grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Disney subdued him

Yeah they made him forget how to light a scene, move a camera or pick up the pace and energy to a number bursting with with and life and wit in almost any other hands.

Why does it look so flat?  It's not because of the abundant color because Cinderella was bursting with color and looked lush.  Even the narrative turkeys like 4 Realms and the Alice in Wonderlands appealed to the eye even when a bit too garish.   Dumbo looked beautiful even if the colors were too sepia muted for my taste.  Pete's Dragon looked like a misty dream. 

But this?  Urgh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Yeah they made him forget how to light a scene, move a camera or pick up the pace and energy to a number bursting with with and life and wit in almost any other hands.

ok to be fair I didn’t watch the clip because I’ve seen the animated Aladdin.  I didn’t know it was *that* bad

• Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Alice in Wonderlands appealed to the eye even when a bit too garish

Gonna disagree with you here though.  Alice in Wonderland might be one of the most visually unpleasant movies I’ve ever watched

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The ONLY good thing about that risible movie

:apocalypse:

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Subdue is the wrong one. Castrate seems more accurate. The only good thing (aside for Will Smith but I’m a Willie fanboy) this had going for it was Ritchie’s energy, it seems lacking with energy. 

Guy "Eunich" Ritchie

Also

• Haha 1

I didnt appreciate Cinderella (2015) enough when it came out but all these recent remakes including this one has highly increased my appreciation for that movie. It was a great movie and great remake. Having Cate helped hugely of course. 

Even Maleficent was a much better retelling than any of these other ones. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

I didnt appreciate Cinderella (2015) enough when it came out but all these recent remakes including this one has highly increased my appreciation for that movie. It was a great movie and great remake. Having Cate helped hugely of course. 

Even Maleficent was a much better retelling than any of these other ones. 
Cinderella is the best remake so far. Acting production, costume design everything was so good.
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

It feels disingenuous for Disney to tout how diverse they are, and then hand Aladdin - the first big budget Hollywood film starring Middle Eastern actors, after years of bad representation - to the whitest dude around. I know a lot of indie directors make boring big budget films, if not Fant4stic level disasters, but considering how Ritchie's not even allowed to showcase his auteur sensibilities then maybe they should have just gotten some indie Arab directors?

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

It feels disingenuous for Disney to tout how diverse they are, and then hand Aladdin - the first big budget Hollywood film starring Middle Eastern actors, after years of bad representation - to the whitest dude around. I know a lot of indie directors make boring big budget films, if not Fant4stic level disasters, but considering how Ritchie's not even allowed to showcase his auteur sensibilities then maybe they should have just gotten some indie Arab directors?

They should have gotten Asghar Farhadi.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

They should have gotten Asghar Farhadi.

Out of likes, but wow that'd be an interesting choice. An incredibly intimate, music-free Aladdin film is not something I'd ever expect though (granted, I've only seen A Separation, so maybe his recent work is more commercial)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

Out of likes, but wow that'd be an interesting choice. An incredibly intimate, music-free Aladdin film is not something I'd ever expect though (granted, I've only seen A Separation, so maybe his recent work is more commercial)

Everybody Knows is pretty commercial compared to his other films. 

3 hours ago, RichWS said:

1. GREAT CLIP, as I expected - better than AWNW, which we've seen only small parts from.

2. Everyone should see this clip!

3. All songs, as evident, will be enormously entertaining! Worth alone numerous viewings of the movie. And they are NOT worse than the dated original, they are much better!!

4. I was going to see the movie in cinemas at least FIVE times, no matter what!

5. Now that I've seen this, the Shay is upping the minimum to TEN TIMES, maybe more!

6. To top all - even the Aladdin guy looks great here! I didn't like his casting, looked a bit on the ugly side in the trailers so far, acting aside. But here I can see why they chose him. He's got that cartoony face that can literally replicate the drawn faces in the original. :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

I was like, oh great, this forum and its overreaction again. But then I watched the Prince Ali clip, and... wow. It is bland, lacks of excitement and energy. Also, the point of making the live action version, is to watch all of the magic in the animated version comes to life. In this sequence, it's the genie. But then they made him appear in his human form, stripping all the magic from it.

Well, it's only a small part of the movie. We saw a glimpse of a scene in the cave with the genie and it looked intriguing. So did the magic carpet ride scene. I'm still optimistic that it will not be that bad, and I will still enjoy the movie.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1