pets 2 the third weekend which also feels like a fall.

Though even if Aladdin does less than expected, it’s because families are saving for Toy Story 4 and The Lion King and even if there is a remake fatigue, The Lion King through social media evidence should be enough to surpass it and TROS benefits from a very weak November outside of Frozen 2.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Don’t get me wrong, I still think Aladdin is doing well and potentially underestimated ($80M/$110M/$270M/$800M) is still my guess and Pikachu not looking as strong as it once (your prediction may be close than thought) was helps and while Beast did have some competition for the family crowd like Boss Baby it helped that it was smooth sailing afterwards. Aladdin faces Rocketman which although R I think, is still going for the female audience as both are musicals and lose PLFs the second weekend, and faces Pets 2 the third weekend which also feels like a fall.

I don't see Rocketman as competition for this at all. That's likely gonna be skewing older for the most part (BoRap's opening weekend audience was also nearly 80% over 25 and this isn't expected to be close to as big as that was anyway).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Already?

This seems kinda confident. I was expecting critics reactions a week before the release and the reviews 1-2 days before like Dumbo.

Its premiere is this Wednesday in Paris, so that's probably why reactions are coming out so early.

• Like 2