grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

The marketing for Aladdin has been insane. Solo, Poppins, and Dumbo never received even remotely as much marketing as this one. If the film "fails" as BOP suggests, it won't be due to a lack of marketing effort. And as many have said, those more prone to see the film aren't part of the highly toxic social media hate that has perpetuated society. 

It will certainly a test of whether toxic social media hate (and inevitable low RT scores) can match high visibility, nostalgia, family based entertainment.

6 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The marketing for Aladdin has been insane. Solo, Poppins, and Dumbo never received even remotely as much marketing as this one. If the film "fails" as BOP suggests, it won't be due to a lack of marketing effort. And as many have said, those more prone to see the film aren't part of the highly toxic social media hate that has perpetuated society. 

It will certainly a test of whether toxic social media hate (and inevitable low RT scores) can match high visibility, nostalgia, family based entertainment.

Solo got plenty of marketing, in fact it's unaided awareness was very high, but the marketing just wasn't that appealing to people

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jedijake said:

those more prone to see the film aren't part of the highly toxic social media hate that has perpetuated society. 

I honestly think that’s up for debate as a large part of millennials that grew up with Aladdin are on social media.

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I honestly think that’s up for debate as a large part of millennials that grew up with Aladdin are on social media.

Yes, but are they the ones spewing the hate? I guess there's no way to really know.

I like Will Smith singing the songs but my god does it seem like the musical numbers pale to the original due to the limitations of live action.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I don’t think RT scores will be bad. Something along the lines of Pikachu to BATB seems about right.

Also...we need to keep in mind, BATB (2017)’s RT is 71% which makes it one of the better-received Disney live action remakes alongside Cinderella & The Jungle Book.

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I like Will Smith singing the songs but my god does it seem like the musical numbers pale to the original due to the limitations of live action.

Pretty much this. Clip was fine (definitely feels like they nailed the tone at least) but put it side by side with the animated version and there's no question which one is the superior version.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much this. Clip was fine (definitely feels like they nailed the tone at least) but put it side by side with the animated version and there's no question which one is the superior version.

Exactly. 

When you “try to make it more in depth” (even though the remake will like be 95% the same as the original) in live action, the lose the energy and arguably the sense of wonder of the original animation. 

8 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

He’s an absolute Disney-hater (despite his username). Duh! What did we expect?

He’s always expected to hate everything Disney does nowadays.

Come on... people who critique this film aren't "disney haters". This is a Snyder fandom level reach.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Someone shared that clip on twitter and said it reminded them of the Grease Live TV musical 

Hey now, Grease Live is hardly an unflattering comparison. Still the only one of these live musical things that was worth anything.

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

They could've done more with it though.  No idea why they shot Genie straight on for most of that clip. 

The original animation darts all over the damn place during this song which makes it feel more lively.  They could've achieved a similar effect here with quick cuts and costume changes (even without the Robin Williams voice impressions).  Instead, they did it once when he's riding the ostrich and half of the shot is bland.

• Like 2