grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I liked more this one .... the rhythm, the camera angles, the gags... everything is very well combined in the whole scene. it that could be done 25 years ago (with some special effects included!!!!) ... I don't see why Ritchie couldn't make a Prince Ali version closer in dynamism to the original version. 

Aladdin was by far my Disney fav from childhood (even over TLK), and I had high hopes on this live action ... which have been fading away step by step with every material it's been released. It still is Aladdin, so I hope it opens kind of good, but legs won't be there at all. And I feel very very sad about it, honestly. I really wanted this to be a very special movie, well done, well received, acclaimed  :( 

I learned the hard way that remakes of my favorite films are almost always nowhere near as good as the originals.

Once in a while here is an exception "True Grit" comes to mind...but I treat reamkes of really good movies with a lot of skepticism.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I learned the hard way that remakes of my favorite films are almost always nowhere near as good as the originals.

Once in a while here is an exception "True Grit" comes to mind...but I treat reamkes of really good movies with a lot of skepticism.

Not saying I expected the live action to be better than the animation... but at least keeping most of the magic it had. This seems a plain and grey version , and I don't like saying so :( 

Edited by meriodejaneiro

It's not bad, it's just not the Robin Williams/animated version.

The whole sequence in the original movie was done as a parade going through the entire city. It's the same feel here, the genie is just not shape-shifting around.

Some people are saying the song mistakes Ostriches for mammals, but literally as they say mammal they cut to the Abu Elephant.

Again, the remake has to live up to the Robin Williams genie or most people won't be on board.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

This clip looks lke a disaster to me.
It's not Will Smith' fault, but it's just lacking the slightest bit of life, energy and most important: magic.

You seriously have to blame direction and cinematography here.

I'm not sure what cameras they used, but the soap-effect in this clip is quite disturbing and takes away any scope and depth from the material. Also, the lack of any filters makes this look so sad.

The last trailer was so good and now this.

Beauty and the Beast was able to capture some magical shots with warm colours and close ups to camouflage, that you just can't catch up with the possibilities an animated movie has to fill the screen. 

I'm really shocked that this is a finished product. If they said this was a $20m Disney Channel production, I would buy it any minute. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Menor said:

Tbh the scene doesn't seem terrible or anything to me, it's reasonably entertaining. But it's definitely a big step down from the animated version

Yeah, it would be mediocre but inoffensive if we didn't have the animated version to compare it to.

• Like 1

The cartoon version was SO over the top that it was just outlandishly great. There's no way they can make a live action that over the top without being forced and absolutely ridiculous. Anything they do will seem like it's disappointing. People just need to enjoy and stop comparing so much.

And yes, playing it at 1.25 X is actually pretty good.

Edited by jedijake

9 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The cartoon version was SO over the top that it was just outlandishly great. There's no way they can make a live action that over the top without being forced and absolutely ridiculous. Anything they do will seem like it's disappointing. People just need to enjoy and stop comparing so much.

I get that but even compared to other live action musicals have more energy than this.

Besides you pointed out the main problem for this one as the original was so over the top, it’s destined to disappoint.

Honestly Aladdin was not a good choice imo. It's very much hinged on animation in it's characters and aesthetic and some of it's elements have aged poorly (Jafar's design being a big one). Not every Disney movie can support a live action remake as we've seen with Dumbo before this.

13 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I don't know, I feel like better results would be achieved if the film would attempt to go "over the top" instead of making things blander for live action. It doesn't have to be the same as the animated version, it just needs to have that wild energy.

Nostalgia is a two edged sword. Sure it can help a movie at the box office, but it can also destroy it if the remake/sequel is not up to standards. Aladdin is such a beloved movie, anything less than perfection will have a hard time convincing the public it's good. With this in mind, i think the next victim of this will be Top Gun 2 next year. It' gonna be so hard balancing nostalgia with modern day film making. Good luck, Kosinski

Edited by Alli
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Nostalgia is a two edged sword. Sure it can help a movie at the box office, but it can also destroy it if the remake/sequel is not up to standards. Aladdin is such a beloved movie, anything less than perfection will have a hard time convincing the public it's good. With this in mind, i think the next victim of this will be Top Gun 2 next year. It' gonna be so hard balancing nostalgia with modern day film making. Good luck, Kosinski

The Top Gun standard teeters between semi-ironic love and not very great, so it might be OK

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The Top Gun standard teeters between semi-ironic love and not very great, so it might be OK

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I don't think anyone likes Top Gun unironically.

lol   young people these days make fun of it, but i think it has its fans:  Old people who are not gonna be easily tricked into accepting the sequel. they  are very harsh critics.  As i said, i expect the sequel to be criticised and dissected just like this Aladdin remake.

edit: on the other hand, old people are not exactly wasting time on the internet

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

Top Gun Maverick is gonna be so dope.

Tom is gonna kick the asses of these evil reds !!!

Go Cruise Missile !

Some things never change and I know for a fact Russia has always been and will always be evil.

I read very educated people about this stuff so trust me on this, shit s legit.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

Sooo does a review embargo lifting day before thursday showings typically means that disney has no faith in this and this going bomb critically? Does that mean our worst fears is a reality?😱

Usually yeah.