grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

12 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Seemed like it was just a few hours ago some members were celebrating calling this great and getting fantastic reviews.

And all of us who weren't fooled by the early paid reviews were labeled "toxic," "negative" "haters."

I'm not one to base my or encourage others to base their movie likes and dislikes on Rotten Tomatoes scores, but this is certainly quite the amusing situation.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol why are we freaking out now? 59% is actually still much better than most were expecting.

I guess the worst thing you can say about these live-action remakes is that they expose how overall flimsy the plots of the classic animated originals were in the first place when transported from the animated realm into a flesh and blood one (as well as how animated movies vs. live-action are approached differently). The recent Dumbo remake, in which the entire plot is set in motion by the first appearance of an unquestionably adorable creature being met with boos from the audience, felt like an especially extreme example of this.

Tbh percentage doesn't matter, rotten is rotten.

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

I wonder why Jungle Book got rave reviews but the last several live action remakes have been good to so so with Dumbo being a dud. 

Just stuck mostly to the original story and wowed people with its visuals. Also Shere Khan was genuinely scary and a strong villain always helps 

Yes rotten is rotten and if 59% is "better than expected" I am not so sure there's anything to celebrate.

But the real stinger is that it started looking positive this morning. Instead of leveling out, it dropped 26 percentage points in a few hours. That hurts more than if it started low and stayed there.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I wonder why Jungle Book got rave reviews but the last several live action remakes have been good to so so with Dumbo being a dud. 

Having never seen the original movie, I didn't think live-action Jungle Book was exceptional. Nice visuals, though.

Edited by stealthyfrog

Just now, Nova said:

tbh Dumbo was always gonna be a tough one considering both how short the original was (at barely over an hour) and how dated it is today (they're cutting the crows out of the Disney+ version). It's hardly a surprise the remake goes in a much more pro-animal freedom direction.

Disney wore off the novelty after BATB imo. The remakes should've been kept as one a year vs the three+ a year approach. This isn't a cinematic universe-level output kind of franchise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

I swear if this actually goes over well with critics after all (say RT > 75), I will use this as Exhibit B for my arguments that Disney is far from infallible when it comes to  marketing their movies.

(Solo will be Exhibit A forever and always for the record)

7 hours ago, Nova said:

If this movie ends up with rave reviews, I'm forever going to question Disney's handling of this film. 

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Same, Nova, same.

*wakes up*

*sees current RT score*

*skips the 15 some odd pages he's missed*

Fine, fine, Disney Marketing.  You get to continue with your jobs for another film

Still should have released the OST a couple of weeks ago and had the World Premiere last week.  That's still pretty inexcusable.

(I really don't want to read the last 15 pages of this thread, do I?)

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

tbh Dumbo was always gonna be a tough one considering both how short the original was (at barely over an hour) and how dated it is today (they're cutting the crows out of the Disney+ version). It's hardly a surprise the remake goes in a much more pro-animal freedom direction.

This actually isn't true from what I read.