grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Someone in the twitter responses mentioned that it looks like a number that would be done at the Disney parks and I don’t think I’ve seen a more accurate description. 

I mean aren't these remakes basically more polished versions of theme park stage adaptation shows with better actors and production values? lmao.

• Like 1

...I kind of liked it near the end. It seems that it took some time for everyone to really get into the performance....and it was still kind of halfassed.

Why continue with the boring cut if people don't wake up until the middle.

I'm a noted Guy Ritchie apologist and have tried to stay optimist about this film but I have to admit that everything I've seen just looks so... bland. Listless. I know live action inevitably sets limits that animation doesn't have but there's just such a palpable lack of energy in that clip too. It's not terrible but I feel like I'm watching an awkward choreographed performance on a mildy ugly lit movie set. Why to even get Ritchie if you're not gonna let it have his trademark verve?Performance wise Smith is good enough, he's not Williams but no one is. Jafar's and Aladdin's actors are who I'm more worried about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Guy Ritchie makes shitty film?

27701_1215372468568_500_281.jpg

Let's just say fantasy is not his strong point.....

56 minutes ago, bleachella said:

I'm a noted Guy Ritchie apologist and have tried to stay optimist about this film but I have to admit that everything I've seen just looks so... bland. Listless. I know live action inevitably sets limits that animation doesn't have but there's just such a palpable lack of energy in that clip too. It's not terrible but I feel like I'm watching an awkward choreographed performance on a mildy ugly lit movie set. Why to even get Ritchie if you're not gonna let it have his trademark verve?Performance wise Smith is good enough, he's not Williams but no one is. Jafar's and Aladdin's actors are who I'm more worried about.

I quit being an apologist for any director or wirter a long time ago. Even though I might generally like a director's work, I am not going to make excuses and defend him if he makes a crappy film..which any director is capable of doing.

I loved Ritchie when he was making those great crime dramas in the late 90's an dearly 2000's, but have not been impressed by his efforts to become another Speilberg.  he should stick to modern day film noir, at which he is very,very, good.

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

1. GREAT CLIP, as I expected - better than AWNW, which we've seen only small parts from.

2. Everyone should see this clip!

3. All songs, as evident, will be enormously entertaining! Worth alone numerous viewings of the movie. And they are NOT worse than the dated original, they are much better!!

4. I was going to see the movie in cinemas at least FIVE times, no matter what!

5. Now that I've seen this, the Shay is upping the minimum to TEN TIMES, maybe more!

6. To top all - even the Aladdin guy looks great here! I didn't like his casting, looked a bit on the ugly side in the trailers so far, acting aside. But here I can see why they chose him. He's got that cartoony face that can literally replicate the drawn faces in the original. :)

You totally lost creditbility..not you ever had much......when you said that the original is "dated".

Yeah, I think you are just talking the piss here.

5 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I like Will Smith singing the songs but my god does it seem like the musical numbers pale to the original due to the limitations of live action.

Or maybe it was simply badly choreographed?

I’ll just echo what others have stated. All of my issues regarding how this movie looks can be summed up by the fact that sometimes there are logistical limitations in trying to translate from animation to live action. And this movie looks like it’s highlighting that more than other recent adaptations.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I’ll just echo what others have stated. All of my issues regarding how this movie looks can be summed up by the fact that sometimes there are logistical limitations in trying to translate from animation to live action. And this movie looks like it’s highlighting that more than other recent adaptations.

Agreed about the logistical limitations, but the criticism of the dance numbers based just on this is misplaced. The musical numbers  just look badly done, period. They could have been so much better. Just look at some of the classic big dance numbers like the "Broadway Melody" ballet from "Singing In the Rain" or the opeing number from "West Side Story" as to what you can do with a live action musical number.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Everything about this film just looks kind of sad to me.

That is what happens when you make a bad choice for director.

What gets to me is that "King Arthur" opened something like a couple of months before filming started on this;and what happened with Arthur should have told Disney Ritchie was the wrong director for this;that  he was a poor choice for a fantasy. There was more then enough time to make a change. But the mouse stuck with Ritchie,and now will live with the consqences:A film that will not make anywhere near what it should have made.

I am not a Ritchie hates, I love his work in crime dramas. But he was wrong,wrong, wrong for this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I mean aren't these remakes basically more polished versions of theme park stage adaptation shows with better actors and production values? lmao.

Sure but this doesn’t look like it has better production values. It literally looks like a number from the parks. Regardless of how BATB and Dumbo turned out, their trailers had some of the magic in them that I’m feeling is missing from the Aladdin clips. Just my opinion of course.