grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

This clip looks lke a disaster to me.
It's not Will Smith' fault, but it's just lacking the slightest bit of life, energy and most important: magic.

You seriously have to blame direction and cinematography here.

I'm not sure what cameras they used, but the soap-effect in this clip is quite disturbing and takes away any scope and depth from the material. Also, the lack of any filters makes this look so sad.

The last trailer was so good and now this.

Beauty and the Beast was able to capture some magical shots with warm colours and close ups to camouflage, that you just can't catch up with the possibilities an animated movie has to fill the screen. 

I'm really shocked that this is a finished product. If they said this was a $20m Disney Channel production, I would buy it any minute. 

Let's not forget the crappy Choreography. Whoever did it is not Gene Kelly..... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They're having the international premieres first.

Probably because international critics are infamously easier on films then American critics are. Spectre was getting good reviews until American critics saw it. Though judging by the dead silence from Paris and London I doubt it's going well. Even Pikachu got buzz from London.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The mostly remakes and not much else initiative at Disney studios has been said by a lot of people to be mostly because of him. Idk it's possibly Bob Iger as well (Iger looooves his franchises alright) but by the things people have said I'm fairly sure it's Alan Horn's choice.

I would not mind Disney.s emphasis on Franchises if they would take a chance one in a while. But they seem risk averse.

Which is ironic, since taking chances and thinking outside the box was what Walt Disney..at least the 30 and 40's was all about.

Nowdays  a huge risk like "Snow White" was in 1937 ...and it was a massive risk...would probably not be greenlighted at Disney.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I would not mind Disney.s emphasis on Franchises if they would take a chance one in a while. But they seem risk averse.

Which is ironic, since taking chances and thinking outside the box was what Walt Disney..at least the 30 and 40's was all about.

Nowdays  a huge risk like "Snow White" was in 1937 ...and it was a massive risk...would probably not be greenlighted at Disney.

I guess you don't count Disney's annual live-action flops (A Wrinkle in Time, Nutcracker, Artemis Fowl, etc.) as risks?

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're having the international premieres first.

I guess my point is, if Disney was confident about the reviews then why not let the embargo drop after the international premiere? Helps build buzz, and being a remake it's not like they have to worry about spoilers.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I guess my point is, if Disney was confident about the reviews then why not let the embargo drop after the international premiere? Helps build buzz, and being a remake it's not like they have to worry about spoilers.

Has it even been confirmed that any of the trades have seen this yet? I know most of their big name critics are at Cannes right now.

24 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Possibly but with star power dying, I feel like it's more about franchise and nostalgia banking. I mean I can get why but I think the issue is, doing more then one a year like Disney used to do has now caused an incredible amount of burn out.

Disney might be going back to the Disney of the 1970's and early 80's,where lack of creativity and insistence on churning out the same product despite the fact that audiences were rejecting it almost killed the studio.

You have to wonder if not for the acquisitions like Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilms that Disney would be in a much weaker position today then it is,...since it seems to be from these rather then the core Disney companies (with the exception of the animatation division ) that most of the creativity is coming from.

Oh, they can get away with it for a while, but sooner or later it will come around to bite them in the butt.

• Like 1

"Aladdin" is my favorite Disney animated film of all time.

And I have zero interest in giving them money for this, after only brief glimpses of trailers.

I liked "Maleficent," as it was different enough for me not to classify it as a "remake," but I did not like "Beauty and the Beast" at all.

Neither did my aunt, who I saw it with.

Disney is in-between a rock and a hard place with these live action remakes. The crowd they should be trying to appeal to - those of us who grew up watching them - are attached the the better versions (the animated ones) and so are not walking out of these movies with overwhelming feelings of nostalgia, and even worse for them is that kids these days have too many other distractions to care about them beyond that moment in the theater.

I honestly hope "Aladdin" bombs, and Disney starts to rethink this cash grab "strategy."

If "The Lion King" underperforms, that would be a nail in the coffin, I'd hope, but unless it opens to very bad reviews, it's likely going to do well off its cast alone. The consensus I get from general audience friends and family is that they're excited to... hear Donald Glover and Beyonce...... do voice acting... ?????????

• Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I guess you don't count Disney's annual live-action flops (A Wrinkle in Time, Nutcracker, Artemis Fowl, etc.) as risks?

Not really; Nutcracker and Artemis Fowl (which is not a flop yet though it seems almost certain to be one) are very much classic Disney fantasies; problem was they simply were not done very well.

Wrinkle In Time also seemed like classic Disney story line;they just picked the wrong director for it

By risk I mean a film that is daring and  off beat in content;all 3 you mention were not that.

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Still I feel like any positive reviews would help build buzz. We'll see I guess

It could always end up being another Greatest Showman situation where the late embargo doesn't spell total doom (it was embargoed until midnight of opening day pacific time), even though that movie had already been nominated for some Golden Globes the weeks before (then again, they are the Golden Globes).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think the heads of Disney probably know they have a not very good film on their hands. They are going for the "
Hit and Run strategy..hope for a big box office weekend to at least cut their losses before WOM kills it.

• Like 1

wo n

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It could always end up being another Greatest Showman situation where the late embargo doesn't spell total doom (it was embargoed until midnight of opening day pacific time), even though that movie had already been nominated for some Golden Globes the weeks before (then again, they are the Golden Globes).

Problem is Aladdin cost a hell of a lot more then Greatest Showman and it does not have the Holiday season benefit.

And GS was not intended as a Summer Tent Pole the way Aladdin was.

14 minutes ago, I Am said:

"Aladdin" is my favorite Disney animated film of all time.

And I have zero interest in giving them money for this, after only brief glimpses of trailers.

I liked "Maleficent," as it was different enough for me not to classify it as a "remake," but I did not like "Beauty and the Beast" at all.

Neither did my aunt, who I saw it with.

Disney is in-between a rock and a hard place with these live action remakes. The crowd they should be trying to appeal to - those of us who grew up watching them - are attached the the better versions (the animated ones) and so are not walking out of these movies with overwhelming feelings of nostalgia, and even worse for them is that kids these days have too many other distractions to care about them beyond that moment in the theater.

I honestly hope "Aladdin" bombs, and Disney starts to rethink this cash grab "strategy."

If "The Lion King" underperforms, that would be a nail in the coffin, I'd hope, but unless it opens to very bad reviews, it's likely going to do well off its cast alone. The consensus I get from general audience friends and family is that they're excited to... hear Donald Glover and Beyonce...... do voice acting... ?????????

I admit to no interest whatsoever in these live action remakes. I caught BATB on Cable; thought it was OK but not close to the original. 

Aladdin is a favorite of mine as well, although I would put "Fantasia" and "Pinnochio " ahead of it.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

could be but i still think it's more likely they're trying to avoid meh/bad buzz sneaking out for as long as possible

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Do you think if this underperforms Disney will think twice about the radiical changes to Mulan? Cause that movie is gonna bomb.

They’re trying to get China so I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I admit to no interest whatsoever in these live action remakes. I caught BATB on Cable; thought it was OK but not close to the original. 

Aladdin is a favorite of mine as well, although I would put "Fantasia" and "Pinnochio " ahead of it.

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Do you think if this underperforms Disney will think twice about the radiical changes to Mulan? Cause that movie is gonna bomb.

This is the big issue with these remakes - if they're too close to the original, they end up not being able to compare, ala "Beauty and the Beast," but if they're radically different, ala "Maleficent," it's like............... why not just go the extra half mile and make a new movie in the first place?