grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

3 hours ago, movieboner said:

$175 million budget yikes

Disney remains the King of over-spending. Seems like Universal and Warner's manage to do with $80m what Disney does with $170m. At least with the Marvel and Star Wars films you see that money on the screen, but they reportedly spent $170m on DUMBO for crying out loud, and it looks like it was made for $70m.

Should have been, too, and they would have made a profit on it.

At $175m Aladdin is going to be hard-priced not to lose money.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Disney remains the King of over-spending. Seems like Universal and Warner's manage to do with $80m what Disney does with $170m. At least with the Marvel and Star Wars films you see that money on the screen, but they reportedly spent $170m on DUMBO for crying out loud, and it looks like it was made for $70m.

Should have been, too, and they would have made a profit on it.

At $175m Aladdin is going to be hard-priced not to lose money.

Well, to be fair, they're about to make 3 billion dollars on Endgame and have already made a billion on Captain Marvel and will likely make over a billion each with Lion King, Frozen 2 and Star Wars 9 and a wunderkind of a streaming service about to be unleashed on the world. A 170-million flop to them is just another Tuesday.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Aladdin should have been a slam dunk so I don't blame Disney for spending $175M on budget. Certainly makes more sense than Dumbo's budget.

Sure, but I do blame them for spending $175M on the guy who hasn't directed a box office success since 2011

Edited by stealthyfrog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I just don't understand why they picked a  crappy director. I don't get it :(

so we can test our patience and tolerance toward different visions.

Guy Ritchie is going to want to challenge us with the edits, and the niche fanbase will be grading/judging us normies on how we respond to the different visual style and how we celebrate inclusiveness

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

I think another issue with this is there is a very clear sense of Disney remake fatigue in the air. There's been a lot of think pieces and YT videos about it, and this'll be the 2nd of four theatrical ones this year.

4 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

This should’ve come out another year. Too many Disney remakes in one year.

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think another issue with this is there is a very clear sense of Disney remake fatigue in the air. There's been a lot of think pieces and YT videos about it, and this'll be the 2nd of four theatrical ones this year.

Under $300M let alone talks of sub $200M, shouldn’t be possible, this got a very tepid response at my Pikachu screening (then again My Spy was the only thing with a good reaction). Disney should have eased up and instead of being big, greedy and schedule controlling, this would’ve dominated 2020 especially without Avatar 2. 

But on the bright side, other than The Little Mermaid, Lilo and Stitch and Mulan will likely be the last big ones until Disney tries to do this crap again in the late 2030s. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I mean, he directed well-received movies before he got into the big-budget game a decade ago, aside from Swept Away (which was obviously nothing more than a vanity project for then-spouse Madonna). And aside from King Arthur, an ill-conceived bomb everyone saw coming from the moment it was given the greenlight, it's not like any of his big-budget movies have been reviled (The Man From U.N.C.L.E. got alright reviews but no one saw it).

Although we really know it's Disney brass who is guiding these movies anyway.

Edited by filmlover

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Wait till you see the movie.

Anyhow, it could be much worse. Do you know who Rian Johnson is? Any idea why the same "they" gave him the biggest brand in the world?

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

They really should have tweaked their late 2018 slate around,

They should have had Ralph come out in March 2018 like they originally planned and released Aladdin on Thanksgiving and Nutcracker in December (so it could die)and Mary Poppins in February around Valentine's Day. They could have then just kept Dumbo where it is but moved Lion King to Memorial Day and we could finally have a massive Memorial Day weekend again full of Yass Kings and meltdowns.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

42 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Anyhow, it could be much worse. Do you know who Rian Johnson is? Any idea why the same "they" gave him the biggest brand in the world?

Because he directed the two best episodes of one of the best TV shows ever and two amazing movies? He also won a DGA. Just because you watch crappy films, doesn't mean that Rian Johnson is a nobody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Disney wanted as much out in 2019 as possible in order to put as much as possible on their Disney plus. Apparently it was always in their plan to launch the streaming service following a butt load of films. Is it any wonder there's so little planned after 2019 other than what's already in production? (and very little at that as well). Even from what IS scheduled in 2020, two of them were going to be coming in 2019 (Artemis Fowl and Jungle Cruise). I am not surprised about the move of Maleficent 2 to 2019 since it is a MUCH more familiar title than Artemis Fowl. And besides the fact that it will still be in theaters when DP is launched, it will go to DP in spring, 2020. By the summer of 2020, ALL of the blockbusters from 2019 will be on streaming. So Disney pretty much had their plans all the way through spring 2020 with Mulan and Onward being their last major films. There was a master plan for sure and Aladdin was a major part of that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because he directed the two best episodes of one of the best TV shows ever and two amazing movies? He also won a DGA. Just because you watch crappy films, doesn't mean that Rian Johnson is a nobody.

Ozymandias is the probably best hour of TV I've ever seen

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

LOL, only crappy movie I've watched lately is Episode 8.

And if we go far back enough in time: Looper was insanely bad, I remember sh!tting all over the internet about how bad and overrated it was, and how the director should be fired.

If only Disney suits read my prophecy in 2012. ;)

PS: I hate TV to the point of not acknowledging its existence. Same for videogames and any sort of games. I believe only cinema and books are art - TV and games are fodder for the working class.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1